Made a offer on the new place today.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by fishin4cars, Dec 22, 2011.

1. fishin4cars

taherrmann4 Tmann

Larkin I really like the wood that you surrounded your pond with really completes the wall and the pond. Do you have an overflow on that pond?

taherrmann4, Aug 25, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. fishin4cars

fishin4cars True friends just call me Larkin Moderator

Todd, I have one but I think it is a bit to small for Tropical storms and Hurricanes. LOL It's a 2" line that is in the skimmer. The overflow can handle about 2" of rain a hour. Anything over that flows out and around the sides of the waterfall at the ends of the benches. No fish can escape so I can make adjustments for this round. I still have to make a drain area for overflow water to go to the main pond without allowing pond life to get in the main pond, Both plants and fry. Right now there are screens that catch most everything. I like the sides, they can be unscrewed in the middle and just lifted off. Two people can take them off in under 10 minutes. They make a nice bench, keeps the little ones and the blind pug from walking off into the pond, and I'm hoping makes a great place to hand feed.

fishin4cars, Aug 25, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. fishin4cars

CountryEscape

OK, thanks, Larkin. I've bought plants from Andy, so I'll give him a shout, see what he thinks. Yes, the turtles do use them to stand on, I would guess. I've not seen any birds land on the lilies, so that's out. I know the turtles are munching on some of the flowers, as I've seen some of them half eaten. BTW, all of my lilies are hardies, except one from Andy, and I just added two tropicals today. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions, both of you!

CountryEscape, Aug 26, 2012
  4. fishin4cars

CountryEscape

Larkin, great pics on your Showcase thread! That new pond you dug out will be interesting to see how full it gets after Isaac comes through. I hope it doesn't get washed away!
    And, I couldn't understand the tall solid wood fence, until I saw the house nearby. I never saw a house in any of your other pics! Guess you wanted some privacy, or maybe to keep your area safer, since you have several ponds and lots of animals, although I didn't see any animals. Do you have them at your place yet, or still have them somewhere else?
    And, I have to ask, what is kept in the small shed that has the "Beware of Dog" sign on it, and the AC in the back, and ramp going down on the backside? I'm wondering if it's for rabbits! Once saw domestic rabbits that had their own pen, and were tame would come up to be petted. But, they had their babies in the dirt, dug nests under the edge of the building.

CountryEscape, Aug 29, 2012
  5. fishin4cars

CE, I'm hoping it doesn't get washed away either! LOL we had a thunderstorm last week that washed part of the levee out after I flipped the tractor. we were finally able to get down in there again and got the overflow pipes in place. This will tell the tell if it will hold water or not. The solid wood fence is to hide the people i'm constantly having issues with. the land right behind the fence is the land dispute property. they have two mobile homes and a partially burned down house with about 10 junk cars. all on supposedly 1 acre of land. I wanted privacy from them!
    The beware of dog building is the dog house. Our pug is blind and deaf, So I built the back porch for her so she had a ramp to safely go out and take care of her business. We keep the air on about 80 all the time so they have a place to cool down if noone is here and they need to stay out there. It's heated too. Little spoiled huh? lol We still haven't decided on what animals we/SHE wants. we had two horses but the person that gave them to us had a problem with the people he was keeping his horses at and he ended up selling them before we could get our land ready, then we got a Alpaca, She stayed at the breeders place and got pregnant. It's due to have it's baby in march so he's holding on to her for now. he's made offers to let us pick out another one, or a pair of Nubian goats,(I want but the wife doesn't like them.) So we have a farm and no animals for it yet. LOL The fence still has a spot I'm not comfortable with behind the spillway of the new pond. I'm still kind of waiting out the storm and see what happens back there and see what measures need to be taken to fix that area, It's just a spot that a small animal could get under or a racoon or small bobcat COULD get in. But it's where the water goes during heavy rains so I have to figure that spot out. We have talked about rabbits, I doubt that we will do that, Chickens, Probably will get a few laying hens once we can get ther pen built and a coop built. I want minature, horse, pigs, donkey something like that, the wife want riding horses so who knows??????lol

fishin4cars, Aug 29, 2012
  6. fishin4cars

whiskey Always trying to perfect something fishy

Hi larkin its Whiskey [terry]

Its been awhile since i read your threads, ponds coming on fine, looking really great something out of a picture book.
    Must say your fast becoming a dr dolittle but thats a side of you, for the better and the animals and fish.

