Gemma's babies

Reaction score
Country
United States
These are the 5 koi I relocated to the new pond! I wish the pics were better but you can get an idea
The 2 smallest ones are 1yr old, the other three are 3yrs olds, one can easily guess which one is the female :)....her name is Gaia, she is a Kin Kikokuryu and it is amazing how she has changed from plane dull orange and gray, to the beautiful (pics don't do her justice) metallic 4 color koi.

You probably figured by now that I'm not interested in show koi, my absolute devotion lays in the ornamental especially metallic type of koi

View attachment 120463

View attachment 120465

View attachment 120467

View attachment 120469

View attachment 120470
They are so Beautiful

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I only have one chagoi, her name is Cha Cha.....or as hubby said " Cha Ching".....when he learned what I paid for her ! She was 11 inches she I bought her in July 2015, so am guessing she might have been 2 years old, to sure.

Here are pictures of the day I got her.....the big release was spoiled by heavy rain, but still quite a memory !
View attachment 126907View attachment 126908View attachment 126909
Cha Cha is so beautiful!
So I had it all wrong huh, I thought you had 4 koi and all 4 were Chagoi, I also thought you had them for many many years...dunno why I thought that.
11-12" is a good size! I'm done buying little 5 inchers!.... no matter how much cheaper they are, it is not worth the worrying that they might get eaten. I'm glad I found a new Seller that has larger koi for a reasonable price http://www.mokoi.com/koiforsale1.htm

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They are so Beautiful
smthankyou2.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Three of the four I've had a pretty long time, 15-16 years and I purchased them at our local fish hatchery. Cha Cha was a splurge, just had to scratch the chagoi itch and she was the most recent ( and final ) addition to the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Tula , did Cha Cha change color since you first purchased her?
I don't understand why my Ochiba Shigure went from silver and brown, to totally black with a white underside

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Beautiful koi. You pick well.
smthankyou2.gif

I got so picky over time that hubby is no longer allowed to buy any!
Thank goodness I'm actually where I want to be with the number of koi I want in each pond, so now I only replace if I lose any
I'm left with only one tiny , vulnerable baby, I'm really hoping she makes it past the critical size
smscared2.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Gemma I hope your baby makes it to a healthy robust beauty View attachment 126935
Thanks! ...you're so nice!
smsmilewink.gif

We had a very mild winter and the ponds didn't freeze over, so I've been able to see her (I think it's a her) sitting on the bottom with the other fish. She is smaller than a fin on the smallest fish, but her bright metallic color makes her hard to miss...now that the temp warmed up and the fish are back swimming around, I don't see her anywhere! ...I hope she went back hiding behind the stones
smpraying.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
smshakeead.gif
Oh my @Tula I'm well aware koi lose/change color, but I had no idea they can lose their GinRin

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Unfortunately, I lost to bullfrogs at least one of the 5" new baby koi I got last year , so hubby got me a new one View attachment 126880
She's a beautiful Kujaku butterfly, 12 to 14" long with super long fins.
I named her Ella, I love her already!
She seems a bit skinny,but she's very active and not as shy as new fish usually are

View attachment 126881
Gemma. What a beautiful fish! I can see the blue on her sides that you see with Kujakus. Congrats!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I read they are born with all the gin rin they'll ever have. As their bodies grow, the gin rin appears to be less........does that make sense?

Here is an article explaining it : https://fullserviceaquatics.com/gin-rin-koi-a-real-eye-catcher/
i don't think it's less but it's the exact same amount but on a smaller package and when the fish grows the gin rin separates as the fish grows and appears to be less but also will fade

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Gemma. What a beautiful fish! I can see the blue on her sides that you see with Kujakus. Congrats!
Thanks @CometKeith !
I bought my first Kujaku last year (Sky, yellow and blue Doitsu ) thanks to you posting yours.
This one I picked cause of the length of the fins, she is gorgeous!
Thank you for bringing Kujaku to my attention, once I learned that they are metallic, I had to add them to my list of favorites
smloveit2.gif

Ask a Question