Gemma's babies

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looks magnificent! What exactly is that nice looking mesh made of and wonder if it could be raised up on posts? Then wonder if it could, if the snow would crush it down if it was up on posts? Looks kind of like it is made of metal.
Thank you! :)

It's made of steel!
It's heavy duty mesh used for robotic guarding, it's called :
1 1/2" x 1 1/2" square PVC coated steel wire mesh
12 gauge thickness
comes in 4'x8' panels

We installed our so it would never touch the water. We bent the sides to make it sturdier so it doesn't bow in the middle, each panel can be removed simply by lifting it up.
I'm thinking up on poles would be the same, depending on the size of the panels it might work great, or bow in the middle
My other pond gets covered in snow and then it melts and the mesh looks just the same.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My pond is wider and longer than those panels so I would not know how to make it sturdy in the middle. Guess a net is still in order. Mine is getting old and rips when snow gets too thick on it. When it totally gives out I may just use criss cross rope across the top or maybe even thick wire. Heron would not fly through as would be too small of an area for his wings.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very mild winter so far, the pumps have not stopped. I have the breathers plugged in just in case but I'm thinking the ponds won't need them this year

pond #1 Too sunny to see the fish from where I was standing
pond1-feb2020.jpg

pond#2 I can see those babies from anywhere
pond2-feb2020.jpg

pond2-feb2020-2.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Happy to see you are getting to enjoy your lovely ponds in nicer weather than normal!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you @j.w , I can't wait to start planting flowers and feeding fish again....love Spring!
smblowbubbles.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I feel I should mention that the fireplace in that pic. is not real, it has flickering lights resembling flames and was built temporarily as a Christmas decoration
smfingernose.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As a thought i have found SO FAR having a vertical wall of net and or remove the landing zone close to the pond has kept me free of heron. My thought is a golf net which are actualy pretty cheap . Attach to the house fascia board drape it down to the far side of the pond to maybe two posts with a cross member and let it hang over that and run to the ground that way you step into an Avery type of area. Looks like you replaced the 2x4's and installed aluminum tubing.

Where have you gotten your koi Gemma you have some stunning colors and patterns there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As a thought i have found SO FAR having a vertical wall of net and or remove the landing zone close to the pond has kept me free of heron. My thought is a golf net which are actualy pretty cheap . Attach to the house fascia board drape it down to the far side of the pond to maybe two posts with a cross member and let it hang over that and run to the ground that way you step into an Avery type of area. Looks like you replaced the 2x4's and installed aluminum tubing.

Where have you gotten your koi Gemma you have some stunning colors and patterns there.

Thank you!
After learning about the "metallic" kind of koi (Ogon, Matsuba, Kujaku....ect) I got totally hooked and started only buying those, so that's why the colors are so bright.
I got most of my fish online https://nextdaykoi.com/

The 2x4s were placed as a quick temporary fix. I hated them but hubby needed the time to order and build the permanent aluminum fixture
Originally we were contemplating the idea of covering the pond, kinda like you said, it sure would've looked nicer, but then we wouldn't have the wildlife that we love around it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Unfortunately, I lost to bullfrogs at least one of the 5" new baby koi I got last year , so hubby got me a new one
smfishnew.gif

She's a beautiful Kujaku butterfly, 12 to 14" long with super long fins.
I named her Ella, I love her already!
She seems a bit skinny,but she's very active and not as shy as new fish usually are

LF-111.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
smhiputer.gif
Thanks!
That pic. doesn't do her justice, you should see her swimming around with all of her fins spread out, she's beautiful!
smloveit2.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Bummer about the bull frog.....do't they know they're are to eat bugs only ! LOL Your new fish is beautiful and I'm glad she's acclimating well to pod life.

I started up the sad & gravel filter today, but still have the pond partially covered. I was to remove the cover, but we're to still have some chilly nights.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Bummer about the bull frog.....do't they know they're are to eat bugs only ! LOL Your new fish is beautiful and I'm glad she's acclimating well to pod life.

I started up the sad & gravel filter today, but still have the pond partially covered. I was to remove the cover, but we're to still have some chilly nights.
Thanks! We relocated so many last year, it seemed the more we took away, the more showed up the next day!
I know people actually buy bullfrog tadpoles for their ponds, can't figure out why I have such a problem with them
smdunno.gif

How old and how large are your 4 Chagoi?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Thanks! We relocated so many last year, it seemed the more we took away, the more showed up the next day!
I know people actually buy bullfrog tadpoles for their ponds, can't figure out why I have such a problem with themView attachment 126901

How old and how large are your 4 Chagoi?
I only have one chagoi, her name is Cha Cha.....or as hubby said " Cha Ching".....when he learned what I paid for her ! She was 11 inches she I bought her in July 2015, so am guessing she might have been 2 years old, to sure.

Here are pictures of the day I got her.....the big release was spoiled by heavy rain, but still quite a memory !
IMG_8477.JPG
IMG_8501.JPG
IMG_8504.JPG

Ask a Question