Darksaber Pond - My Next Adventure

20' by 30' pond w/ 30' stream and 10' by 20' wetland
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
While @milonedp has a build i would add to the amazing pond build threads that i made. Though yours is not including all the bells and whistles I know the pallet you started with and you and your builder did a super job. there's no volcano. no ring of pearls waters clear it's not just round or centered deep in the middle of the pond all these help to make a build look natural and natural is always more appealing to the eye. imho . It takes a special design for the simple to come out so appealing to the eye

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
Irrigation has been going in this week but now we are looking at 13 of the next 15 days raining so the landscaping may not start Monday like it was supposed to. We'll have to see how much that changes. Not much other to share till the landscaping starts.

Starting to think about QTing some fish that'll go in late March-early April. The average temp here by the end of March is 70s during the day and mid 40s at night, not sure what that would translate to water temp wise.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are many koi sites out there where you can buy the fish now and they will hold them until your ready to receive them BUT ONE VERY STRONG WORD OF ADVICE!!!!!!!!! never put ANY fish in the pond until they sit in a medicated bath first call it a covid quaranteen Even the best fish supplier can infect your pond . Did you get an accurate count of the amount of gallons in your pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
There are many koi sites out there where you can buy the fish now and they will hold them until your ready to receive them BUT ONE VERY STRONG WORD OF ADVICE!!!!!!!!! never put ANY fish in the pond until they sit in a medicated bath first call it a covid quaranteen Even the best fish supplier can infect your pond . Did you get an accurate count of the amount of gallons in your pond?

Yep that's why I'm thinking about QTing myself. Sounds like you do a prophylactic QT? So you have a method you follow?

12,000 gallons with some wiggle room cause it rained and then I think evaporated back to the water level before I filled more. When I drain again I may track it again to confirm.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know it hurts a bit but take my word for it it's never easier then it is now . i'd stir up the pond as much as possible one last time. drain it and get a pool company to ill you up. knowing the exact number will be a huge piece of mind when you have to medicate. and where your doing a swim pond. you want to stay away from a lot of the best medications for your koi. Melchite green for example is cancer causing and it is a go to for most parasites. Your organic meds can be less effective if not the exact dosage. I did not QTting and figured id be fine if i only bought from the best. i was wrong . so i have made a small hospital tank it's a 4x4x4 box

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
I know it hurts a bit but take my word for it it's never easier then it is now . i'd stir up the pond as much as possible one last time. drain it and get a pool company to ill you up. knowing the exact number will be a huge piece of mind when you have to medicate. and where your doing a swim pond. you want to stay away from a lot of the best medications for your koi. Melchite green for example is cancer causing and it is a go to for most parasites. Your organic meds can be less effective if not the exact dosage. I did not QTting and figured id be fine if i only bought from the best. i was wrong . so i have made a small hospital tank it's a 4x4x4 box
I've always QTd the fish in my reef and I plan to do that with this as well so hopefully I never have to treat the main pond.

That said I still plan to drain at least one more time and I'll track the fill when I do that. I have some meters for that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
Morning folks! Been slow for a bit while we dealt with a lot of rain spaced out just enough to slow each vendor down, I'll be posting some electrical, landscaping, and hardscaping work. I didn't record the irrigation, hopefully no one was interested in that.

Day 24 of work - electrical and finishing touches on the edge work, kinda boring day.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@milonedp just wait this time next year it will be hard to believ e your yard just went under this transformation it's been really cool with the laps time.. Keep um coming i know i'm eaten it up

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
@milonedp just wait this time next year it will be hard to believ e your yard just went under this transformation it's been really cool with the laps time.. Keep um coming i know i'm eaten it up

Thanks, I think mid March well be planting the smaller land plants then we can run the drip lines in the irrigation and then finally get the mulch in.

Early April for the bog plants. Might not get fish till the same time and I want to QT them. Do you think there will be enough nutrients in the water for the bog plants without fish for a few months?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks, I think mid March well be planting the smaller land plants then we can run the drip lines in the irrigation and then finally get the mulch in.

Early April for the bog plants. Might not get fish till the same time and I want to QT them. Do you think there will be enough nutrients in the water for the bog plants without fish for a few months?
SOME YES SOME NO it all depends on the plant i would stay away from any plants that is labeled as fussy or hard to get it started or keep alive like Golden club and others. But i would start shopping now. Many of the better deales will let you buy now and set a shipping date for later Be picky very picky as you many have these fish for decades.

Ask a Question