Are your so called Hobos and privacy issues threating, a wooden fence is not fire proof....steel is....being they have a burned out shell of a house.

anyway keep up the good work im back on my feet again, so i`ll be back out in my garden today, playing with a different kind of waterworks. he he

whiskey[terry]

whiskey, Aug 29, 2012
  7. fishin4cars

CountryEscape

Larkin, sounds like you will have a baby Alpaca soon, won't that be adorable! So, you will have two right off the bat. I must say, if you want goats, Nubians are the "mouthiest" of all the breeds, IMO. My daughter used to show Toggenburgs, and they were very quiet, son had Nubians, VERY loud. At shows, you ALWAYS knew when the Nubians were showing, the whole barn was noisy. But, if you like the floppy ears, they are the only ones that have that! Now, if you want a mini goat, don't get pygmies, unless you or the owner bottle raises them. And, they have those pot bellies. If you want mini, but dairy style goat, get Nigerian Dwarfs. They are actually milk producers, but on a much smaller level, and look like mini dairy goats. Very sleek, pretty bodies, no pot bellies on them, and small size like the pygmies. Ideal! Check them out.
    I would like a mini donkey, too. There is a guy lives right up the road from me has a gray baby with the wither and leg stripes! Adorable!!! Very lovable, too. He also has a white with gray spots paint one but he's going to keep him for a stud.
    And, if the wife wants a riding horse, get her one, or two so you can go riding, too! They all get along great with the goats and mini donkeys. Probably the Alpaca as well. My horses were with our goats, no problems at all.
    I can't wait to see your alpaca and the new baby in March. Hope you're weather Isaac! I heard LA was getting hit hard earlier today. Stay safe!

CountryEscape, Aug 30, 2012
  8. fishin4cars

whiskey Always trying to perfect something fishy

HOPE ALL WELL WITH YOU ALL

WHISKEY

whiskey, Aug 31, 2012
  9. fishin4cars

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

They are saying most of la is without power, it might be awhile until they can communicate.

addy1, Aug 31, 2012
  10. fishin4cars

Well the Alpaca's never materialized, The wife never decided on getting a horse and then this week we found a couple that was thinning their herd of Pygmy goats, all were bottle fed from young and have been handled since young. We got two males, Rock and Roll, Rock is the Black with the white spot, Roll has the Emo look, Then there are the two girls, Lamb Looks like a white lamb with horns and is the smallest and youngest of the herd, she is 2 years old. The brown female didn't have a name and we haven't come up with one yet. She is the oldest at 5 years old. The boys are brothers and they are three. We also got our first chickens, a trio of Lemon Cuckoo Orpingtons. The chicken pen isn't ready yet so we are having to keep them inside until there pen is ready this next week. So I guess we can now call the Ponderosa an actual farm.

Attached Files:

fishin4cars, Jun 3, 2013
    Becky, HARO, capewind and 1 other person like this.
  11. fishin4cars

j.w I Love my Goldies

Hee Hee I think the one w/ the hair hanging down in his eyes is cool........guess that is what you call the Emo look :biggrin:
    Now are you gonna breed them or milk them and have goats milk too? My friend up the road milks hers and loves the stuff. She says each milking goat has its own flavor and some are better than others. She made some cheese out of it too. Tasted pretty good, real creamy! I have a feeling we will be hearing some stories on the goats as they can be real characters and get into all kinds of trouble if you're not very watchful of them.

j.w, Jun 3, 2013
  12. fishin4cars

JW, my understanding and I have to thank CE for bringing it up in a post way back when. Dwarf goats are more milk goats, pygmys are more meat goats, NOT that I plan on eating any of them. They can be milked but again, that's not what they are for. We are raising them more as pets. The grandkids will love playing with them. And for what they go for around here babies bring a nice little income. In fact I enjoyed working around them today. They are always checking out what is going on. Rock is the character, He's the black one. He head butted Cujo (The St. Benard mix breed that adopted us)today, It was so funny I almost fainted I laughed so hard. You would think Big ole Cujo would be like what was that, OH NO, He left yelping, then was scared to death of Rock the rest of the afternoon. Mind you, Rock weighs a whopping 33# Cujo weighs 153#. Butch sits by the pen and watches them, he's not interested in going in the pen but he seriously watched over them all afternoon. Drake is licking his chops watching the chickens. We had a couple of introductions today. I'm thinking given a chance Drake would get one of the chickens. So that's pretty high on the priority list is to make sure the new additions get all the dogs approval and learn that the new arrivals are suppose to be here.

