Having a bad day.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Blessed,
This could be a long shot but what if you got a hold of someone from IU in their Vetiernary school and asked them, maybe they could help you. Not sure how far away you are from the school.

Reaction score
Todd, I actually called IU and still no return call as of today.. I called them Saturday so maybe they have not had time to return my call but I have called so many places trying to get answers and it is actually very irritating when not one person calls you back grrr lol..I am feeling really good about what Lisa has recommended to me and here is some of her research that is way over my head but I am trying to learn :) http://www.illinoisbirddogrescue.org/ --On LEFT SIDE OF PAGE CLICK ON TBI Treatment Protocols/Dog Thank you for suggesting them..any other ideas feel free to pass my way. Amber

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I understand the frustration! I called 8 different Vets Sunday trying to get one to see me, IF they did have a answering service, They send you to the one Vet emergency room about a hour away. I called them and they won't answer one question, or give any help unless you bring them in, $200 cash to start seeing the dog. Now I agree this is about what todays visit along with the meds cost, but keep in mind, $200 up front plus meds-$20 plus blood work- $90 plus urine sample -$50. Now add in that I get to see a internship that holds her over night, another $100 then the actual Vet see's them on Monday. BIG RIP OFF!
I can understand fully where your having problems, Go with someone that has dealt with this issue and knows what to do. Having a Vet that doesn't do their own research, and has no clue what they are looking for isn't doing poor reese any good, and believe me, I hacve run into your problem on more than one occasion. Seems like they make it through Vet school and forget that they are there to help the animal and more about making the quick buck! I still feel like it's tick related and that a GOOD vet would know what steps should needed to be taken right away. Seems like the one your using is going about treating completely backwards. Good Luck, and Prayers still with Reese

Reaction score
Yes Larkin it has been an emotional roller coaster for me along with financially draining,all in guess work! I have spent over 600.00 from day one to save this little man and will continue because they are my passion. The vet could have saved me alot of money if we just ran the tick panel in the beginning which was 150.00 but no she wanted to use what treated "most" tick diseases and see how that went(money for all those meds) and then when that didn't work she decided hey we might want to see what we are actually dealing with..hmmm really? She also wanted to do blood work to see what is showed in beginning which of course isn't cheap and on top of that I get charged an exam fee almost every time I went back even if she wanted to see him back because what she did was not working...I don't think they should charge me an exam fee when I was pretty much moving in lol..but they are in the money making business so why am I so surprised? Lisa thinks Reese has Lyme disease along with RMSF but the tick panel my vet used does not show low titers for it?? Way over my head :) So I am hoping the Doxy comes in the mail today so I can get him started on it. Lisa referred me to a site where I can buy my own medicine,I bought Doxycycline and Amoxicillin 100C for around 57.00 with shipping, I can only imagine what that would have cost me at the vets office but I know I have paid 60.00 for two bottles of pills no where near that count, I am going to treat him for 4 months with those and see how it goes for him, I am confident that it will work thanks to Lisa. Still no return phone calls as of this morning and I have called many just to ask if they have treated RMSF and your right Larkin they want to see him before telling me anything..all I want to know is have they actually seen a case in their office and treated it..how hard can that be? Thanks for the continued prayers, I will keep everyone updated. Amber

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I tried to gets vets regulated back in NJ when my dog A chinese shar pei had cancer and it got shot down 4 times as it can cost a fortune if a dog gets sick after that I got pet insurance and you have to shop around even for that now as some are expensive and some will not give you insurance on pre existing conditions .The best thing is to google pet insurance I have been looking for a new company as the one I have now will not cover pit bulls anymore

