Holding place for fish while pond is reconstructed

Reaction score
Yep...it is getting dirty..more than usual and I'm rinsing it every other day. When we first added the water, there was a lot of dirt coming out of the bog from the pea gravel that was in there even though they rinsed it some. I don't know if adding another 3 inches to the pond would have caused more dirt to come out of the bog or not.

Reaction score
That's what I told my husband...there is a ton of pea gravel in there and I thought that maybe adding three inches of water stirred up more muck from the pea gravel in the bog, but he didn't think so. However...this didn't happen until after I added the additional water. Maybe the pollen but fortunately we haven't had everything including the pool coated in that nasty stuff for a couple of weeks now.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We didn't rinse ours, well we started rinsing it, but too much gravel, a dry summer, a well we protect, even with a good rinse the stuff had dirt, so we just dumped it in, cycled the dirt.
If I pull plants, now, the pea gravel dirt / dirt that accumulates / etc pours into the pond. Within a few hours the water is crystal clear.

When I first turned on the pond and bog my water was totally murky for a few weeks, I did make a pretend skippy type filter, quilt batting, ac filters, stuff to pick up the fine dirt, ran that for a few days, low flow pump going into the barrel. That cleared up the water. I did that a few years back and have not used it since. My guess is the bog was not established enough, i.e. plants roots etc to get the fine dirt out of the water, now it has no issue even if I muck it up enough you can not see a single fish, it clears within hours.

Reaction score
Good morning Addy...you are correct of course. The plants in the bog are not established except for three. I went out this morning and I can see the "fish cave" a little this morning I'm still using the batting because it does such an awesome job, but maybe once these plants are all established I can give it up until there is a need for it again. I included some images image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Reaction score
Hi,

It looks like you are using basic retaining wall block from a big box store. Am I correct?

Did you just dry stack it and are letting the water flow through it?

I am interested in this as I am going to be re-building my current pond, using the same liner I have now. I would like to have a bog, the new pond measurements would be about 6'x4'x2', so I am sure I can put in a small bog to filter the water.

It is either that or add a second liner for a bog and let that flow into the pond itself. I think option is much easier and less costly as I already have the block!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A bog can be any thing that has plants in it to filter .I use a filter tank and put lots of plants in it .I even had a grass growing in it last summer .My water goes down through and then back up a pipe with a T connector to over a tank adapter in a tank .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53419]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53415]

Reaction score
They are what I'm calling pavers that my husband used for a job years ago. When he built the first bog he used then as a retaining wall for the bog. This time he used then again but they cut them in half and stacked them. They were approximately 12"x8" and really heavy. I'm sure I've seen them at lower. This is the place to come for help as the people on this forum know what they are doing and have been incredibly helpful in providing useful information. We've had a pond for about 6-7 years but still consider myself a newbie!

Reaction score
It shouldn't take long for your plants to become established in your bog. Ours kind of went crazy -

I wouldn't be without a bog. We filter the water through ours and I know there was one year, where DH had spaced turning on the pump associated with the bog. That year there were clarity issues and other problems with the fish waste. Since then, I make sure he doesn't forget to turn on that pump and we haven't had any issues with the wastes or the water clarity.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love my bog, makes my pond an non issue as far as maintenance. All the water tests stay great. The only battle I have is soft acidic water. Crushed oyster shells work great to help stabilize those.

Reaction score
Yes...we had some that were taking over the big with so many riots and our pond place said to steer away from those types. I probably need more plants but not sure how big some are going to get so I'm going to wait. The little red is actually a succulent and not a big plant but he thought it might do okay in the bog so time will tell. I was going to repot my Lillie's but neither if them had any roots at all so I tossed one and reported the other just to see what it might do.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you need some lilies let me know I have a huge tuber of the brilliant pink red that jumped its pot. I do not need anymore lilies lol.

[/URL]

Reaction score
Wow..I would live that! Email me at (e-mail address removed) and I will give you my address. Zip is 77433 so Lmk how much to ship to me and I will send check or pay via PayPal if you use their service. Tell me what I need to do when I get package if its something besides sticking in the the soil for Lillie's which I have and feeding the tabs at appropriate times. Really appreciate this!

Ask a Question