water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
An update.

The fish are growing, (they get fed once a day a little good koi food). I have a fluval canister filter running, but decided with the way they are growing, the tank being a little over populated, they needed more filtration.

So we now have a diy up flow lava rock filter in our living room. DSC04739.JPG Gravity flow back to the tank.
Now need to dress it up a little. The cinder block was just brought inside (reason for dampness) I have the 5 gallon bucket inside a tub just in case we have any drips.

Took a small fountain pump, a piece of garden hose. We drilled holes into the garden hose, did a circle with it on the bottom of the bucket. poured a bunch of rock over the hose. Good old pl roofing goop made a great seal around the hose coming out of the bucket === a filter! lol

Attachments

• DSC04751.JPG
    DSC04751.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC04740.JPG
    DSC04740.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC04743.JPG
    DSC04743.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC04744.JPG
    DSC04744.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 244
  • DSC04745.JPG
    DSC04745.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 298
  • DSC04746.JPG
    DSC04746.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC04747.JPG
    DSC04747.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC04748.JPG
    DSC04748.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 290
  • DSC04749.JPG
    DSC04749.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 263

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You are so clever w/ the filter pump idea! Should work great and your fish are looking much bigger and very pretty colors. Now lets see how you dress it up :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beginning to look like a city bus get the crowbar we can squeeze one more in . :razz:

laughing, honey said to go get a few more ................ I told him we have enough. They need to stay happy until it warms so I can put them in the 1000 gallon stock tank.

I used your favorite filter medium Sissy, Lava rock. I used it before in my ponds, it works great. My set up is not easy to clean, but I most likely will not need to clean it before I take the fish outside. If I need to clean it, will have to take bucket and all into the shower and flush it. The food they are being fed (kenzen koi pellets) they make very little waste. Never see those long brown strings coming out! lol. The bottom of the tank stays clean. I also have a bunch of trap doors in the tank, you can see the trails they make cleaning the glass.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
addy, once you put the others out you can start all over w/ some nice new ones in your tank to keep Honey happy :razz:

And when that good food is gone,you won it right? and it's kinda expensive, are you gonna continue to buy it cuz I'm thinking of maybe getting some, keep it in the freezer and dole it out when needed during the warmer months. Sounds like it's a good food for them, keep them well and happy and I like the less poop idea.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
addy, once you put the others out you can start all over w/ some nice new ones in your tank to keep Honey happy :razz:

And when that good food is gone,you won it right? and it's kinda expensive, are you gonna continue to buy it cuz I'm thinking of maybe getting some, keep it in the freezer and dole it out when needed during the warmer months. Sounds like it's a good food for them, keep them well and happy and I like the less poop idea.

I have enough for a few years JW, goldies do not eat the amounts that Koi do. I have 30 lbs, it comes air sealed and it is all in the freezer. I just pull out what I need for a few weeks. I won a bag and bought 2 on sale, thinking they would eat a lot, they don't.
If you look at the cost it is really not that bad, on sale around 6.90 per lb (on sale lol) No corn products

HAH... another one spoiling their fish. the more that do it ..the less alone i feel... lol nicely done!

These guys are totally spoiled! Right under our tv, nice clean water and no herons!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
in 6 years, i havent found herons to a problem in my basement either!....................................................................................................lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
addy where do you buy that food? I think I found a place here in Washington that sells it and another place called Young again pet food. They sell it in smaller quantities too cuz 30lbs of fish food would take up a lot of room in my freezer in the garage. For 10 lbs it would cost me about $7.50 a lb or $8. a lb at the other site.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Let me do some searching see if they have it on sale now.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
No hurry but thanks addy. I still have a bunch of the other stuff I need to use up first. Just when it runs out would be nice to know where to find it someday.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never had goldfish not have those brown strings hanging out all of the time. With this food you never see the strings. A lot less waste.

I cleaned the tank yesterday, the bottom was clean, nothing to really get rid of. I have noticed my pond bottom is a ton lot cleaner. The gf out there got kenzen all summer.

I am impressed with the food.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I am impressed w/ you being impressed and when mine runs out I'm getting some of that stuff. Might be a long time tho as I've got a bunch of the tetra brand and the Wardleys in the freezer right now.

Reaction score
What food are you feeding Addy? I would be all over a good food at $7 lb!

I just went and looked at the price tags on my last two bags of food..

8 lb bag was $59.99 (Tetra Vibrance) and the 1.72 lb bag was $29.99 (Tetra Spring & Fall)...

Ask a Question