Made a offer on the new place today.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by fishin4cars, Dec 22, 2011.

1. fishin4cars

fishin4cars True friends just call me Larkin Moderator

Wow, been a while since I posted on this thread. Goats and chickens have settled in very well. We now have a separation pen in case anyone needs a time out. But for now the four goats have really been for the most part an enjoyment. No eggs with the chickens yet but they are all free ranging and usually hang out near the barn.
    Anyway today was our first attempts at harvesting the babies in the mud pond. after 12 pulls with the sieve we ended up with a whopping 29 Koi, then one jumped out so ended up with 28 at the end of the day. Boy that was a lot of work! So far only a couple have caught my eye to keep and raise a little longer. BTW, the ones I really want to see are still in the pond, even pumping out half the water and we are still having a lot of problems catching these little fellows. My guess, there is still another 200-300 that have escaped capture.

Attached Files:

fishin4cars, Aug 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. fishin4cars

Roll And Momma are proud to announce the birth of the Ponderosa's first new born baby pygmy goats. The Twins were born at 5:00 and 5:10 pm 12-11-13. The first born was our new little Billy, So far I'm calling him Rolly Polly, The little doe was born second. Rolly Polly weighed in at 1# 8oz The little girl weighed in at 1# 6oz. Momma and babies are doing well, Roll is being a typical new Dad, Strutting his stuff and blowing hot air! LOL, Had to separate him about a month and a half ago. He's started snorting and acting very high spirited the last few days. Today after he heard the babies he really started going nuts! Yep, typical Dad.
    I was hoping that Rock was the Dad, But I really didn't care, Lamb isn't far behind so still could get a another color out of her.

Attached Files:

fishin4cars, Dec 13, 2013
    haver79, Becky, CountryEscape and 3 others like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. fishin4cars

Less than two weeks before Christmas and we are just now experiencing the change of colors and the best fall colors of the year.

Attached Files:

haver79, CountryEscape, sissy and 2 others like this.
  4. fishin4cars

j.w I Love my Goldies

Those babies are so cute and furry and I can't get over how your place is so gorgeous like a park. You don't really have a Winter do you, I mean it doesn't really get that cold does it?

j.w, Dec 13, 2013
  5. fishin4cars

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

cute! honey would love for us to get critters, but changes his mind when I tell him we could not travel then

addy1, Dec 13, 2013
    CountryEscape likes this.
  6. fishin4cars

sissy sissy

for the short time you have been there you sure have done a lot of work .Amazing to see how far you have come .

sissy, Dec 13, 2013
  7. fishin4cars

Thanks Sissy, yes it's been a lot of hard work but we are finally about through with all the major projects. I tried to post some pictures of the front of the house. I did a trade off with a landscaper to do the beds close to the house in exchange for putting in a small preformed pond at his house. He put in a sprinkler system, drain lines, reformed the beds to the patio, and enclosed the Air Conditioning units in lattice work. I have already planted some of the Camellia's, Hydrangea's, and Nandinia's, I'm also planning on adding some different types of Hosta's this spring. Hope to add pic's this week but was having a issue posting pictures last night. I don't like the way the manager works now for adding pictures. Lot harder than it used to be.
    JW, No it really doesn't get that cold. 6-10 mornings of temperatures at or bellow freezing is about a normal year. Two to three days a year it might not get above freezing but actually that's quite rare. If we get down in the low 20's we think it's the frozen tundra around these parts. LOL

CountryEscape and j.w like this.
  8. fishin4cars

sissy sissy

I love hosta's I have been dragging some from house to house 30+ years .I have to pick and choose where to put them here at least until the trees get bigger .

sissy, Dec 13, 2013
  9. fishin4cars

Mmathis TurtleMommy

You should see it in person! Awesome location, too!

Mmathis, Dec 13, 2013
    CountryEscape, fishin4cars and j.w like this.
  10. fishin4cars

Shot a quick video yesterday of the babies getting to explore for the first time.

Attached Files:

fishin4cars, Dec 16, 2013
    Becky, addy1, CountryEscape and 2 others like this.
  11. fishin4cars

Mucky_Waters

Got a kick out of watching the little guy jump in the water trough. :lol:

We use to have milk goats years ago and had one bred. She produced a couple kids and I use to bring one of the baby kids to the school sometimes when I picked up our "kids". The other children getting out of school screamed in delight when they played with that little goat, and the baby goat seemed to relish it just as much. It was funny to watch, the more the kids played and laughed with the baby goat, the more excited he would get and it seemed like he instinctively knew just how to play with a large group of children and keep them all entertained.

