United States
playitkoi has been good to me i have a huge order coming in another week

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Congrads the builder did you right. it looks amazing . I'm amazed at the water flow though it looks like your pushing 8,000 gph at max or am i seeing things?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
Congrads the builder did you right. it looks amazing . I'm amazed at the water flow though it looks like your pushing 8,000 gph at max or am i seeing things?

That is two AP 1-120 Performance Pro Artesian Pumps 12,000 GPH each at 6' head and a third for the jets and urns. There is a decent amount of head pressure and the way they did the plumbing wasn't super clean so there's more loss there. I think they calculated it at 23k for the entire system so maybe 14k at the waterfall? Which come to think of it I'm not sure that's right. Total volume is 13k so 1 turn over an hour seems higher than reality.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
Question on the intake bay. I have mostly river rocks in the intake bay and leaves and debris of get pulled into the rocks, should I have a smaller gravel over top to act like a pre-filter and make it easier to net things out?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
Question on algae. This year we've had a ton of algae growing almost as mats on the bottom and then floating up over time. It's as though something has died and released all the organics but all the fish are there. We did plant a number of irises in the spring that didn't make it but the amount of algae seems excessive.

Water is really clear it's just these mats that are growing on the bottom and then floating up, any thoughts?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Question on algae. This year we've had a ton of algae growing almost as mats on the bottom and then floating up over time. It's as though something has died and released all the organics but all the fish are there. We did plant a number of irises in the spring that didn't make it but the amount of algae seems excessive.

Water is really clear it's just these mats that are growing on the bottom and then floating up, any thoughts?
Hard to see what plants are in the bog/pond and which ones around the landscape of the pond. The species of a plants matter on nutrient banking/consumption to starve out algae. Irises are good nutrient consumers, but the issue is they can take a year or so to really get going. Ones that grow quickly almost right away are water celery, water cress, forgetmenots, marsh marigold, parrot feather, creeping Jenny, too name a few. You want plants that grow like wildfire, but are easy to weed back, ie don’t have huge root systems, the aforementioned fit that bill. My bogs get overrun with these plants numerous times through out the summer, where I have to get in there and weed out a wheel barrow fulls. Think about it as the faster a given plant grows the more nutrients it needs and consumes to achieve that growth, thus starving out the algae.

Ask a Question