Made a offer on the new place today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I saw the thread now. Haha, that's really cute, green heron that protects HER pond from other fishermen! I like that! She may be quite an asset to your big pond. Thanks for sharing the pics of the babies as they are growing up. For some reason I would have thought they would have nested on the ground, but in a tree is much safer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
What a gorgeous dog! He does look like he's smiling at the camera. I love it when puppies are at that age - all big paws and long gangly limbs :)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thank you Becky, He's a handful. Seems to be pretty smart. Somethings he's picking up quick. others he's not doing as well, You can tell he still has a lot of Puppy in him. Hoping he'll get as big as Our Johnny man was at about 100#

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Gazebo/bridge is finally taking shape. Things are finally in forward motion again.

Attachments

• Koi pond build update 002.JPG
    Koi pond build update 002.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 232
  • Koi pond build update 003.JPG
    Koi pond build update 003.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 261
  • Koi pond build update 015.JPG
    Koi pond build update 015.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 273
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Remind me, Larkin. There are 2 separate ponds, as I recall, but will they connect in any way, or the bridge will give the illusion that they flow underneath? Also, will you have different things (plants, fish, etc.) in each side? Love the bridge/gazebo effect! And, love the stain color you used. Very cedar looking and rustic, to go along with your new home. Kudos to your son and daughter in law (or was it daughter and son-in law?!) for doing a wonderful job on staining those boards for you!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I wanted to blend in a natural setting and a formal setting in one. The Koi pond will have a more Formal look, no plants in the pond, strictly for the Koi. The pond that is up and running now is completely seperate. In fact the two are even on seperate electrical circuits. I wanted the appearance they are connected without them actually being connected. That's my daughter and son in law.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With the way you are doing that the illusion will be perfect! fantastic job

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Been a while since I gave a update on this thread. We are now cycling the pond. Starting to take shape. The Three Koi in the cage are from Kodama Koi. They are going to stay in the protective cage for the next four weeks or so. I want to be able to closely monitor the new arrivals and figure this is the best way to keep them separated from the rest of the group until they can go through a few weeks quarantine. Finally got the fence up in the back yard. 3.5 acres completely fenced and two seperate pens. Now to see what kind of critters we keep n them. I'm still thinking the top of the hill pen should be a mud pond for Koi.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 228
  • 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 270
  • 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 246
  • 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 240
  • 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 273
  • pond sludge 018.JPG
    pond sludge 018.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 216
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 232

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
All looks so nice and inviting to sit there and gaze all day long! Wow another pond..............you are fish crazy koiguy :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Can never have too many ponds, huh, Larkin? Love the idea of the mud pond, but when the heron comes a calling, you will have to make sure the sides are straight down! Sounds like you're thinking of raising koi for sale. I have a feeling, and it's just my opinion, but I think that there is going to come a time, probably in the next 5-10 years, when there are so many koi for sale, the prices will be dirt cheap. Kind of like what happened with mini cows, and ostriches, and so forth. Flood the market, everyone gets in to make money, then too many sellers, not enough buyers. Just saying .... :)
Or, maybe you simply want a place to put the excess fish, and why not have pretty fish rather than blue gill and bass, etc. to look at in your pond!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
CE, I doubt I will get that deep into Koi. If I do breed it will be either flock spawns and see what nature lets me keep, Or it will be a project for specific breeding. I'm actually thinking a shallow mud pond and raising plants and goldfish. I have thought about starting a plant nursery and goldfish and then maybe sell a few koi.
This last week I have been working on a mud pond but this is more of a watering hole for the animals. We have a area that has a run off problem. I'm building a small pond and burying overflow pipe to try and retain water for the animals to drink and to try and stop some of the dirt from washing away. If it ends up big enough I may stock with some catfish, if not It may just end up a turtle pond. LOL .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
That's a great idea, Larkin. A former neighbor did that as conservation measure, made a dam on a waterway that went from field edge into the woods, to slow the water flow. But, I think in his situation, it dried up in the dry season. So, dig it out some if you want it to retain water, and then let the fun begin with fish and turtles and frogs ... and whatever else makes it their home.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I don't know if it will hold water all the time or not, I'll give it a good bit of time to see before actually introducing and thing living. If it wonders in it's welcome to stay. But I thought it would be cool if I could get a few nice catfish to live in it. Maybe even albino's so i can see them every once in a while. :surprised:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, Larkin, LOVE the flagstone! Did you plan on putting it over the concrete all the time? It's fabulous, and going to be a lot of work to get it done, but wow will it look super!
And, I have to say, I bet I know which is your favorite koi! At least to me, the one that stands out from all the others is that black/red/black/red/black fish on the left side of the pic! I have never seen a koi pattern I have liked as much as that one. Really neat.
Your project is really coming along. Shows tons of hard work along the way for sure! One day, maybe .... you will get done and get to sit and just enjoy, no more work. :)

Ask a Question