fishin4cars, Jun 3, 2013
    j.w likes this.
  13. fishin4cars

Becky Administrator

Rock and Roll are a very handsome pair! :) Have you got a name for the brown female yet? Her coat is a lovely colour, how about something like Caramel / Cinnamon / Autumn?

Becky, Jun 5, 2013
    CountryEscape likes this.
  14. fishin4cars

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Ahhh! And I just missed getting to meet them! Assuming you'll have a pen for the chicks, but where will the goats be? My Mom told me stories of her childhood, and always made me want a "watch-goose"! Bet Drake wouldn't mess with the birds any more after an encounter with a goose! LOL, about the head-butt -- poor, sweet Cujo!

OK, for [boy] names, since you live on the PONDEROSA..... Hoss, Little Joe, Adam, Ben, Hop Sing, Coffee (the sheriff), Candy.... Used to know the name of Little Joe's [paint] horse. Then for girl names [GUNSMOKE] -- Ruth (Festus' mule), Miss Kitty... And I like Becky's suggestions, too.

Oh, and when/if you ever get that riding horse for your wife, let me know so I can plan another visit :)

Mmathis, Jun 5, 2013
  15. fishin4cars

Lesson on raising goats, they are right beside you when you are working on something, But when your ready to put them in the barn at night they always go to the back of the property and will not come when called!! Lesson two, when carrying goats, be aware they have horns, horns are hard and hurt badly when jerking around. Lesson three, Who ever said goats will keep bushes and grass kept down, that may be true, AFTER they eat everything you wanted to keep. BTW, Goats love Water lettuce, water hyacinths, Parrots feather, Figs, Blueberries and black berries ALOT. Needless to say, I no longer have any of the fore mentioned plants behind the barn now. Only other thing they can possibly eat that I would love to keep is my two Large oak trees, Wonder how long it will take before they eat them too.
    Oh and did you know that baby chickens are louder than a 100 watt sound surround system, I didn't either until I tried to watch NCIS which is the wifes favorite show. Depending on where you are IF you stay in the house the chickens can be louder, and Roosters ARE louder.
    I like the names suggested, At this moment in time the brown has a name, however I think it's best I not put that here. (Profanity is not tolerated and is reason for being banned) So everyone can use their own imagination here. But I will give a hint. 95 degrees, 100 % humidity, herding goats up and down and back and forth across the back two acres. Usually resulting in having to carry at least one to the barn to get the rest to follow, and at the moment the brown one does NOT like to be caught and all the others follow her. ______-----________

fishin4cars, Jun 5, 2013
    CountryEscape, Becky, addy1 and 2 others like this.
  16. fishin4cars

gardengimp

Chickens, goats and fish; oh my!

Sounds like fun

gardengimp, Jun 6, 2013
  17. fishin4cars

Dave 54

Larkin what a stunning place your so lucky , space here is at a minimum nowadays as more and more green field sites are used up .
    As to a name for your house why not name it after the book I bought the other day but add a little to it So it would be "Still Waters,The place of the Nishikigoi".
    Still Waters after that huge lake you have and the Nishikigoi because of your love for them ( its just an idea .

Good luck with your new home

rgrds

Dave

Dave 54, Jun 6, 2013
  18. fishin4cars

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

roflmao....................a friend wants us to get goats to eat the poison ivy that is popping up everywhere.........yeah right! They would eat every plant I have before they would even start on the ivy. Glad you enjoy your goats! Larkin and peaceful chickens

Darn stuff is now growing in the inside garden, told honey he needs to be on get rid of it gang, (he does not get poison ivy rash) since I react so bad to it. It is mixed in my raspberry bush, darn stuff.

