Indoor flowering pet safe plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
she might b rite , i have read too that most of the plants are poisonous for cats and dogs but ok for humans , they are not called toxic generally but harmful for pets
actualy very few plants flower properly in shade or if u mean indoor , how much light u have? even hibuscus and canna will not flower properly if too dark , may b canna will bloom

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
  1. Tulips & Hyacinths | Pet Poison Helpline http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/tulip/
  2. Hyacinth | Plants toxic to animals | Veterinary Medicine library at U of Illinois http://www.library.illinois.edu/vex/toxic/hyacin/hyacin.htm
  3. Plants That Your Cat Shouldn’t Eat http://www.petplace.com/article/cat...ins-poisons/plants-that-your-cat-shouldnt-eat
  4. Hyacinth Poisoning in Dogs - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost https://www.vetary.com/dog/condition/hyacinth-poisoning

Both hyacinths and tulips belong to the Liliaceae family, and contain allergenic lactones or similar alkaloids. The toxic principle of these plants is very concentrated in the bulbs (versus the leaf or flower), and when ingested in large amounts, can result in severe clinical signs. Severe poisoning from hyacinth or tulip poisoning is often seen when dogs dig up freshly planted bulbs or having access to a large bag of them. When the plant parts or bulbs are chewed or ingested, it can result in tissue irritation to the mouth and esophagus. Typical signs include profuse drooling, vomiting, or even diarrhea, depending on the amount consumed. With large ingestions, more severe symptoms such as an increase in heart rate, changes in respiration, and difficulty breathing may be seen.

If you suspect your dog has ingested hyacinths or tulips (particularly the bulbs), contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline for treatment recommendations.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi and Welcome!!! Many garden plants can be grown hydroponically. I'm not an expert but you may want to consider common garden plants like petunias and impatients. Petunias need strong sunlight and impatients prefer shade. I have seen impatients growing in clumps in a pond so I know that can definitely be done.
Since may people have these plants in their gardens I would assume they would be okay with pets.
Thx comet Keith! The last couple of days I've been studying plants. ASPCA has a great list but after checking there were some errors. I get frustrated because not every list is correct or current. Wish they would check important things like that!

Reaction score
Country
United States
  1. Tulips & Hyacinths | Pet Poison Helpline http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/tulip/
  2. Hyacinth | Plants toxic to animals | Veterinary Medicine library at U of Illinois http://www.library.illinois.edu/vex/toxic/hyacin/hyacin.htm
  3. Plants That Your Cat Shouldn’t Eat http://www.petplace.com/article/cat...ins-poisons/plants-that-your-cat-shouldnt-eat
Both hyacinths and tulips belong to the Liliaceae family, and contain allergenic lactones or similar alkaloids. The toxic principle of these plants is very concentrated in the bulbs (versus the leaf or flower), and when ingested in large amounts, can result in severe clinical signs. Severe poisoning from hyacinth or tulip poisoning is often seen when dogs dig up freshly planted bulbs or having access to a large bag of them. When the plant parts or bulbs are chewed or ingested, it can result in tissue irritation to the mouth and esophagus. Typical signs include profuse drooling, vomiting, or even diarrhea, depending on the amount consumed. With large ingestions, more severe symptoms such as an increase in heart rate, changes in respiration, and difficulty breathing may be seen.

If you suspect your dog has ingested hyacinths or tulips (particularly the bulbs), contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline for treatment recommendations.
Thx comet Keith! The last couple of days I've been studying plants. ASPCA has a great list but after checking there were some errors. I get frustrated because not every list is correct or current. Wish they would check important things like that!
Thank you so much I hate it when people accuse me of having the wrong info!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
i had this plant Purple Shamrock in shade but in wet soil i dono if it can grow in water but its leaves are like purple flowers even if it dsnt bloom lol but it has pink lovely flower too
images

images

upload_2017-4-27_8-14-56.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
may b spider plant this light green yellow plant long spiky leaves on left side , this grows in bog or wet soil and it has very nice flowers with long shoots falling down like fireworks , i have the green version of this , it grows in very shady places

