Darksaber Pond - My Next Adventure

20' by 30' pond w/ 30' stream and 10' by 20' wetland
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Not a fan of salting a pond, if that's what you mean. You have to mess with salinity levels, as the salt never actually leaves the pond, so when water evaporates, concentration increases. If you remove water from the pond in an effort to reduce the salt, you have to be careful how you dispose of it, as it can be less than beneficial in a garden for example, depending on the salinity level. And pond plants can struggle to grow in salted water.

As a treatment for an individual fish it has it's place. Salt can also kill parasites, but there is new evidence that suggests parasites are developing a resistance to salt, much like bacteria and antibiotics. So overuse - like full pond salting - can have a deleterious effect. We have only used a salt bath one time for a fish with hole in the head, but it worked beautifully. Healed up just in time for a skunk to come along and fish him out of the pond and devour him! Haha!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
Not a fan of salting a pond, if that's what you mean.

Thanks, that's helpful. I was really only thinking about salting the QT system then transitioning them to the pond. Thinking that matching the distributor's water as close as possible so the least amount of transition the day they arrive. Then when they are feeding, strong, and stable in QT slowly reducing the salt level the last week of QT to no salt which would match the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yes that was where I came up with the thought. They are in .35% when raised.

I've never heard that before. But I guess it's not surprising. I think salt in a pond is a much more common and accepted practice in the koi world vs the garden pond world. That's where I always make sure the advice I'm reading doesn't cross that invisible barrier. Some advice you read about keeping koi in a pond is specific to a dedicated koi pond, which may be necessary if you overstock a pond and rely on heavy filtration, vs keep the bio load low and want to grow plants in your pond to aid in filtration. All ponds are not created equal, in other words.

How many fish are you getting? And more importantly - WHEN ARE THEY COMING??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
WHEN ARE THEY COMING??

5 to start. In the 6 inch range. Yesterday, they are in the QT tank now. I ended up deciding on no salt for now, figuring Koi are way more hardy than the Saltwater fish I get and these were coming from a different part of the state and the Saltwater fish I get comes from across the country so the stress shouldn't be too bad.

I have a seachem ammonia alert in the tank as insurance but plan on doing regular large water changes even once the cycle is completed.

So now we wait, and watch....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
exciting days what did you get ? hows the landscraping coming

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would have loved to have gotten my hands on that one pool out in CA. With the old gazebo base at one end of the pool.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
Sorry for the long gap. The nurseries didn't have all the plants so theb landscaping keeps getting set back. Most of the land plants are in and the drip line for the irrigation should get done next week. The good news is that the pond plants should be coming this week so I'm hoping to have some more pictures for everyone soon.

We've been swimmimg a few times or rather I went in once and the girls have gone in every day this week.

Mostly the water is clear with a green tint which is to be expected until we get some plants in there. Plus I'm guessing it'll go through an ugly stage till it finds some balance. Hopefully all goes well with the plants this week before the algae can get to much of a foot hold.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
As amazing as it looks now, those of us with mature ponds know that it will only continue to improve with age. As your plants fill in and grow and add texture and color around the pond, it's going to be GORGEOUS! What a fantastic job they did!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
Thanks I'm super excited to finish up the landscaping and just let it mature. I'm sure I'll also tweak here and there adding new plants, etc...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sweet it's coming along nicely I love that you spent the money on the weathered li.e stone I love that stuff I would have used those as well but I got my rock pretty much for free only had to buy a few choice pieces.
Congrats you'll enjoy that for years

The only advice I can give at this point is beware of invasive species. They can really become a nuisance so patience is key . If you need some quick growing plants but are easily removed try water cress. And maybe even mint . Both grow very fast but seem to be easily removed.

Ask a Question