Darksaber Pond - My Next Adventure

20' by 30' pond w/ 30' stream and 10' by 20' wetland
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You turned your backyard into a staycation. In time do you think this will keep you home and not go out looking for something to do. People say I was nuts spending the money I did to build the pond but I feel in the long run going out to eat and not wanting to go on vacation fight the airlines and traffic I wake up to an all inclusive WITH NO TIME LIMITS

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You turned your backyard into a staycation. In time do you think this will keep you home and not go out looking for something to do. People say I was nuts spending the money I did to build the pond but I feel in the long run going out to eat and not wanting to go on vacation fight the airlines and traffic I wake up to an all inclusive WITH NO TIME LIMITS

You spent a fraction of what you'd have paid a compentant contractor to create it for you. And you got features that 99% of contractors would never even be open to building. Been doing the math on my own build. Most DIY projects, you're doing good if you come in at 50% of the contracted price, but looking like I'll be closer to 10-15%. Lotta margin in the luxury pond business!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Milonedp, your pond is just so amazing and huge! Everything about it looks professionally done. I’m sure you will enjoy it every day of the year, no matter if it’s swimming temp or not! And the only time we have sun coming into our dining room is this time of year in the morning. We just switch where we sit if necessary.
I know we paid a lot to have our pond built for us last summer, but it’s done properly and well, and I never would have been able to figure out how to lay all the boulders on the edge had I done it myself. But doing it myself would sure have saved money! The builder said that 1/3 of the cost is materials, 1/3 is rock, and 1/3 is labor. I’m certain I could have gotten quality pumps, pipes, etc far cheaper than them using Aquascape products, but we are thrilled with the pond.
Also, although my two ponds in IL were each dug by hand (me and my shovel, but I had a tractor and loader to move the dirt), the digging there was super easy compared to digging here in OH! Not only more clay here in Oh, but oh my the rocks!!! Took me forever to plant the 200+ plants I brought from IL due to hitting rock almost every hole.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
I think we will travel less and have more family and friends come here to visit us. Probably won't pay for the pond but for us it's definitely worth it. My wife who was a little skeptical about the spend at first now says it was worth every penny.

The company that did it came and had a commercial professionally done. If it's allowed I'll post it once they release it to the public. The pictures are so much better than what I can ever do.

We have some friends who are photographs, need to see if we can trade a fancy dinner or something with them doing some pictures for us.

Some days we even alternate working from our back deck so someone is out there all pretty much all the time. Only thing I wish we had was a fireplace built into the edge of the deck, project for another year maybe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think we will travel less and have more family and friends come here to visit us. Probably won't pay for the pond but for us it's definitely worth it. My wife who was a little skeptical about the spend at first now says it was worth every penny.

The company that did it came and had a commercial professionally done. If it's allowed I'll post it once they release it to the public. The pictures are so much better than what I can ever do.

We have some friends who are photographs, need to see if we can trade a fancy dinner or something with them doing some pictures for us.

Some days we even alternate working from our back deck so someone is out there all pretty much all the time. Only thing I wish we had was a fireplace built into the edge of the deck, project for another year maybe.
just send @GBBUDD a plane ticket; he'll be there in no time...
winking-smilie-blue-sm.gif

smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WHILE I'D NOT RUN FROM ANY PROJECT WHEN IT COMES TO MASONRY MY VOTE WOULD BE FOR @RobAmy . YOU WANT SOMETHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY A LITTLE TWISTED A LITTLE MORE ARTISTIC THEN OK IM THE MAN FOR THE JOB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
WHILE I'D NOT RUN FROM ANY PROJECT WHEN IT COMES TO MASONRY MY VOTE WOULD BE FOR @RobAmy . YOU WANT SOMETHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY A LITTLE TWISTED A LITTLE MORE ARTISTIC THEN OK IM THE MAN FOR THE JOB
you're hurtin' ma head, GB: sounds like you are recommending RobAmy for the fireplace job!!! I was talkin' better photos but ifn you've moved on past that...

...Is this a GB chimney? heh heh My dad wouldn't easily been able...

flat,1000x1000,075,f.u2.jpg

smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hell no .....thats a ohio brick twist not my style what so ever my idea of a fire pit is a boulder with a cut out like a bowl with a copper liner. thats more my cup of tea

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hell no .....thats a ohio brick twist not my style what so ever my idea of a fire pit is a boulder with a cut out like a bowl with a copper liner. thats more my cup of tea
t'were your words, Sir Hogmaster! "...A LITTLE TWISTED MORE ARTISTIC..."

smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I see your point but to a person who sees swords as fencing .yes I guess that's how you'd see twisted I prefer a overly heavy double sided axe more of a viking thing the Mrs calls me her knight in tarnished armor. So when I say twisted I mean mentally more then literally.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I mean mentally more then literally.
Go figure the twisted Viking wants to use that double sided axe on a good deal of things going on today. Who wants the safe home for the family and community who wants to string up these loonies and there brilliant ideas . iN CONSTUCTION you will fail every time if you are not thinking 10 steps ahead of your actions and that's the whole problem today . Hey lets do this, it's cute. "WRONG" LOOK down the road and Wake Up

Ask a Question