Best type of tank lighting for plants?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a standard 20 gal. FW tank with a single fluorescent bulb. I can't recall what kind of bulb I have in there now, but it took going through several before I found one that seemed to stimulate plant growth as well as brighten up the tank. I did try to go by what was printed on the packaging, but one bulb that I got said it was "best for plants," but not only did my plants suck, but the light was too "blue" which made the tank dark and unnatural looking [in my opinion].

1. For fluorescent bulbs, what's the best light spectrum, etc. to look for? Also, I read that there's something in the numbers that also indicates how DEEP the light rays will penetrate, but when I look at the labeling of the on-shelf lights, I can'd find this.
  2. What about LED lights? Are they better or same as fluorescent?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have the LED lights on two of my tanks and I really like them. I have one regular and one double and I like the double bright better. Eventually I would like to replace all my lights with the LED lights.

If your just looking for something a bit brighter and cheaper than the LED maybe buy a fluorescent hood that has double lights rather than the single.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Lights for planted tanks, big topic! A single T8 fluorescent bulb with with a basic white reflector will put you right on the high end of low light in a standard 20 high. Which I think is a great place to be unless you want to start adding ferts and co2, just keep in mind your light level when selecting plants. A good range is 5500k to 6500k. 6500k will give off a more bit more blue color but it considered the sweet spot for plants.

LED lights can be fantastic for planted tanks! Low energy use, low heat output, gives a nice shimmer effect etc. They can be pricey and you have to make sure they are intended for growing plants, any old LED fixture isn't going to work.

As far as something in the numbers to indicate how deep it penetrates, I've never seen or heard of it. How far a light will penetrate varies from type (fluorescent, compact fluorescent, T5NO, T5HO, Halide etc), the reflector, if it has to penetrate a glass top with water spots, if the the surface of the water is agitated and on and on.

Keep it simple, buy a bulb within 5500k and 6500k and replace it when you notice unusual algae or deformed plant growth. ;)

EDIT: Sorry just realized how old this post was.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Lights for planted tanks, big topic! A single T8 fluorescent bulb with with a basic white reflector will put you right on the high end of low light in a standard 20 high. Which I think is a great place to be unless you want to start adding ferts and co2, just keep in mind your light level when selecting plants. A good range is 5500k to 6500k. 6500k will give off a more bit more blue color but it considered the sweet spot for plants.

LED lights can be fantastic for planted tanks! Low energy use, low heat output, gives a nice shimmer effect etc. They can be pricey and you have to make sure they are intended for growing plants, any old LED fixture isn't going to work.

As far as something in the numbers to indicate how deep it penetrates, I've never seen or heard of it. How far a light will penetrate varies from type (fluorescent, compact fluorescent, T5NO, T5HO, Halide etc), the reflector, if it has to penetrate a glass top with water spots, if the the surface of the water is agitated and on and on.

Keep it simple, buy a bulb within 5500k and 6500k and replace it when you notice unusual algae or deformed plant growth. ;)

EDIT: Sorry just realized how old this post was.
Thank you, and it's OK that it's and older post. That was a lot of very helpful information!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I actually got some nice info from this old post ;) thanks. I cant seem to grow plants in my tank even though the nitrate is high... ugh..

Ask a Question