Batterning down the hatches in the South West "yet again".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Another one is tracking across te Atlantic with more of the same winds , weve lost the only rail link to Corwall everywhere is taking a mauling .
Some iconic buildings have been undermined by the sea "the clock tower in Kingsands being one sea walls already damaged have even more damage to them .
As I said to Becky in a PM everyone says they cannot remember weather like this not even the Hurricane in 89 caused so much damge as we are seeing now .
I know the US and Canada are getting their fair share of things too .
We can only grin and bear it sadly

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Went out to check on the koi today we have a parasol that covers the bench we sit on giving us shade from the sun ,
It was embeded 10" into the soil and in a closed position lashed by bungee starps so as not to be affected by any wind .
The wind found its way under the edge of this parasol removed the bungee straps and ripped it out of the ground , picked it up depositing it 20 ft away in Jeffs garden (totally Amazing)....................

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
oh my that is horrible! Those poor people. Very frightening

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That looks like a huge tidal wave! Bad deal for sure! It seems so nice to be able to live so near the water that we forget how much power it has in a storm. Not going to live near the beach. I can walk or drive my car to get there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
True j.w. news just in news wise...... in the last lot to hit us a good friend of mines uncle Tony lost 25 ft of his koi house roofing and side paneling, when the ind got a grip under its roof and tore the whole lot away .
At the moment we are begining to be hit by the next big storm in this series of storms to hit us .
This one is supposed to be eve worse than the last .

Davve

Reaction score
Dave,

I was just reading in the science news about ancient footprints found on the east coast of Britain. 800K to 1M years old.
The researchers got excellent 3D images of the footprints, but the tides from the North Sea washed them away shortly.

Here is the article: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/02/07/scientists-find-800000-year-old-footprints-in-england/

I thought of this when I read your comments regarding the ferocity of the wind. The find would be (well, it was) on the other side of Britain from you, on the east coast somewhere.

I found the subject very interesting.

Gordy

Reaction score
I have to mention that if those people who made those footprints on the east coat of Britain, possibly 1M years ago, survived the severe weather back then, then you and I will survive the weather we experience today.

Gordy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Gordy yes my friend that was of great interest to me as well , it was back before the landbridge between us and Europe was still intact .
Read up about all the differing species of creatures bones trawlers regulary dredge up , it speaks of something catastrophic happening back then say the ice dam breaking and swamping all before it .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well the last spot of bad weather turned out to be a bit of a damp squid when it came to storm force winds etc ,would you believe that I even managed to do a water change on the pond :)
However better not sit back on our Luarels as there is more bad weather to come throughout the rest of the month and into March.
Now that London is getting its fair share of flooding those Polititians are sitting up and listening big style now that its starting to effect their core votes there .... :D

Dave.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad that one missed you Dave. The politicians always start to listen once their votes start getting affected.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good to hear you got a bit of a reprieve Dave. Spring is coming.................hang tight :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Here we go again awoke to driving rain dark grey sky and a promise of an intense eather system which is about to strike us here in the South West .
We can expect 80mph winds and this can only add to the flooding problems that the Somerset Levels.
Trees are already being brought down we even had one go in the Supermaket park we use .
All we can do is sit tight and hope everything is alright pond wise as its too windy to get out and check on the covers at this moment in time

Dave

Ask a Question