Batterning down the hatches in the South West "yet again".

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hang on Dave, it has to stop at some time, we can hope

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
My god weve just gone through one with Hurrican strength winds that trashed Wales and the North with a recorded wind speed of 108 mph and we are right back into the next storm.
It appears these are being generated over the US by warm Far Eastern winds mixing with the Arctic vortex you had which is forcing the Jet stream down over the Carribean then warming it up and launching wave after wave of storms up to the UK and Ireland .
Now that the River Thames has bust its banks and flooded a great area our Political ellite are queing up for photo shoots on the TV promising money to fix all our problems .
Well we in the South West are sceptical of this is it a case of PM speaking with forked tounge as most polititians often do, or does he mean it because they now recon it will be May before all this water disapates ( thats if it stops raining at the end of the month )...
God knows whats going to happen food wise in the UK this year I can see it hiked up because of a lack of non flooded farm land

Dave

Reaction score
Dave,

I read about this on the news again just yesterday. Man, you guys are really getting hammered. Hunker down and hold on to something anchored well! I know what those winds can do as I have seen lesser winds lay our landscape nearly bare. It doesn't have to be a tornado or a cyclone or hurricane to inflict major damage. Straight-line winds do just as much if they are ferocious enough. I hope that your property and Val and you and your family stay safe. Watch out for eachother and just do your best to ride it all out.

Gordy

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Unreal Dave, hang on there. Sorry our artic vortex is messing with your country. We are sure tired of it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Incredible Dave the pictures we are seeing over here of your flooding.
It's like the flooding we had here in Alberta, but it looks like it's even bigger than that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Its the people of the Somerset levels we really feel for most are farmers and villagers and whilst we do feel for them the people around the Thames knew from time to time that it bursts its banks but those poor people in Somerset have watched this grow and grow since before Christmas with no help from the government each farm and village loosing the battle to raising water 6ft deep in places .
The PM didn't show his face at all until Prnce Charles shamed him into action when he visited the Somerset Levels, by then it was too late for them .
Thankfully farmers and rural vilagers are a hardy bunch and they have gotten together to help each other out , no farmers from all around are rallying to their aid with silage food for the animals etc the first convoy coming down all the way from Yorkshire tractor after tractor with trailers high with hay ans silage, carrots you name it , other farmers are taking livestock in on their farms , its this that makes you proud to be British not these polititians suddenly jumping on the band wagon for photo shoots to be seen to be doing something so that they get voted in in the next election .
This time however far to many people are hurting and they are very worried personally I dont think they could oganize a P*** up in a Brewery .
They have had it too soft for far too long at the expence of the British tax payer its time they started to make things count not blame each other from who did what and when.
The People of the levels are being flooded because this government kept cutting back the enviroments agency , who in turn didnt listen to those who know best and didnt dredge when asked to , then last year when they flooded the PM said he would invest £30.0000.0000 in pumps and dredging and they saw how much ???
Nothing well this time its three times as bad and the PM has to act .
We at the moment are being bufferted by high winds and rain but are snug inside.

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The Herald here in plymouth I postd a link to it earlier .
Tonight we are taking yet another battering with 80 mph winds many places around Plymouth are flooded .
The clock tower in Kingsands is taking another battering and you could see bits being knocked of off it on the news , its already damaged at its base tonight will be the decider for it we think.
You can hear the windows flexing again and the gas fire was blown out earlier .
The bushes in our garden are bent almost in half and man have we had some rain today .
The weather people say this hopefully will be the last ,
They reported that their weather bouys out at sea are recording 45 ft waves which have grown from 25 ft as things worsten

Dave

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What you are having is way worse than some snow. Keep hanging in there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanx addy the nearest snow to us will be on Dartmoor around 10 miles away , thankfully it seems to protect Plymouth inmost cases being at a higher elevation to us .
However I wouldnt like to be up there tonight
Just looking back to my original bad weather thread I've just realized that weve had this since Novermber vitually non stop one storm after another .

Dave

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And we have had more snow and cold since november guess they go hand in hand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh boy oh boy ho boy whats that golden orb in the blueness of the sky we must have been blown into summer by the hurricane strength winds .
What a nice day it is outside must put our facttor 30 sunscreen on ;)

Dave :)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Very scary Dave, hope this freaky weather does not continue to spring. We have had a pretty cold winter here, but not too bad as it is fairly normal for us to get severe cold. At this point I just want to sit in the sun and not get battered by extra cold winter or some freaky storm. Weather has been abnormal this year for lots of people, all I can say is I hope it is not some new weather trend....

Ask a Question