addy1, Jun 6, 2013
  19. fishin4cars

Dave, If you had brought that up 6 months ago it probably would be named Still Waters. That would have fit perfectly. But since we have already Got the LLLC done for the taxes and Ins, and the $400 sign made I guess it will stay the Ponderosa while we own it. BTW, once you finish the nppk give me a review, That's one of the next books I would like to add to my collection as well

fishin4cars, Jun 6, 2013
  20. fishin4cars

CountryEscape

Larkin, I'm sure glad I explained the part about the dwarf MILK goats and you understood pygmies are totally different. I have another suggestion. Are both of your boys still "males"? If so, have at least one of the castrated. If you don't, when the girls come into heat (usually in the fall for milk goats, when the weather first turns cold), those boys will fight severely for the girls attention, and you may have cuts and bumps, and possibly worse. If they are kept separated from the girls, you will be ok, but if you want them all together, castrate one of them.
    The other thing to be aware of, when the girls go into heat, the boys will become sooooo stinky you will want to get rid of the goats! Just saying ... another thing, cut those beards BEFORE the boys go into rut (when the girls are in heat, end of summer). Here's the deal! Boy goats pee on their beards to make them "smell good" ... NOTTTTT ... to the girls. They even pee into their own mouth! Yeah, I know, that's really gross, but they do lots of gross things when it comes to wooing the girls. I'm just giving you fair warning. I never owned a buck .. EVER ... and we had goats for 10 years. Always borrowed one for breeding season, or took the does to the buck. Granted they smell the worst during breeding season, but breeding season can last from Sept to Feb.! If you keep the bucks away from the does, and don't want one of your does bred, they will go in and out of heat every 21 days all fall and winter, thus stinky bucks longer! Just some pointers so you don't get a bad surprise later!
    I would suggest picking the buck with the straightest front legs (viewing from in front) with the most width between the front legs, and the most angulation of the rear legs (from the hock - knee - up to the rump). You want it to be nice and curved there. Wait, that may be for milk goats, maybe not for pygmies. Hmm ... Or, choose the smallest male, as everyone wants SMALL pygmies! Also, once you castrate one of the boys, he will be much gentler to handle, especially if there are kids around.
    As far as catching them for the evening, do you feed them any grain? If so, ONLY feed it to them in the evening. They are smart. If they THINK you want to catch them, they will run. So, do NOT chase them, walk the other way. As you said, they are curious, and follow you everywhere. Make a set up that once they come through the door to the barn, you can pull a rope and close the door. As with any animals, you have to out think them. If they think you are sneaking to catch them, they will run. It's their nature. Also, they want to run and play, and "catch me if you can" is a game to them.
    Last, never carry a goat. They can be easily trained to be led. Put a collar on them, leave it on them. Then use a dog leash (good quality one, strong buckle, or horse lead). When we watched pygmies be shown, they lead them like a dog. Yes, drag them if you need to. As with any animals, they will soon figure out it's easier on them to just follow you. But, try luring them to the barn with grain or something they like.
    Sorry they ate so many of your plants. I could have forewarned you about that as well! They will prune each and every tree and bush to what they can reach standing on their hind legs. If it has leaves, they will eat it. Period. They will NOT eat grass, or only as a last resort. Goats will try to eat anything or put anything in their mouth. Will they eat a can? Nope, but will they gum it around in their mouth? Yep, if it will fit. They will also want to "taste" your shirt and shoes, and anything you have in your hand. They are that curious, but you already figured that out.
    Have fun with them! Keep trying to think like them, don't think like a human. That's what got your in trouble and why they run when it's time to go inside. Make sure you don't wait until you have to get them right now, too. They will know you're in a hurry, and take that much longer to decide to come up. If you go for them, and they run, turn around, head to the barn. If one comes, the rest will, too, because they don't want to be left out. Just figure out a way to be inside the barn, and pull the door shut from somewhere besides the door. If they see you inside the door, waiting to shut it, they will not come inside. You will figure it out in time. Enjoy!!!
    Loud chickens just makes it that much sooner you'll have their pen ready! Be sure to put a top on it to keep predators out from above. I always used electric wire at the bottom outside and top outside, too. Raccoons and skunks will climb a woven wire fence if they can get in from the top. Snakes are hard to keep out, but hopefully that won't be a problem for you.

CountryEscape, Jun 10, 2013
    Mmathis likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question