Hurricane Advice?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Well, looks like we are going to get slammed...Any advice as to my pond? I don't have a generator but I bought a solar aerator. Of course I won't be able to set it up until the winds and rain die down...I don't know how long we will be without power. I will shut off my pump once things get bad...Will the wind on the water help aerate? Calling for 10+ inches of rain...Stay safe SarahT and others here in Florida!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Best wishes rubyduby. After Hurricane Michael passed, I ran my aerators for an hour or two daily using a rechargeable battery pack and a solar panel. Hopefully it won’t be too hot. And I didn’t feed until the power came back on.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A battery aerator for a baitwell will work, Walmart usually has some that run on D batteries.

Fingers crossed for all of us in Fl.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Thanks @rubyduby , stay safe yourself. Fish and turtles are resilient, so I think they'll be fine (US, TOO!)
I took out or trimmed all the tall plants in the bog to reduce potential debris flying into the pond, but really, all those tree leaves are going to come down.
Thanks @Mgessert for reminding me not to feed the fellas (I'll tell them you said so!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We use a large marine battery with an inverter to run the air pump when our power is down. You could also use the battery in your car with an inverter and just run the car when the battery gets low to charge it back up.

Be sure to boost your KH before all the rain to prevent a pH crash.

With one of the recent hurricanes, one pond owner had so much rain that it overflowed the pond so much that all her fish were washed away! Must have had quite a flood. Seems like they would have stayed at the bottom of the pond, but maybe oxygen was getting low so they came up into the current?

Before the next storm and after she had restocked, she put netting at the pond level to prevent that.

Sending positive thoughts for you, your family and your pond. Hope all will be well and no damage done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Keep baking soda on hand to raise your PH if you get a lot of rain.

@WaterGardener I have a friend who keeps koi in Louisiana and lives in a flood prone area. What you mentioned actually happened and her koi literally were swept from the pond and found swimming in neighbor's yards etc. She now has an elaborate system to net her pond to keep the fish in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those worst case scenarios do actually happen at times. I have never considered my fish washing out of the pond. What a nightmare that would be. Glad your friend was able to find and recover her fish
Incredibly lucky!

I hope no one here has to experience anything like that.

Hoping for the best for everyone in the path of that storm. Been there, done that, never want to do it again!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Praying you all will be safe
1664295629868.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
We use a large marine battery with an inverter to run the air pump when our power is down. You could also use the battery in your car with an inverter and just run the car when the battery gets low to charge it back up.

With one of the recent hurricanes, one pond owner had so much rain that it overflowed the pond so much that all her fish were washed away! Must have had quite a flood. Seems like they would have stayed at the bottom of the pond, but maybe oxygen was getting low so they came up into the current?

Before the next storm and after she had restocked, she put netting at the pond level to prevent that.

Sending positive thoughts for you, your family and your pond. Hope all will be well and no damage done.
Thanks for the tips. I've lowered my net to just above the water, and have an overflow gap on the pond edge that's 1" wide and 3" tall. I guess a goldfish could get through, but not my koi. Let's hope my solar air stones (2) keep enough fizz going if the power goes out.
Fingers and fins crossed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States

Well this would be a horrible scenario...I really never thought of the fish actually leaving the pond...My turtle will probably leave also...Ugh! I don't have a net big enough net...Spent the day boarding up my windows (they are hurricane windows but only to 135 .... So scary...we are supposed to get a direct hit)

Ask a Question