Purpleshamrock.jpg

images

images

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm not sure that water hyacinths and regular hyacinths are the same. I've always been curious. Water lilies and day lilies, too. Both pairs have the same names, but they seem to be very different kinds of plants. Kind of like hogs and groundhogs or creeping jenny and creeping charley. I don't know the scientific names, which I suppose would indicate if they just have the same names in the vernacular because someone decided to refer to them as such, or if they really are related. The article was about in-the-ground hyacinths, so this would seem to be a relevant thing to learn.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very pretty! Apparently hibiscus can be grown in dirt in water! And there's a company that developed a tiny orchid in Clear gel needs no care!
I'm not sure that water hyacinths and regular hyacinths are the same. I've always been curious. Water lilies and day lilies, too. Both pairs have the same names, but they seem to be very different kinds of plants. Kind of like hogs and groundhogs or creeping jenny and creeping charley. I don't know the scientific names, which I suppose would indicate if they just have the same names in the vernacular because someone decided to refer to them as such, or if they really are related. The article was about in-the-ground hyacinths, so this would seem to be a relevant thing to learn.
I'm not sure that water hyacinths and regular hyacinths are the same. I've always been curious. Water lilies and day lilies, too. Both pairs have the same names, but they seem to be very different kinds of plants. Kind of like hogs and groundhogs or creeping jenny and creeping charley. I don't know the scientific names, which I suppose would indicate if they just have the same names in the vernacular because someone decided to refer to them as such, or if they really are related. The article was about in-the-ground hyacinths, so this would seem to be a relevant thing to learn.[/QUOTE
Well I thought that might be too but I believe they are in the same family. The bulb of the plant is poisonous I did see on a Texaco A&E site listed them that was as well warning there are some states don't allow this plant like Texas because it is invasive]

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
i have these in pond red bog lily , i hv tested them in extreme shade they do well

upload_2017-4-27_8-33-13.jpeg

images

Reaction score
Country
United States

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
  4. Hyacinth Poisoning in Dogs - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost https://www.vetary.com/dog/condition/hyacinth-poisoning

This is exactly why common plant names should not be used when discussing plants.
A water lily is not a true lily. They are not even distant cousins. The same is true of hyacinths and water hyacinths (which is not really a Hyacinth). We are talking about totally different plants here people.
The ASPCA has it correct as they are referring to the Water hyacinth and not the terrestrial Hyacinth which is indeed poisonous. All one has to do is make a simple visual comparison of the foliage and blooms of the two different plants to realize that they are not related.
Waterliles and Water Hyacinth are not toxic. Lilies and Hyacinths are.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What are these called? Bromillades are animals safe Christmas cactus and orchids hens and chicks painted lady blue echeveria all safe and people put wrong things down all the time so honestly you can think what you want but if a university and someone who sells plants tell you not to use them you don't furthermore my pets are more important than some putty flowers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
This is exactly why common plant names should not be used when discussing plants.
A water lily is not a true lily. They are not even distant cousins. The same is true of hyacinths and water hyacinths (which is not really a Hyacinth). We are talking about totally different plants here people.
The ASPCA has it correct as they are referring to the Water hyacinth and not the terrestrial Hyacinth which is indeed poisonous. All one has to do is make a simple visual comparison of the foliage and blooms of the two different plants to realize that they are not related.
Waterliles and Water Hyacinth are not toxic. Lilies and Hyacinths are.
these site say about water hyc same scientific name as on aspca Eichhornia crassipes , there must be error somewhere , but i found in more detail and more relevant sites with pets /vets saying its harmful .

Pond Plants That Are Poisonous for Cats | Garden Guides http://www.gardenguides.com/124632-pond-plants-poisonous-cats.html
Water hyacinth (Eichhornia Crassipes) can cause vomiting and anorexia in cats. It is also toxic to dogs and horses. The water hyacinth is normally found in the fresh waters of Florida. The plant's appearance is recognized by its rounded, leathery and waxy green leaves with dark feathery roots that suspend down into the water, making the plant float above the pond. The water hyacinth sprouts lavender flowers when it blooms. It cannot thrive in cold climates but can create new growth from submerged stem tips that are protected from the freezing water.