Mucky_Waters, Dec 16, 2013
    addy1, Mmathis, CountryEscape and 2 others like this.
  12. fishin4cars

j.w I Love my Goldies

I think mama tries to keep those babies in line constantly w/ her stern bleating. Ha ha see what happens when the little one didn't pay attention................that was so cute :biggrin:

j.w, Dec 16, 2013
    fishin4cars likes this.
  13. fishin4cars

CountryEscape

What a good mama she is! Those babies were intent on exploring, and she was so worried about them all the time! The little one's tiny cries were so cute when he was behind the gate. And I did an "OMG" out loud when it fell into the water trough! Here, that baby would have been rushed inside and blow dried, to keep it from getting hypothermia. Guess my brain cannot wrap around it's so much warmer there. Seeing fall leaves on the ground confirmed your mild temps. Such darling kids!
    Our first dairy goat was a buck kid, born on Jan. 1, mama died having his sibling, but he had nursed, so had colostrum. He was raised in our basement until it got warmer, and we fed him wayyyyy too much (they only need to be bottle fed 3 times a day until 1 month, then just 2x/day). He became our watch dog. Seriously, when he got big ... and man did he get BIG ... he would put himself between my kids and neighbors or any strangers that came over. And, he'd give you that sideways glance that said, "If you do not leave my human alone, I'm gonna butt you in the gut!" You had to give him a wide berth. He loved to butt. LOL These pygmies will be so cute watching them grow up. Did I hear your buck calling to them, too, toward the end, right before the little guy fell in the water trough?

CountryEscape, Dec 17, 2013
    fishin4cars likes this.
  14. fishin4cars

LOL, The reason the video shut off right when it did is I ran inside and got a towel and dried her off. I felt so bad, she was shivering. It's not that cold but it was about 40 degrees outside and I imagine the water was even colder than that! Yea, you heard her Daddy in the background. Roll is making all kinds of sounds, spitting, being a cranky ole man right now. Rock has become kind of off to himself since Roll gets all mad and bullies him. I let Rock walk in back with me in the second fiels today and I think he enjoyed the time alone, at least until he can get back in and visit with his girls... :)

fishin4cars, Dec 17, 2013
    CountryEscape, Mmathis and j.w like this.
  15. fishin4cars

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

So so cute! Not letting my honey see them, he will want goats again. Keep telling him we can't have them if he wants to travel like he wants to, once he is not working, which is soon.

addy1, Dec 17, 2013
  16. fishin4cars

Mucky_Waters

LOL, When our little goats were born it was early spring and still very cold out, and where the mother gave birth their compound was in the shade. I remember watching the little guys just standing there shivering like crazy, still all soaking wet from just being born. Fortunately it was sunny out though, so we hauled them all out of the compound to a sunny area. Within minutes of the sun hitting them they stopped shivering and were started jumping around playing with our kids and looking for trouble.
    Baby goats are a lot of fun, but that being said adult goats can be a royal pain in the butt, especially billy goats. The mother of our baby goats was an exceptional goat though, she was a Lamancha goat, a champion milker and incredibly well behaved. Unfortunately her kids were crossed with something else and never took on her characteristics when they grew up.

Mucky_Waters, Dec 17, 2013
    Mmathis, fishin4cars and j.w like this.
  17. fishin4cars

j.w I Love my Goldies

My friend up the road has one or more of the Lamancha type goats and she has this special one that she just loves the milk she gets from her. Guess every goat can have a different taste to their milk.

j.w, Dec 17, 2013
  18. fishin4cars

CountryEscape

Different goat breeds have higher cream content than others, just like dairy cow breeds. I think Saanens (pure white, ears are upright) tend to be thought of as the heaviest milkers, goat dairies typically have just Saanens, or Saanen crosses. Nubians (large breed, ears hang down) also are heavy milkers. Bad thing about Nubians, they are loud mouths. Go to a State Fair where all breeds are present, and you WILL know when the Nubians are showing. Their buddies will be screaming their heads off back in the pens. LOL My daughter had Toggenburgs, which are light tan with white socks and markings on their heads, look very much like deer, and Alpines - all different colors, upright ears, large bodies. Son had Nubians, his favorite breed! His dad was not impressed with what turned out to be his very best doe, Sweet Pea, as she would scream as soon as she saw anyone moving around outside. LOL I told Matt she was calling his name ... it sure sounded like "Maaaaaaaaaatt"! I loved having goats. They have tons of personality. Well, I think I like about any type of animal. Like to get to know them and their mannerisms. Had goats for about 12 years, so learned all there was to know about them.
    I'm glad your baby got toweled off, Larkin. Bet he/she was really happy about that!

CountryEscape, Dec 18, 2013
    j.w and fishin4cars like this.
  19. fishin4cars

Had a fellow come by and give me a hand today and we worked on all the fences to make sure all or at least all the holes we could find that one of the babies might could get through was back filled with dirt, added some new fence posts and made some modifications to the barn, Sweetie, our newest doe looks like she may be the next to drop, The Daddy to her baby was with her when we got her. He has much bigger horns, mane, and longer chin hair than my males now. He also had some spotting so we are hoping for one from her to be a little different color than the rest of the herd. Little Lamb will probably be the last to drop. The babies were out today while we were working and they are so much fun to watch. They are already forming quite different personalities, Precious (I guess that may become her name) is very friendly and like being held, Rolly Polly likes to play chase. He doesn't care with who, it can be the little sister, me, Momma, or even one of the other adult does. He will run up to someone and then run off if you walk toward hm, the more you chase the more he comes back for more. they area hoot to watch!

fishin4cars, Dec 18, 2013
  20. fishin4cars

Becky Administrator

Loved that video - poor little thing falling in that water trough! They are very cute, I love it when they bounce around :luxlove:

Becky, Dec 19, 2013
    fishin4cars likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question