hmm idea on a bio filter??

Reaction score
so do all bio filters need to be round for some reason? i was thinking for my 20000gallon pond to build a 6x6x6 wall and do the same concepts of the bio filters you guys have on the diy section just in a very bigger way possible? good idea? better off just buying a advantage 15?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nope they do not need to be round. My bog/bio filter runs the length of my pond 28ftx6x2.5 does a great job.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My other filter is one of the totes and that is not round and first filter I made was a tote too .Now I have 1 tote at 1 waterfall and a round plantainer at the other waterfall

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
a lot of people use stock tanks they come really big now and I saw 1 veggie or bog filter done with a large plastic trough for cattle that they bought at tractor supply it was on you tube and was pretty cool looking too

Reaction score
Yeah I just need it to be pretty huge for a 20000 gallon I'm just not sure if I should just buy a advantage 15 for like 2 grand and call it a day lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
make sure you ask for extended warranty a little extra put out at the beginning may save you a huge headache in the end .I know warranties pay off big 1 pump went no questions ask they replaced it

Reaction score
For a pond that big, I would think a bog would be best. I have a 10000 gallon pond with a bog and a stream, it works great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
The reason most biofilters are round is because the inlet pipe is designed to swirl the water in the bottom, which causes all the sediment to be pushed to the center, over the drain.

For the size of filter you are talking about, the swirl effect is probably not practical. My suggestion for building a bottom drain would be to lay out a grid of PVC pipe on the bottom, with holes drilled through the pipes so that you can easily drain the sediment out of the bottom from all the corners.

Of course, lovinglife's suggestion of a large bog filter would be much more maintenance-free, and would give you a nice area for a whole different type of plants and wildlife.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The other house I'm buying I may think about a bog as I'm not sure the set up there since it is so overgrown and can't locate anything around the pond and I know the ponds big and has a really thick liner ,but I don't even know how deep it is or whats living in it .Sorta scares me geeze .the property is over 11 acres so have plenty of room for a bog .Since everyone says it is easier to work with .I mean I can not even get close enough to get a good pic liner comes out over 10 feet from where I think the pond starts and I will have renters too

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lovinglife said:
For a pond that big, I would think a bog would be best. I have a 10000 gallon pond with a bog and a stream, it works great.

Totally agree, my bog is around 2400 gallons, pond around 10000 gallons keeps it beautiful and love the plants that grow.
And a 85 ft stream with mini ponds and plants.

Ask a Question