Feeding fish with other than fish food?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Koi are carp and i use to catch carp with OATMEAL BALLS AND CORN They devour both.
they also chew up the weed whacker clippings that land in the water.
they valso nibble away on water cress as i toss in clumps for them from the stream
WOW Thats all i have to say.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine get just fish food when I do feed them.

My pups get the highest quality dog food I can buy and supplements. Based on actual testing of the food.

They need hard food, being yorkies, to keep their teeth and jaws in good shape. I add freeze dried food and powdered nutrients, and of course cook eggs veggies for them. Not spoiled at all!View attachment 155437
PRICELESS THEY THEY MAY NOT HAVE A VOICE IN SPEECH BUT THAT PICTURE SURE SPEAKS VOLUMES

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
As of right now I am not. (Conrtruction) but in the past I have done raw shrimp, Peas, cooked carrots, pretty much every thing but meat.

Moons ago i had a channel cat fish caught very young and feed flake food. My older brother thought it would be a good idea to feed it raw hamburger. Within a hour it destroyed a 5 year running ecosystem. Not a plant nor fish survived but him. Sorry Buddy you have to go back in the wild.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Am I the only one who feeds my fish garden pests (I use no sprays or chemicals of any kind other than water on the above ground parts of my plants)? Small slugs, small caterpillars, and if I have a leaf or a part of a plant that is especially aphid infested in the spring, I’ll just break it off and toss the whole thing into the pond. The fish know the routine, they treat it like a buffet 😂

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's primarily why the Japanese koi grow so big in the mud ponds the water bugs etc give them a well ballance diet.
I have never seen my fish intentionally go after a small fish but I have seen at feeding time little ones get to close to the vaccume action of feeding time and disappear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a is probably average winter, but I've seen it -24F here once in 30 years, and -10 to -15 at times
Country
United States
Duckweed grows like mad, goldfish and koi love it. Grow in a plastic kiddy pool well fertilized, and feed handfuls to the fish. It's very invasive, but in a small pond with goldfish I've never had it get out of hand. It always quickly disappears if you have enough fish eating on it. I'd not get it started in a large or natural pond with few fish, it would get out of hand. I would like to hear if anyone has had it become a problem for them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Duckweed grows like mad, goldfish and koi love it. Grow in a plastic kiddy pool well fertilized, and feed handfuls to the fish. It's very invasive, but in a small pond with goldfish I've never had it get out of hand. It always quickly disappears if you have enough fish eating on it. I'd not get it started in a large or natural pond with few fish, it would get out of hand. I would like to hear if anyone has had it become a problem for them.
Only been a problem in a frog pond w/o fish. Still pops up and whenever I see it I toss it out to the fish in my big pond. They love it!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I routinely feed my fish peeled softened peas for digestion and they love it. I buy frozen peas and place them in water and microwave for about 10 seconds or until they become soft. They are very easy to peel and my fish gobble them down as soon as they touch the water. I'm more cautious with Cheerios due to the mix of different ingredients.
I feed my Koi Cheerios at the beginning of the season. I then slowly over a weeks time switch to high quality Koi Vibrance mixed with Koi Growth. I also chop up green grapes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Koi grow fast enough w hy in the world would you want to quicken the process

Ask a Question