New pond questions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
When they get too big i will give them for three more smaller ones.His gain My loss.

I'm assuming you mean wherever you are getting the fish from - good that you have a plan. I wonder though - why get koi when you know they are unsuited to your size pond? Those koi will be too big for your pond after a single season. Why not get goldfish or shubunkins that can grow and stay in your pond? You (and your grandchildren) will get attached to your fish and it's fun to see them as they mature from year to year. Most people get koi for the colors, but you can get very colorful shubunkins (check out some of @addy1 's posts of the lovely shubbies in her pond) and goldfish are every bit as friendly as koi.

Just sharing an alternative idea - but your pond, your decision.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
OK I will cancel that order and get Goldfish and shubunkins. I just got carried away when i saw them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@420benz I love the pretty Shubunkins and all the colors. White goldfish are neat too and the orange and white patterned ones. All of those I just mentioned you can find w/ long flowing tails too.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Unless you pick up two girls or two boys. You will have babies, you can have lots of babies. Eventually the pond will balance out and the adults will snack on the eggs and fry.

But that depends on how much you feed them during spawning, how many plants they can hide eggs on, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Get yourself two pretty ones and hope for the best. Ask @CometKeith how fast those two will become 60!

Thanks. How many Gold fish can a 600 Gal. pond support?
I went from 8 goldfish to about 70 in less than 5 years in a 500 gallon pond. I did have a lot of oxygenating plants like hornwort and anacharis to help hide and support the fry. Most ponds find their natural balance with the size and quantities of fish ie bioload and once there are quite a few fish the number of babies dramatically slows down because eggs and fry are all being eaten. It's funny the babies had more interesting colors than anything I could fine on line. My favorite had a thin white stripe going around it between the head and tail and was orange on one half and red on the other. Now 5 years later that thin white stripe is more than an inch wide! There are lots of sellers on ebay that you can get goldfish from, but as other suggested go slow with buying fish and you will be surprised how many babies you will get. It probably has been the most fun thing about my pond sitting with family members both young and old watching the babies and seeing them change over time. This was taken a few weeks ago. By the way my pond is much larger now!
IMG_20180923_155522392.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sounds exciting.The Grandkids will love it.
I can't find anyone that has in pond plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The filter i had was sent back to Aquascape. Ordered two for the price of one.The pond is still cloudy with silt from the stones.Should i stir it up or leave it alone?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    185.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 2.png
    2.png
    195.4 KB · Views: 116

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The filter i had was sent back to Aquascape. Ordered two for the price of one.The pond is still cloudy with silt from the stones.Should i stir it up or leave it alone?
Let the filter work for a bit. It will clear up

Ask a Question