Garden Overhaul including Ponds and Streams

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Isn't there a general figure for sponge?

For a general idea you can use this-
SSA chart.jpg

I would suggest that you use the lower figure for Matting 300 (m2/m3). This will at least keep you on the safe side of a general figure.You will need to compute the sq/m of the Hazelock mats. Don't forget to include the SSA for the pond basin. If bare liner, use 1 SSA x total surface area of submerged portion of basin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
hello everyone, we measured the pond today and it turns out I have underestimated the lengths! the pond is 10' long by 5' long at one end and 3' long at the other end, we think it's therefore about 60 square foot surface area and roughly 15,000 gallons? Does this sound ok?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
hello everyone, we measured the pond today and it turns out I have underestimated the lengths! the pond is 10' long by 5' long at one end and 3' long at the other end, we think it's therefore about 60 square foot surface area and roughly 15,000 gallons? Does this sound ok?

10' x ([5'+3']/2) x 4' deep = 160 cubic feet.
160 cubic feet x 7.48 gallons/ft3 = 1196.8 gallons total capacity.

Don't know how you got a figure of 15,000 gallons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wait sorry got it wrong again 6' wide at one end and 4' wide at the other, came out as 60 square foot surface area x by 4 = 240 cubic feet = 1494.9 gallons approx 1500 must have missed a decimal place

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Wait sorry got it wrong again 6' wide at one end and 4' wide at the other, came out as 60 square foot surface area x by 4 = 240 cubic feet = 1494.9 gallons approx 1500 must have missed a decimal place

Sorry, but you are still wrong. If one end of your pond is 6' wide and the other end is 4' wide, then the average width is 6 + 4 = 10/2 = 5 feet average width' 5 feet x 10 feet = 50 sq/ft x 4 = 200 cubic feet = 1496 gallons. Don't know how you arrived at 1494.9 gallons for 240 cubic feet. That is only 6.22 gallons/ft3. A cubic foot of water contains 7.48 gallons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't take an average, I worked out the area of the surface of the pond, then multiplied by 4, then put that number through a converter to get gallons. I'm using imperial gallons, are you using US gallons? That could be the issue.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I didn't take an average, I worked out the area of the surface of the pond, then multiplied by 4, then put that number through a converter to get gallons. I'm using imperial gallons, are you using US gallons? That could be the issue.

Yes, I computed for U.S. gallons. Still the figures differ. The 1496 gallon capacity that my computations determined when converted to Imperial gallons results in a capacity of 1245 Imperial gallons, 250 Imp. gallons less than you arrived at.
How did you compute surface area without averaging the width?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is the main reason i have a gallon meter it measures how much water I am using and cheaper than a headache .When I rebuilt last year it went from close to 3000 gallons at it's fullest to new pond being bigger it is 5000 gallons and it's highest level is another 1000 gallons but I never fill it to that ,I let mother nature do that .I have2 koi over 2 feet long and 15 other fish and I prefer it that way less worry about the water quality and people get free fish for there ponds here .Koi are fussier about water and overfeeding them does not help .I have a couple here in my pond group and they have 2 koi in a thousand gallons and had issues with water quality and only because they were over feeding them and did not have enough plants and a tiny filter and to small a pump .They now have a bigger pump and a 60 gallon filter and better water quality so mainly how many fish you have matters but what matters more is your filter and testing the water .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't over feed as there is plenty in the pond to eat ,3 or 4 times a week is enough for them and over aerating the pond helps plus i have air stones in both my home made filters and I grow plants in both my home made filters .The aeration of a pond really does matter a lot and learned to really keep on top of trimming the roots on my plants in the filters now

Ask a Question