My 5,000 Gal Pond Build In Photos

Reaction score
Here the pipe from the pump comes up out of the ground on the other end to go to the stock tank. The pipe across the top heads to that 6-gang manifold where all my water exits to the waterfall, TPR's and 2 wall spitters.

CIMG2733.jpg

I settled on this simple design around the spitter plates. This was before I put the wet look sealer on. The glue on around the tiles has not yet been wiped away in this pic, so it's still a little messy:

CIMG2730.jpg

I am taking a break from this post for a moment, and starting a new thread on my Stock Tank Filter. You can see it here.

Reaction score
awesome build koi keepr, looks very time consuming and costly, but at least it's all done right and should give you many, many years of hassle-free enjoyment.

:)

Reaction score
Not really time consuming...it's been a few weeks only, and not really costly as it's been a lot of personal manual labor. The materials we're using are pretty cheap: cinder blocks are only a few dollars each, cement isn't terribly expensive, the slate tile was only $1.79 each and we didn't use many, PVC pipes and fittings are only a few dollars. It's really all how you do it. If you do your own blood, sweat and tears, its really not much in the end. If I had hired a pond contractor it would probably be nuts in cost for sure! I'm getting satisfaction over how cheap I've been able to do it on my own with a bit of help.

Reaction score
ha. i know the value of "doing it yourself". i had a local professional come out to assess my pond situation. i hadn't really researched ponds at the time and was completely clueless. i was thinking, they'd come out, clean it out turn the pump on and voila, $300 later i'd be mint.

boy, was i wrong. for $1500 i was going to get a bead filter and a bottom drain installed. that'd be phase 1. phase 2 would be a new pump installed. grand total $2200 parts and labour. phase 3 would be a waterfall and a UV filter, cost TBD.

i'm hoping when i'm up and running i'll have spent $650-700 on a skimmer, pump and filter with with a free waterfall. of course rocks and aesthetics will add to the total, but that can be done after.

your build is a perfect example of doing it right the first time. there's always more satisfaction when you built it rather than just writing cheques. plus you'll know every facet of the build and how to repair and maintain it.

oh i meant to mention, if you're still going to lowe's daily, stop by your local post office and pick up a movers package (or five) there's a coupon in there for 10% off your purchase. also lowes has dewalt drill bits on end cap display for $12.99 with a $10 off $50 (20% off). you can also use both lowes coupons at HD. the $10 off $50s are also available from ebay for $2-$6 for bundles of 3-6, if you don't need drill bits.

i always keep a bunch in my wallet. i don't think i've ever left lowe's for less than $50. :lol:

Reaction score
I've been dumping water in the pond for 2 days and we're 2/3's full. Have all the ball valves closed, but have the aerators going on the bottom drains and boy are they putting oxygen into the pond!

More pics soon!

Reaction score
WOW!!! You could use my pond for a filter for that. I guess I'll take you up on the pond tour. I will be back to digging tomorrow afternoon. Most of it is done, just some fine tuning.I also have to relocate a drain pipe and install some drainage pipe to help prevent run off water from entering the pond. I lost some time putting tarps in to catch rain so I don't have a mud dish tomorrow. I checked the weather yesterday and it wasn't supposed to rain until later in the week. I would love to here any advise on my pond. I will be finalizing the pluming plans this week. The liner probably wont be here until early next week, I hope. I have not bought the pump yet or decided exactly how I am going to do this.

Reaction score
Yes, they were calling for beautiful weather the whole week, but now it's potential storms every evening starting tomorrow. Such goes the pond build!

Reaction score
ARGH! ARRRRGH! I just needed to yell a bit.

For the last week, I've been unable to figure out a problem that has been making me crazy. Last week I filled the pond up about 1" above the lower skimmer plate. Kicked on the pump and everything worked beautifully--as expected. Had to shut down as it was getting late and figured I'd contunue the next day.

The following morning I wake up bright and early and notice that the water is 1" below the skimmer plate. Hrmph! I put the hose in the pond and again fill it up to the point where the proper water line of the pond will always be. I shut things off, and the next morning, again the water line has dropped again to the very same spot. WTF! I've got a leak!!

