Permanent net structure needed, badly

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had this pond for about 30 years. Now, too old to keep inventing and tweaking ways to keep
leaves from falling into the pond. It is a MUST that we have the pond protected. No way the skimmer
box can keep up with all the various kinds of tree debris. A new plan is critical.

In the past, I have used surrounding trees as a way to anchor cable lines that hold up two layers of protection. The first layer is a black "pond"
net. The second layer is a shade cloth that is suspended a few feet above. These layers are slanted
in order to make it easier for leaves to be blown and/or gathered off. The lines attached to netting and shade cloth are heavy duty
parachute cords that act as a spring line for when winter brings the extra weight of ice and snow.
Come spring, all the lines need to be re set. Ladder climbing is required.

In the future, I envision one of two options.

One, build a rigid shade structure. Expensive, very expensive. (Rejected)

Two, create a perimeter of heavy duty cable lines...heavier than what I have used in the past and
install 12' 6x6 dimensional post where needed in order to have the pond perimeter better surrounded by
anchor points for the cable. The anchor points would include four mature trees and 2-3 posts.
Then within this perimeter attach a heavy duty flexible steel cable net. IS THERE SUCH A NET
that would suit my purpose?

I can go on line to search such nets, BUT, I much rather get a recommendation from those that actually
have used it for my purpose. I realize that some maintenance is going to be required. Debris, at some point, will
have to be removed. In the interim, it needs to be fairly rigid and withstand the weight of ice and snow.
To make it look better, I would cover it with shade cloth.

Bottom line: Need a recommendation for a metal flexible net and I am open to any other proven ideas.
It really is time to have something that works year over year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mitch, Trust me. No. We lean "natural" as it is. We are not clear water fanatics. If neglected,
we would have a burnt out pump, no fish, etc. This is an extreme situation and 10 months of the
year...something major is dropping.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@williamphillips

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How big is the pond? I bike ride by a pond that has a cover made of wood and steel mesh fencing (I think). I don't like the look, but I'm sure it works

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use window screening .It is finer and frogs and birds don't get those little feet stuck in them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The first material that comes to mind would be an expanded metal product, but that would be considered pretty heavy duty.
Could you maybe tell us more about the pond size and perhaps include a few pictures of the area?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Seems to me a Pergola idea would work and if you just built it simple would it cost that much? Then you can put your sturdy net over it and not have to worry. I would think you would have to be able to take the net off and on tho to get rid of the build up of leaves now and then or wouldn't they just rot up there and turn into a nasty mess dripping into your pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the wind may blow the stuff under the pergola .I know right now I am watching dead leaves blow up on my deck under mine .I just sew pockets in the window screening and use metal conduit like it is a curtain rod .I tie my pump to the same pipe

Reaction score
Country
United States

Cold here in Kentucky. Pond is a mess, but pictures do help so glad to share.
Pond originally dug myself 30 years ago. Then, six years ago....new liner, skimmer box, and waterfall added.
As with most projects, lots of changes if I had to do it over.

Pond sits right in front of our living room with a deck in between. Offers a nice view and gentle sound from the waterfall.
Some years ago I used pvc to make a hoop structure. When covered with a net and shaded I was pleasantly surprised.
I had a created a room and, frankly, this enclosure made sense beyond its practical purpose of keeping out leaves.
Come winter, though, and the structure had to be taken down.

The dimensions are approximately 16x18 feet.

Besides dealing with protection from leaves, the pond is due for another renovation. The guy that I hired to do
the last renovation was a cool dude but we never liked his design. The stones were not well positioned and leaves tended
to gather in the cracks rather than make their way to the skimmer box. So, I have moved the stones aside. We are still looking for
someone to do finish the job. So, there's is quite a lot to do.

I have thought of a green house structure. And, I suppose that there are people that do this for a fee. Use black pipe and customize
a structure that can be netted. Seems a leap of faith since most such people are not accustomed to such an application. And, it would be expensive. Our total budget is 5k which would include some hardscape around the pond, resetting stones on the perimeter, re-doing the waterfall, and some kind of addition for leaf protection. Behind the house is a golf course. The wind blows hard from that direction.

Suggestions welcome. I must emphasize that the room effect is so nice that I'm surprised that others don't do the same.
The two options remain...either a structure over the pond or a cable & steel mesh net.

The wind does blow lots of leaves into the pond. The direction is almost always the same. If the netting is broad enough, that works.
Or, some kind of strategic blocking/draping works.

Keep in mind that branches will fall. The surrounding trees are sweet bays. In an ice storm, always trouble.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They sell those at lowes here and they sell the pergola and garage kit like it .I know the garage and pergola were around 122 dollars .I built my pergolas on my decks myself and the plan I made up is really easy to do

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sissy, I will check it out. But, I seriously doubt they will match the the dimensions of our pond.
Plus, they are typically flimsy. I've had experience with light weight aluminum tubes. Thanks for the input.
I do wish to have an open mind but I need something that will last.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Sissy, I will check it out. But, I seriously doubt they will match the the dimensions of our pond.
Plus, they are typically flimsy. I've had experience with light weight aluminum tubes. Thanks for the input.
I do wish to have an open mind but I need something that will last.
My first framing was made of wood and covered with netting but the wood rotted eventually. My second framing was made of PVC pipes but I wanted something I could walk or sit under, that's why got my greenhouse frame. The good thing about the greenhouse frame is that it has withstood all the storms that has come by because the winds just pass through it. When the snow came, I just beat the netting once in a while so the snow would drop through.

I guess you could use PVC pipes to custom build a frame to match the dimensions of your pond. If you don't use the thinnest pipes, they should withstand quite a bit of wind.

Ask a Question