GPF Member's Babies (aka MFS evidence)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My herd has decreased a bit, think I know why, saw a huge snake running from me , think it went into the pond.
I will try to get some shots, but none of mine will be as clear as the two of you!
@addy1 , how about taking your cam when you go wading in the pond? Have the sun at your back or make it a cloudy day, take a little bit of food and then snap away! If you have a lot of surface agitation, just cut the air for a moment and/or the falls. I've found a polarizer really helps if you have one!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It is crazy looking back and how many fish have changed since then there's on in the video mostly blue little orange on the belly that now has the most beautiful fins. another that was a spectacular red and white pattern but lots all the colors the red head went peach the rest of the body went silver and black.
I know what you mean; all part of the hobby, I guess. Like our four footed friends, seems fish can also have a personality that translates the relationship. When I had only gf, we named the largest Moby, not because it looked like a whale but it was the largest! Then I got koi and it didn't take long before Moby was relegated to second fiddle!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Finally got the nets for the new part of the pond, so I can get them Up hopefully this weekend and get some pics of the herd, including the herd of terrapins

Also, have been occupied with finding a leak in the pond which I found and patched yesterday. Under a 150lb rock of all places. Took a week for the water to finally stop dropping, was losing like a steady 2” a day. So far it has been holding water as I slowly add some back everyday and am taking the opportunity to tweak the intake bay a little bit.

I take it MFS is multiple fish syndrome, have that in spades....and it’s been a few years since I bought any. Although, that will change shortly once I am done with the pond addition.
heh, glad you got the hint, @Jhn , but you already know I'd love to see natural diamondback pics. But the fish too, of course! And if they're not mutts, ya gots ta name at least some of them!

And yep; you can blame addy for the MFS moniker! I have no idea though how the thought ever came into head! ;)
Glad you got the hole found and patched. They say you need patience in this hobby, not sure this is the kind they meant!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here are 3 of my 4.....Madame Butterfly, Sushi and Sumo. I'll try for a picture of the 4th, Cha Cha, soon :)
View attachment 138440View attachment 138441
@Tula is Madamme Butterfly a bekko? Or is she an Utsuri? Also, can't tell what Sumo is; did he/she change color with age? If so, what did Sumo begin as?

Annnnnd, you DO know where the power cord for your aerator is, right? hint hint!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have one fish I have had since the beginning, 4 years now. Its a male that is VERYYYYYYYYYYY aggressive and I am afraid he has got to find a new home. So i understand the friends part I don't want to ship him out but he has really really beat up three different females several times now really badly. so i'm left with little choice
hmm, I hope this doesn't happen to me; haven't had any koi spawnings yet as only 3 should be old enough but very soon, now, very soon....

I'd hate to have this problem, though as I'm already attached. Guess I shouldn't have named them...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 , I know you only have 1 koi left, but it still would be nice to see him/her! And I like seeing the goldfish, too! So, c'mon, post a few of your babies...

@j.w ; where thou art thy pics??? Annnnnndddd, don't substitute any of your voluminous gifs for the real thing!

@bagsmom ; whatcha got for us????

@Gemma ; don't think you're off the hook, despite having your own 'babies' thread; I'd like to see some current residents of your pond. Annnnnnnd, if you can, sneak the cam under the fencing grid??? :p

@JBtheExplorer ; I KNOW you must have some pics (of the FISH)!!!
@cas ; any nice fish pics you wanna let us see???? We be a waitin'...

Hello, Houston, Houston; do we have a problem? Can @jmajid come out and play with his fish pics? Oh,Houston...

if @sissy still wanders GPF's hallowed halls, how about some closeups of the biggun's???

@BKHpondcritters , the stage awaits your lil darlings...

Is there a @CometKeith in the house? Care to add to the menagerie?

and don't think you youngsters to the forum are off the hook...going to need my reading glasses to find you all, among others I've missed! @addy1 !!! I need an assistant! Or some sort of cattle call would work I suppose...

Hmm, should I ask??? @Ian , our glorious leader, I don't think I've ever glommed onto any of your fishiness; have ya gots a pond, mate? Does ya has any pics of ya herd ya cares ta show us??? (okay, that was a really bad rendition, literally, of an accent I know better than to try! Sowwy!)

Last edited:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
heh, glad you got the hint, @Jhn , but you already know I'd love to see natural diamondback pics. But the fish too, of course! And if they're not mutts, ya gots ta name at least some of them!

And yep; you can blame addy for the MFS moniker! I have no idea though how the thought ever came into head! ;)
Glad you got the hole found and patched. They say you need patience in this hobby, not sure this is the kind they meant!

haha, have MTS too, multiple terrapin syndrome, MPS multiple pond syndrome, and with a side of LPS ta boot.

Yeah was a definite an exercise in patience, used to being patient, with fish keeping in general, just not in this way.

I will have to name some fish now that they are protected by a net, never named them before because as soon as I had a favorite that is the one the heron would eat. Got too many spawning fish in my pond, koi, goldfish and orfes....almost forgot my channel catfish has a name ....fat bastard, eats all the koi’s food in the pond with its huge mouth, but no Baby fish, which is the whole reason I added it. might be time to go fishing....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
haha, have MTS too, multiple terrapin syndrome, MPS multiple pond syndrome, and with a side of LPS ta boot.

....almost forgot my channel catfish has a name ....fat bastard, eats all the koi’s food in the pond with its huge mouth, but no Baby fish, which is the whole reason I added it. might be time to go fishing....
LOL!!!

You'll have to add MTS and MPS to addy's sticky in General Chat! I take the 5th on whether I can claim having that disease too...

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh my. I went back looking for pictures of the fish and the last good pictures were taken in 2015! I will do my best at getting some new pictures, but until then, here is one from 2015. He is 15 years old now.

one - 2006, Koi, peachy.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@brokensword - I have terrible luck taking pictures of my fish. How do you all deal with the glare? And my one last koi - we re-named him "Lucky"- is jet black, so he's nearly impossible to get a photo of! Here's an oldie - he's in the mix there, if you look very closely:
IMG_0852.JPG

You sent me down the memory trail... this was one of my beauties that we lost:

IMG_1136.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hmmm..... OK, I admit that I have not been taking fish pictures lately. I've been more focused (hee hee - see what I did there?) on the garden & critter shots. But, here are a few from earlier this year, as well as some from last Summer & Fall.
fish in spring 01.jpg
late winter fish 04.jpg
fall fish faces 02.JPG
fall fish faces 03.JPG
more fall fish 04.jpg
crazy fish 03.JPG
fish 02.jpg
fish pics 03.jpg
fish pics 04.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@brokensword - I have terrible luck taking pictures of my fish. How do you all deal with the glare? And my one last koi - we re-named him "Lucky"- is jet black, so he's nearly impossible to get a photo of! Here's an oldie - he's in the mix there, if you look very closely: View attachment 138444

You sent me down the memory trail... this was one of my beauties that we lost:

View attachment 138443
memory lane is a good place sometimes, dontcha know!

I THINK I see 'Lucky' ! The heron will have a hard time getting him!

Re glare; if you have an umbrella, you can have someone hold it over the area you want to photograph and that should cut the glare. The polarizer I mentioned works well too. Not sure if you can get something for a phonecam but I think addy just demonstrated the effect in one of her more recent posts; she put her polarized sunglasses in front of the phone cam and it works!

Ask a Question