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats called vet mark up and thats part of what i tried to get regulated blessed and there should be a law ,They need to be stopped .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That's called Vet Rip Off! I must say I'm so glad to be dealing with the Vet I am, 1 exam visit, anything after that they charge me for the medications or procedures they do. Such as the urine test, $8 test, and the meds were $20 no second exam cost, She told me to bring Endy back in three weeks for another blood test, Now the first time was $90 but that was to check everything, Now that she has it more isolated down she told me that the return check in three weeks would be $30 with no exam cost. BTW, I didn't asked for that kind of treatment and I don't get special treatment. This is the Vets practice here. The biggest gripe here is no Vet service from noon on Saturday until 9am on Monday, Then you have to use the emergency clinic which is a joke! (Like Amber's Vet!) What is sad is you have to go through a act of congress to report them and then it may or may not do one bit of good. I'm glad to here that you have at least found someone that is helping you in the right direction.
On a side note I'm happy to report Endy has had no more seizures since Sunday. Now lets get Reese better and up and running full throttle again. Good luck! sounds like you can use some along with the prayers.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh the first vet I got for my dogs when I moved to VA I had to turn into the board and she got fined and now the new vet I have is better and does try to save customers money by charging for only 1 vet visit for the same thing they are treating and are better with the cost of meds .I have to take pee wee in today I called because last night the poor little guy broke out in a bad itchy rash and he was drinking alot all night and itching and it started on his little belly and his now spread to his neck .I told the vet he got nothing unusual to eat and there is nothing he could have gotten hold of here that I could find .

Reaction score
Reese is feeling better but not walking yet.. :( I am looking around for another vet and actually calling to see if I can get some money back on my "exam fees" as it doesn't make sense for me to pay every time and she knows I was struggling financially. Larkin I am so glad to hear Endy is doing way better and pray they do have it figured out for you and yours. Thanks for the prayers. Amber

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can go the the board of vet regulation though my Harley and Hunter are gone I am still trying to get money for the things the Brosville vet did .Betterins office gave my dogs shots 3 years in a row for rabies and that heart worm and knew that the shots she gave my dogs were the 3 year shots or at least that is what I found out I paid for ,not sure anymore since she will not hand over all her records and then found out I was paying for the lab tests for hunters thyroid work up at a lab and when I looked at one work up notice's it was the same as the first one and called the lab itself and found out they had never even done any lab tests for hunter or even heard of him and found out all the records I had were fakes and thats when I reported them .I lost Hunter shortly after all this came out and the new vet said it was because of that vets neglect and they did not take her license and to me that is not right either .You can go online and file a complaint just google the board of vet regulations .They will want all the records and do a investigation and make tons of copies of your records and demand your records from the vet you paid for them they are yours .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well back from the vet with pee wee a few little tests later and a sedative little eye protectors a bikini bathing suit well to protect his little privates (he is a boy ) and a little sun lamp later and he looks better .The vet said because he is a very fair skinned dog and so little and I am over protective he could need a little more sunlight .He looked so cute in his little goggles and bikini LOL.He thinks at this point that it could be that a small allergic reaction to something and just to watch him close and watch what he eats .He weighs a chunky (as the vet puts it ) 4 lbs .He's a tad overweight but looks healthy otherwise .He told me that chihuahuas that are very white with pink skin get like this sometimes and that I should have remembered from my pit bull Harley .She was all white and very fair skinned too and had something similar 2 times ,I wondered about that but not sure so better safe than sorry .gosh my dog got a spa treatment and I have never had one .He got a rub down nails clipped and a pretty blue bow tie .

Reaction score
Aww do you have a picture of your little man?--Baeya he was walking and doing super until starting Friday he kinda slipped back to square one :( His spirit is amazing though and I am in love with him :) How is your bog doing by the way?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
no I;m sorry I didn't get any pics did not even think to take the camera with me .but one of the helpers there took a pic

Reaction score
Aww do you have a picture of your little man?--Baeya he was walking and doing super until starting Friday he kinda slipped back to square one :( His spirit is amazing though and I am in love with him :) How is your bog doing by the way?

Thanks for asking........the bog is doing great! I haven't put the top row of finishing blocks on yet, my bad. Several of the obedient plants bloomed, even in this cold weather. I'm already looking forward to Spring!
I sure wish your little Reese would get all better! I've been thinking of both of you.........

Ask a Question