New for me! Some air bubbles have appeared

Reaction score
I have noticed some air bubbles in my bottom pond this week where I have the largest Koi! In the top pond it is covered with plants and I would like to take the smaller koi out and put them in the larger pond below for the winter since it is covered with a heavy wood lattice! Any idea's for me other than removing the plants and take the koi out then putting the plants back? Photo shows top pond with plants and the bottom pond is covered with the lattice with the waterfall between! Thanks, Jacque

Attachments

• IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 445
Reaction score
Hi. I'm not sure if there is a question about the air bubbles? Do they mean something? Nice looking plants. I can never get mine to fill out like that. No, I can't think of any way to get the fish out without removing some plants.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
dieselplower said:
Hi. I'm not sure if there is a question about the air bubbles? Do they mean something? Nice looking plants. I can never get mine to fill out like that. No, I can't think of any way to get the fish out without removing some plants.
Agreed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Place sizeable net in water in a position where it is easy to raise.

Train fish to get used to find tasty morsel in net

One day, raise the net ever so gentle when fish is looking for his tidbits...

Gently does it, ss long as the fish don't panic, they don't mind gently being bribed...

Regards, andy
http://swglist.wordpress.com/
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm trying to figure out what the bubbles have to do with this? Are you worried about them, if so pics of what s going on would help. Is it you have oxygen bubbler hooked to that pond and that's why you want to move fish to that pond?
As for removing the fish, yes removing the plants is probably the easiest and least time consuming way to catch the fish. they all don't need removed just enough to be able to see and maneuver with a net. Or if your likely to get a frost at some point this winter wait until the frost kills off most of the Hyacinths, at that point you'll want to remove the dying plants and the fish will be in far cooler water and much easier to catch.

Reaction score
My mistake, sorry I put the part in about the bubbles, I realize they are not a problem at all! "I have noticed some air bubbles in my bottom pond this week where I have the largest Koi!"

Anyway thanks so much for all the responses about moving the smaller koi! I appreciate all of them! I am just a Mom trying to keep my koi pond going as I believe it represents hope that my son will get help for himself! He built the pond maybe 15 years ago on Earth Day! Thanks to all!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The bubbles you speak of still throw a BIG question mark up. Are these bubbles coming from the bottom of the pond? are they coming from a air line or naturally occurring. If they are coming up directly from the bottom this could be a problem, not a good thing. If there is a layer of muck on the bottom and they are producing gas bubbles this could be Methane/hydrogen sulfide. That's not good. If stirred up it could release more than what your seeing and could poison the fish. If this is the case it is best to vacuum the bottom a little at the time so as not to disturb the muck as little as possible while removing the bad stuff, then top off with dechlorinated water and do this day after day until you can remove most of the waste on the bottom. I've seen people try and net the leaves and all out when this happens, If you do that it can disturb the gases and allow them to release in the water column.

Ask a Question