My poor pond!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by gardenlady, Jul 18, 2012.

1. gardenlady

gardenlady

okay ladies...I'll pick some up next time I'm out but is there any particular brand you prefer? How many pellets do you toss in there? I've only got 5 or 6 fish and the one shark and most are about 6". Based on my incredible lack of knowledge, you'd never know we've had a pond for 5 or 6 years!

gardenlady, Jul 20, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. gardenlady

sissy sissy

only what they can eat in a few minutes is all I give mine .I buy tetra but it's what they like but there are brands that have less by products that make the food more digestable and fish don't produce as much waste .

sissy, Jul 20, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. gardenlady

gardenlady

Sissy...the pond is looking great as you can see in the photos and I'm not having to go out as often to clean the batting. Looks like there is just a layer of muck at the bottom of the pond which I'm assuming is what is getting cycled through the batting. Really happy to have it look nice, as if my husband so many thanks to you. Putting the series down to today :)

gardenlady, Jul 24, 2012
  4. gardenlady

gardenlady

The photos I took look great but when I uploaded them here not so much. I'm going to just put a couple up from today and maybe they will look clear on your end. Now I can call it "My New Lovely Pond"!

Attached Files:

gardenlady, Jul 24, 2012
  5. gardenlady

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

wow love that dark red lily! looks like a tropical Your pond looks good too

addy1, Jul 24, 2012
  6. gardenlady

gardenlady

Hi Addy.....It's a night lilly that opens around 7 pm and stays open until around 11:00 a.m. and was given it's name *which I can't remember* to honor an young lady that passed away from cancer. It's very beautiful and we enjoy it. The pond is coming along and I guess it will continue to look even better since we are still picking up muck in the batting.

gardenlady, Jul 25, 2012
  7. gardenlady

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I have a tropical night lily, it survived the winter, sitting in our basement, but so far just leaves no flowers.

Well it is a brilliant red very nice, like the others too

addy1, Jul 25, 2012
  8. gardenlady

CountryEscape

Wow, that red lily is gorgeous!!! If you ever come upon the name again, post it so we can see about getting one. I have one tropical now, so what difference if I get another one. :) And, your pond looks VERY clear, I can see the bottom, and I'm sure you can as well, so that's all that matters. The fish are now visible again ... Great news!

CountryEscape, Jul 25, 2012
  9. gardenlady

gardenlady

I can absolutely get the name for you since we only have one actual pond place anywhere around us so we go there when we need something. I'll post when I find out what it is. Yep..can see the bottom and my fish..very happy!

gardenlady, Jul 25, 2012
  10. gardenlady

sissy sissy

You have some really wide spreading lilies and i agree the red is nice ,but i also like the ones in the second pic .

sissy, Jul 25, 2012
  11. gardenlady

callingcolleen1 mad hatter

Good job! Batting works like a charm! Sissy's got it all down to a science! :)

callingcolleen1, Jul 25, 2012
  12. gardenlady

fishin4cars True friends just call me Larkin Moderator

I'm almost certain that the night bloomer is red Flair. I got one last year and it was doing good, during the move I lost a couple of night bloomers and I'm not certain if I lost red flair or not. Still keeping my fingers crossed as none of my night bloomers have bloomed this year. I still have five out of the seven I had so maybe it's still around. BTW, red Flair is my favorite night bloomer.

fishin4cars, Jul 25, 2012
  13. gardenlady

gardenlady

Called our pond place and they told me that the Lilly that you all like so much is called "Jennifer Rebecca". This is not the one for the young lady that passed, but was another one they have there that is also a night bloomer.

gardenlady, Jul 25, 2012
    CountryEscape likes this.
  14. gardenlady

j.w I Love my Goldies

Your pond looks so nice and clear and love that red lily also!

j.w, Jul 26, 2012
  15. gardenlady

gardenlady

It's wonderful...I can see all the tadpoles at the bottom as well as lots of baby fish. We had purchased some sort of tiny fish, but the name eludes me at the moment, but they never get more than an inch long. Because of that now I never know if I actually have babies from those or my other fish. I was looking for the shark today hoping to snap a photo, but he's black so he blends well with the liner and he likes to scoot into the layers of the brick things that make up the bog.

gardenlady, Jul 26, 2012
  16. gardenlady

gardenlady

Here's two photos from later today...one showing a few of my fish and again how clear the pond is and the next where you should be able to see the tadpoles on the bottom of the pond and possibly be able to see a baby fish or two to the far right.

Attached Files:

gardenlady, Jul 26, 2012
  17. gardenlady

CountryEscape

Gorgeous red fantail and beautiful Shubunkin, Garden Lady! I had a really pretty red with white belly fantail, it disappeared, never did figure out what happened to it. Will have to get another one, and grow it up before I put it out in the pond. Thinking the frogs are eating my fantail babies I've put in there the last 2 months. Still have at least 2, saw them last night, but I put 6 in there total. Could be hiding, not sure. Saw the tadpoles, and not sure, but think I spotted a baby fish on the right in front of the lighter colored bottom.

CountryEscape, Jul 26, 2012
  18. gardenlady

gardenlady

We've lost some in the past but we do have egrets on the lake behind our house and my husband saw one on the pond side one day and shooed it away, so we may have lost some to those as well. Yep..fish on the right..there are actually quite a few of varying sizes, but like I said in my earlier post, i'm not sure if they are the small fish we put in the pond or maybe from our Shubunkin's etc. I think the tiny ones are called something that ends in daze. I almost wish I hadn't added them so I'd know when I saw a baby I could really get excited. At any rate..time will tell as to what they are. I'm looking forward to adding a few more fish to our pond soon. I appreciate everyone's comments and most certainly the help everyone has been and now that I'm on my way with the pond, I'm going to start doing more exploring to check out other ponds here!

gardenlady, Jul 26, 2012
  19. gardenlady

callingcolleen1 mad hatter

Wow pond water looks 100% better now! Nice looking fantails too! :)

callingcolleen1, Jul 27, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question