Pond fountain slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have used a lot of pl products around my fish, no issues. When the stuff dries it is like a rock.
The one I used wasn't PL though was it? I can't get the loctite one here.

I can't find any information to see if it's safe or not. I've already used it now aswell.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
The one I used wasn't PL though was it? I can't get the loctite one here.

I can't find any information to see if it's safe or not. I've already used it now aswell.
I can be overly cautious from my aquarium experience. Just something to watch for.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I've started filling the pond and the water is quite filthy from compost I've left in the plants I've put in baskets as I won't be having many fish for a while.

The waterfall I've built is lined and will be a bog filter.

I've got a couple of bags of k1 to bury under the gravel too to add just a bit more surface area.

Anyone here use bog filters?

I hope it manages to clean the water the way I want

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I think you'll find that most of us here have a bog of some sort in our ponds. @addy1 is the queen of bogs! At least a few of us have above ground ponds with raised "bog boxes" like myself, @Panzer13, and @Sparky . Once the bog is established with plants it should do an amazing job sucking up the extra nutrients that cause most algae issues.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think you'll find that most of us here have a bog of some sort in our ponds. @addy1 is the queen of bogs! At least a few of us have above ground ponds with raised "bog boxes" like myself, @Panzer13, and @Sparky . Once the bog is established with plants it should do an amazing job sucking up the extra nutrients that cause most algae issues.
The plants take out the excess nutrients but what about filtration of dirt and debris?
Will small pieces of sand that's all over the gravel get stuck in the gravel?

Another issue I'm having is it turns out the only liner that was within my budget at the moment I've bought and it works perfectly fine but it's made of polyethylene which means absolutely no glue sticks to it. I'm struggling to glue down the top of the liner to that slab so I'm hoping the wieght of the water constantly flowing down will keep it down

And I need some evergreen bog plants to try and hide the liner as much as possible.

Could creeping Jenny be controlled and pruned so that it grows around the slab but not on it? Also is keeping Jenny evergreen when air temps can get to -5 for a day or two a year

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I am really impressed with my bog. It has been just a few day since it has been up and running and I can see all the way to the bottom of my pond. I seem to finally have a handle on my free floating algae. Works great for me.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Steve2324 I'm not all that knowledgeable about plants and I'm not sure of an evergreen bog plant, but perhaps @Lisak1 or someone else would have more info?
So far I've got two irises two 9cm pots of horsetail they are tiny at the moment tho, I hope they grow fast. They are for the bog.

I know the horsetail is evergreen I've then got lots of other plants to surround the edge of the pond on the shelf but they are all very small at the moment

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
So far I've got two irises two 9cm pots of horsetail they are tiny at the moment tho, I hope they grow fast. They are for the bog.

I know the horsetail is evergreen I've then got lots of other plants to surround the edge of the pond on the shelf but they are all very small at the moment
First of all I would read the article that @addy1 wrote on bogs. Their is a ton of good information their and it will probably answer allot of you're questions.
Second, were are you located? I which climate zone? Finally pictures are worth a thousand words. I feel like I am too in the dark to really comment on you're situation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all I would read the article that @addy1 wrote on bogs. Their is a ton of good information their and it will probably answer allot of you're questions.
Second, were are you located? I which climate zone? Finally pictures are worth a thousand words. I feel like I am too in the dark to really comment on you're situation.
I'm in the UK. Last winter we had a low of -5c for one day. About 15 days of below 0
Last frost this year was around early april
Max summer temp tops at around 30c for one week. Average 20-25c during summer.

Garden is a north facing garden bog has a garden fence on all sides apart from east and south.

Direct sunlight on the pond would be limited to around 4 hours a day.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone link me to the post from @addy1 about bogs I can't seem to find it on a search.

Another question if my water turns green and I can't see down will my water lily still manage to get light so that it can eventually grow to the surface or will it die?

Also can the fish survive in a totally green pond?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Can someone link me to the post from @addy1 about bogs I can't seem to find it on a search.

Another question if my water turns green and I can't see down will my water lily still manage to get light so that it can eventually grow to the surface or will it die?

Also can the fish survive in a totally green pond?

Addys bog thread is stickied at the top of the pond construction/equipment forum.

Yes, fish are fine in green water.

Your lily depends on how deep you have it, just move it a bit closer to the surface if it is deep.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Addys bog thread is stickied at the top of the pond construction/equipment forum.

Yes, fish are fine in green water.

Your lily depends on how deep you have it, just move it a bit closer to the surface if it is deep.

I have it around 70cm deep. I can't bring it any higher unfortunately as when the ponds full I'd struggle to move it any lower as I'd have to get in 6ft of water which I don't fancy doing lol.

If I plant it st 70cm won't it just grow to surface? I figure in the wild nobody is propping them up?

Thanks I found the post now, reading it now

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Will probably be fine at 70cm, if your pond is set up correctly it should only turn green for a few weeks at most. You could just boost it up off the pond floor with a milk crate or cinderblock if it becomes an issue.

Your pond isn’t natural either. Nature doesn’t boost up plants, but ponds in nature don’t turn puke green either, unless there is human interference.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Anyone here use bog filters?
Like said above a lot use a bog type filter for their ponds. The plants in the filters really help with green water and algae.
Mine is huge, about 1/3 or so the size of my pond. Full of pea gravel and plants. Water comes up from the bottom and flows out into the pond via a water fall rock. It keeps my pond in perfect shape. It is my only filter.

Ask a Question