in this website its listed too
Poisonous plants for cats. Toxic plants to avoid if you have cats. http://www.dirtonmyhands.com/poisonous-plants-to-cats.html
Water Hyacinth Scientific Name: Eichhornia crassipes -- Family: Pontederiaceae

Water Hyacinth Poisoning in Dogs - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost https://www.vetary.com/dog/condition/water-hyacinth-poisoning

Symptoms of Water Hyacinth Poisoning in Dogs Symptoms of water hyacinth toxicity in dogs may include: Lethargy Anorexia Vomiting Possibly diarrhea Types The water hyacinth belongs to the Pontederiaceae family with the scientific name of Eichhornia crassipes. This plant is commonly found in water gardens due to its aesthetically pleasing look and large floating leaves. The water hyacinth is not the same as the normal hyacinth plant. The water hyacinth is native to South America and is considered an invasive plant in North America. It is a floating plant with round/oval green leaves with a flower that blooms in a blue-violet or lilac color. These plants grow and reproduce quickly making them a pest and potential problem for waterfront areas. It is such an issue, the water hyacinth is known as the worst aquatic plant.

Cats are very sensitive to poisoning because they lack a liver enzyme that breaks down poisons and toxins and that is present in many other animals including humans. This protein is called UGT1A6 and is missing in the Large Cats as well as domesticated cats, or rather is produced in very small insufficient quantities.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
these site say about water hyc same scientific name as on aspca Eichhornia crassipes , there must be error somewhere , but i found in more detail and more relevant sites with pets /vets saying its harmful .

Pond Plants That Are Poisonous for Cats | Garden Guides http://www.gardenguides.com/124632-pond-plants-poisonous-cats.html
Water hyacinth (Eichhornia Crassipes) can cause vomiting and anorexia in cats. It is also toxic to dogs and horses. The water hyacinth is normally found in the fresh waters of Florida. The plant's appearance is recognized by its rounded, leathery and waxy green leaves with dark feathery roots that suspend down into the water, making the plant float above the pond. The water hyacinth sprouts lavender flowers when it blooms. It cannot thrive in cold climates but can create new growth from submerged stem tips that are protected from the freezing water.

in this website its listed too
Poisonous plants for cats. Toxic plants to avoid if you have cats. http://www.dirtonmyhands.com/poisonous-plants-to-cats.html
Water Hyacinth Scientific Name: Eichhornia crassipes -- Family: Pontederiaceae

Water Hyacinth Poisoning in Dogs - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost https://www.vetary.com/dog/condition/water-hyacinth-poisoning

Symptoms of Water Hyacinth Poisoning in Dogs Symptoms of water hyacinth toxicity in dogs may include: Lethargy Anorexia Vomiting Possibly diarrhea Types The water hyacinth belongs to the Pontederiaceae family with the scientific name of Eichhornia crassipes. This plant is commonly found in water gardens due to its aesthetically pleasing look and large floating leaves. The water hyacinth is not the same as the normal hyacinth plant. The water hyacinth is native to South America and is considered an invasive plant in North America. It is a floating plant with round/oval green leaves with a flower that blooms in a blue-violet or lilac color. These plants grow and reproduce quickly making them a pest and potential problem for waterfront areas. It is such an issue, the water hyacinth is known as the worst aquatic plant.

Cats are very sensitive to poisoning because they lack a liver enzyme that breaks down poisons and toxins and that is present in many other animals including humans. This protein is called UGT1A6 and is missing in the Large Cats as well as domesticated cats, or rather is produced in very small insufficient quantities.

Obviously confusion reigns as to the actual toxicity of Water Hyacinth (E. crassipes).

The first site linked above states the toxicity of this plant but provides a link to the ASPCA. The exact link that states that E. crassipes is not toxic.

The second site linked above not only offers a disclaimer that the author is no expert, but also provides a link to Merck, which is and old established source of veterinary information. Nowhere on their site is either E. crassipes or Nympaea (Water Lily) listed as toxic
And the third site inked above is a company(Vetary) that offers financial services to veterinarians. I would question their bona fides as diagnosticians.

I remain at my original position. Even more so now since I have seen the Merck site.

Ask a Question