Yellow Butterfly Koi ID.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Fishin, I went out and looked closely at Shamu, and he/she definitely has big scales from dorsal fin to tail, but I don't notice any on the sides. So, it's possibly the Beni Kumonryu that you mentioned. Actually, I think when I originally posted pics of him, when he was still in the cooler before heading to the pond, someone (probably you!) named him a kumonryu, as that is what I have thought he is. I know they change colors so it will be fun to see what he/she looks like next spring! All my fish, actually, as most are young except the 3 bigger ones, and they will change, I know. The little Sanke seems to be getting it's black back, but still not the red. I saw pics of it taken when I first got it and the red is very vibrant, so I'm hopeful it will come back eventually. Sure still seems to be very healthy, eating and swimming with the others.

Reaction score
Thanks for the information Fishin, I have a few that have big scales along the top and
very smooth side? Pic's to follow later.

In the mean time, I looked at your profile Country Escape and see that you raise Bostons.
Our two sons both have Bostons. Max and Dante are my grandpuppies names :)
This is Max when he was a puppy...Max is also Dante's Pop...
we always had Beagles, so we were quite surprised how smart and affectionate
Bostons are...

I promise I'll get back to koi ...

this is Max

maxrev4-1-05.jpg

This is Dante, he is a beautiful and smart dog, I taught him the high five
one day and he never forgot it.

011.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol Joann we all divert, but eventually yank ourselves back

Reaction score
lol Joann we all divert, but eventually yank ourselves back

women are famous for that.. ;)

this is an example of koi that have large scales on top and smooth sides, we have
many like that.

our koi Silver (on the right)had long wings, after her first spawn, her wing were tattered and never recouperated.

I think the long flowing wings on the butterflies are just as memorizing as the long flowing tails. :heartpump:

P1010308fish_rev__10-17-05.JPG

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Joann do you have any other pics of your pond on the forum somewhere? I really like how your pond looks in the picture with your dog on the deck.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Fishin, I went out and looked closely at Shamu, and he/she definitely has big scales from dorsal fin to tail, but I don't notice any on the sides. So, it's possibly the Beni Kumonryu that you mentioned. Actually, I think when I originally posted pics of him, when he was still in the cooler before heading to the pond, someone (probably you!) named him a kumonryu, as that is what I have thought he is. I know they change colors so it will be fun to see what he/she looks like next spring! All my fish, actually, as most are young except the 3 bigger ones, and they will change, I know. The little Sanke seems to be getting it's black back, but still not the red. I saw pics of it taken when I first got it and the red is very vibrant, so I'm hopeful it will come back eventually. Sure still seems to be very healthy, eating and swimming with the others.

The difference between a Beni Kumonryu and a Kumonryu is the orange/red. beni would mean it has the red or orange marking. I've seen some fish that started as a Kumonryu and later discovered it was a beni kumonryu and the sumi was covering the orange/red pattern. You'll find that the black changes colors with the seasons. Most coloration changes with it will take place in the spring and fall but will be most intense during the winter. Red, can be brought back out and made more intense with food, Freeze dried krill or Mystic shrimp will help intensify the reds. Sumi is directly effected by Uv rays so not much you can do with it except for shade or bringing outdoors and then you really don't have a clue on a kumonryu what it will do when it does change. Mine changed from a nice blotched pattern when I got it, to almost snowwhite during the fall, and then almost solid black with a white nose and belly during the spring. It was starting to make another change and the owl got it. I've been looking for another one in butterfly this year but no luck getting one I liked yet. I bought one (from ebay) but when I got it it was a Matsukawabakke not a Kumonryu. Was suppose to have a lemon head in the pictures when I bought it it did, when I got it there was no yellow and the yellow never came back. This fish has changed since the day I got it. When I got bit by the spider and was inside for over a week it changed so much in that one week it took me a while to figure out what fish it was. lol

Reaction score
Tmann, be careful what you wish for. I have thousands of photos. :)
Truthfully though, I've been lax with my picture taking lately.

I hope you take some photos this weekend as the water in gin,

if you go to youtube ...clifflovesjoann....you'll see tons of videos.

this is the last one I took.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Joann you have done a really nice job with your landscaping around the pond. Are most of your flowers that are blooming annuals or is it a mix of perennial too?

Reaction score
Tmann, I can't take credit for the landscaping...the head groundskeeper around here is
Cliff, he's an avid gardener...
To answer your quention...the beds all around the pond are planted with perrenials.
ground type covering such as vinca vine, english ivy, hostas, ferns, purple palace,
forget me nots, just to name a few...they're are others as well. He also has Japanese
Iris, buttercups, bearded iris, poppies, and more perrenials...as well as low growing evergreens.

The object is to have everything fill in early in April, and then in the beginning of May he puts
around baskets of impatients, begonias, petunias, etc...these pots are buried into the ground coverings.
thus, instant gratification, without weeding! ...There is no room for weeds around the pond
or any other of the flower beds for that matter.

The pond also has 'shelves' all around... the shelves are about 15" deep x 12" wide. they're
not visable cause they are rocked all the way up to ground level...we also plant between the rocks
on these shelves, both in pots and bare root. it is pictured in the pic below, the taro and umbrella
palm are planted bare root on the shelves.
all the flowers you see on the big waterfall as well as behind the dog are in pots...the object is
to make them look like they are growing in big clusters from the ground...

Another thing we have is lotus pots that are planted outside the pond. The pots are buried
ground level and look like they're coming from inside the pond.
I'll find lotus pic's for you...

P1010275pond__rev__9-18-05.JPG

ok, this lotus is growing in a buried pot at ground level, it's over 6 ft tall.

P1010273lotus_rev_7-31-06.JPG

this is another example of dense planting...
this is a cute pic...do you see the chipmonk leaning on the rock with one
hand and staring down the hound?

p1010186chipmonk_rev__5-28-04.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
cute little chipmunk, love your pot plantings that sure does make it nice, and can rotate in what is currently blooming.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Love the pics! I want a lotus soooo bad, but have found NONE in my area! I guess I'll have to try to locate some seeds on-line and try to start them inside for next year. :) I've become addicted to the lotus ever since Addy posted the link on how to grow them. It's a "gotta have" in my mind until I get one.... or two or three. Anyone have any specific site that they have purchased from, or do you all have the luck of finding them locally? My problem is that only Menards locally has pond plants, which sucks. I would like more variety, but my small town doesn't have it. If there is a place within 100 miles, I would make the drive, just to get more variety!

Reaction score
Country, I'll send you seeds in the late fall ,when I cut my pods off...after they dry out -- the seeds fall out.
I use the pods in my arrangement on my DR table.

Our Lotus are planted in big tubs at ground level. In the fall after we rake and bag all the leaves,
we cut the lotus back and cover the tubs with bags of leaves to insulate them...we live in zone 7
and they do great weathering the winter.

P1010283lotus__rev_8-12-05.JPG

Ask a Question