GPF Member's Babies (aka MFS evidence)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Here is a baby I'd rather not have in the pond......someone has a full tummy !

C47F55F4-3112-457B-ADB1-4075FA94DBE1_1_201_a.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have two SUPER SIZED bullfrogs in the pond this year. Generally they eat their fill in smaller frogs and then move on.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@brokensword female dbt pic, she is sunning herself on my giant patch of parrot feather 9B881892-6A10-43AA-9DD2-750210374B62.jpeg it is one of the darker skinned terrapins.

E0B615DF-DF1A-4312-B7E4-88D43BC230BB.jpeg Pic of one of my favorite koi, it came from a spawn about 3 years ago. The mom got snagged by heron around then. Dark blue body with a white patch on the head, kumonryu I believe. It is about 10” at the moment

will get some more shots of the other fish but they are busy checking out the new digs since I pulled the board separating the two ponds this morning.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Couple more this is about 1/4 of the herd in the pond, and few more of the female dark terrapin, if you look closely in the last pic, can see her coming out from under the log to grab some food.
6CCF280A-3670-46DE-B03D-62D671287E33.jpeg

9DCCCDA8-D9CB-4B34-9EA9-8C1E8A97F7C2.jpeg
70BAB3DF-92DF-4564-8D13-E2C7FB12410D.jpeg
FAA78C33-CF64-47C5-BF06-5CC0270D1001.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@brokensword female dbt pic, she is sunning herself on my giant patch of parrot feather View attachment 138546 it is one of the darker skinned terrapins.

View attachment 138547 Pic of one of my favorite koi, it came from a spawn about 3 years ago. The mom got snagged by heron around then. Dark blue body with a white patch on the head, kumonryu I believe. It is about 10” at the moment

will get some more shots of the other fish but they are busy checking out the new digs since I pulled the board separating the two ponds this morning.
I wondered when I saw the dbt as I thought most were lighter skinned! Neat turtle for sure, though!

I've thought about getting a kumonryu but the story seems they change all the time and getting a good pattern (in the end) is iffy at best. Still, I'd like to see your Kumonryu when it gets fully grown! Take some pics as it changes; it'll be interesting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Couple more this is about 1/4 of the herd in the pond, and few more of the female dark terrapin, if you look closely in the last pic, can see her coming out from under the log to grab some food.
View attachment 138555

View attachment 138557
View attachment 138558
View attachment 138559
whoa, that's a lot darker than I've seen pics of dbt, @Jhn ! Nice pics of your herd. Are you about done then for the summer so you can now sit back and just enjoy? Too, are you putting all your dbts now into the large pond or do you still have some youngsters isolated? If you do, how old until they join the adults?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
really nice fish, @j.w ! I noticed ONE shubbie; is that the only one you have? And, do you notice how the gold ones often break out in white stripes/patches/spots? I have a few that are still changing that I swear weren't there last year! The one with the white lip; did it keep it or did the white continue to morph?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
whoa, that's a lot darker than I've seen pics of dbt, @Jhn ! Nice pics of your herd. Are you about done then for the summer so you can now sit back and just enjoy? Too, are you putting all your dbts now into the large pond or do you still have some youngsters isolated? If you do, how old until they join the adults?

I have around 5-6 in the main pond it gets hard to keep track of them, since I have 11 or 12. The others are still in the 1800 gal. Pond. Also, the 1800 gal. Pond is where the ornate dbt goes for the summer It is easier to find it in the fall in that pond, to bring it inside Especially now.
Most of the dbt’s are lighter skinned than my dark skinned female.

Pretty much done, still have to finish the waterfall area/return from the bog. Then blend in and hide some liner around the pond/bog edge. Not too far off from sitting and enjoying it, although I did that for awhile yesterday.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@brokensword only one left. Started out w/6. Lost 2 when tiny, they were from a pet store. Then 4 were good for many years and this winter I had fish die off. Still many fish left but whatever was wrong took all but 1of the Shubbies. It may have been cuz I left the big prefilters in the water all winter and the gunk collected on them and it just sat in there and went bad. Took out those filters and am only using my top pot edge filter. All seems much clearer in the water now and fish look good. Easy, peasy to clean the pot edge filter. Those big tube prefilters were hard to get out of the pond even w/ropes tied to them and I'm not a Spring chickie anymore :smuggrin:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@brokensword only one left. Started out w/6. Lost 2 when tiny, they were from a pet store. Then 4 were good for many years and this winter I had fish die off. Still many fish left but whatever was wrong took all but 1of the Shubbies. It may have been cuz I left the big prefilters in the water all winter and the gunk collected on them and it just sat in there and went bad. Took out those filters and am only using my top pot edge filter. All seems much clearer in the water now and fish look good. Easy, peasy to clean the pot edge filter. Those big tube prefilters were hard to get out of the pond even w/ropes tied to them and I'm not a Spring chickie anymore :smuggrin:

@j.w I've noticed too, that lately my winter losses are more shubbie than the comets/sarassa. Wonder if the breed is less hardy?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have had fish disappear, heron snake who knows but no floaters over winter, mine are mainly shubbies.

Reaction score
Country
United States
hmm, I hope this doesn't happen to me; haven't had any koi spawnings yet as only 3 should be old enough but very soon, now, very soon....

I'd hate to have this problem, though as I'm already attached. Guess I shouldn't have named them...
We have a male comet that is really aggressive and of course we've named all of our fish too so Sona better go easy on Mushu and Bindiya this year else he'll have to answer to me!

Ask a Question