So, I begin the process of elimination over the course of many days. I knew it wasn't the skimmer because the water would drop below the skimmer plate. I didn't think it was a hole in the liner, as it would have taken a fairly significant hole to lose that much water, but nonetheless I look carefully for holes around the liner and see nothing.

Ok, so maybe it's one of my TPR's. I drop the waterline to the top of the TPRs and do the milk test. I grab some milk in the palm of my hand and release and float it in front of each TPR to see if I notice any milky water being pulled in by the leak. Nothing.

Then I'm worried it's the bottom drains. So, I drop the water line again, below the TPR's. I make a mark on the liner and let it sit for 2 days. Nothing. The water line is completely in tact, and the bottom drains are holding water as required. Amen!

Yesterday, my friend who is helping me comes over to noodle the problem. We decide to take off the flanges on the TPR's and feel behind them through the rubber, and it's totally dry. We reset them with a PILE of P&L Roofing Sealant and sit at the pond edge to contemplate.

I tell him that the odd thing is that there was water behind one of the corner folds in the liner above one of the TPR's. Finally, he says, maybe it's how I folded the corners?! Now, I wasn't there when he did this part, when I came back out from a business call I noticed that the corners were beautifully folded and that was that.

So, I jump up and feel for the corner folds. Sure enough, the corners were never folded UP and OVER the pond edge! He made a beautiful fold and left the corners down about 12 inches below water line--EXACTLY the point that the water line kept dropping to!!!! So, when the water gets past the corner fold, which of course it naturally will, it finds it's way into the top of the fold and exits the pond from behind the block!

At the same time I was horrified, I was thrilled! After a week of sleepless nights of trying to figure out what was happening, I finally had a real answer. I had a good night's sleep last night for the first time in a while. There's nothing worse than losing water and not knowing why or where it's happening from.

So, what to do next? Well, I won't be able to do this until Tuesday, but I have to grab the sawzall and cut 4 of the corner capstones off the top of the block. I then need to reach down behind the liner and pull the ends of the fold up so they are above water line. I hope it will be that easy and then cement the capstones back on. A pain in the butt indeed, but at least I know what the problem is and how to fix it. Though I don't want to start ripping up work that's been done, it's actually good that this ended up the problem versus finding out it was something or somewhere much more difficult to get to.

Important lesson here--when your pond is being built and you are using help, do not walk away for a minute as important facets are happening.

Well, it's a delay, but at least something fixable. Doh!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Wow, and after all that work.
I found that making adjustments is very difficult while water pressure is working against you. I had to nearly drain mine to make minor changes in my folds and edges.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Koi Keeper. Glad to hear you fixed the problem. Thank you for sharing.
It sounds like water rules; it goes where it wants to go . Good advice as always. Smile, your new pond will be spectacular and your koi will be very healthy in it :)

Reaction score
DrDave said:
I found that making adjustments is very difficult while water pressure is working against you. I had to nearly drain mine to make minor changes in my folds and edges.

You are 100% correct DrD! I've only got about 11 inches in the pond now. Today I'm filling above the TPR's again, just to make sure that they hold water since we opened 'em up yesterday. Once I confirn that they are water tight (which I'm sure they will be), I will not add any more water until the capstones are removed and the liner folds are redone. That will leave 3/4 of the pond empty while we do this task.

It's a temporary set back for sure, but I'm so elated to KNOW where the problem is stemming from. For nearly a week I was wracking my brain trying to figure out where the heck the water was exiting. Who knew it all lurked behind what anyone could see. Had my buddy and I not sat there for a few hours thinking about this yesterday, I would have surely not realized what he had done since I had not seen him make the folds.

I feel lucky to have figured it out for sure. Well, onward!

Reaction score
DrDave said:

me too. doesn't look like much water still in the pond, but try moving that liner. ha.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
koikeepr said:
. If I had hired a pond contractor it would probably be nuts in cost for sure! I'm getting satisfaction over how cheap I've been able to do it on my own with a bit of help.
hey don't knock us guys,we gotta eat too.........:regular_waving_emot

Ask a Question