Pond fountain slab

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You are correct that in nature no one props up the waterlilies so they are closer to the surface - in nature they just don't grow in water that's deeper than their preferred depth. That's why you'll see natural ponds with lilies near the shore but none where the water gets deeper.

I don't know of any evergreen bog type plants. All that I know die back if you're in a zone that freezes.

I'm a little concerned about your idea to glue your liner to your waterfall - that seems like it's asking for trouble.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Steve2324, I might have missed it but most of us add a canister filter before the pond water goes into the bog. That will prevent the detruse (spelling it wrong) or organic bits from entering the bog. It will keep the bog free decaying matter and the out of your pond which is not good for the nitrogen cycle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You are correct that in nature no one props up the waterlilies so they are closer to the surface - in nature they just don't grow in water that's deeper than their preferred depth. That's why you'll see natural ponds with lilies near the shore but none where the water gets deeper.

I don't know of any evergreen bog type plants. All that I know die back if you're in a zone that freezes.

I'm a little concerned about your idea to glue your liner to your waterfall - that seems like it's asking for trouble.
I was just about to ask this, and glad someone else is asking as I'm still new to this

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
most of us add a canister filter before the pond water goes into the bog.
I don't have any filter before the water enters the bog. I use a external pump with the intake around 1 foot or so off the bottom of the pond. I have a huge leaf basket before the pump it usually collects very little debris.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I'll have to keep it at 70cm and hope it's ok.

What's wrong with glueing the liner down where it folds over the edges?

How else would you secure the liner on the lip over the slab?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have any filter before the water enters the bog. I use a external pump with the intake around 1 foot or so off the bottom of the pond. I have a huge leaf basket before the pump it usually collects very little debris.
My pump comes with a prefilter like a cage with lots of holes to stop larger debris.
Since you don't use a filter before the bog do you have to dig out the gravel and clean it when it eventually clogs? Or does larger debris get broken down in there?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What's wrong with glueing the liner down where it folds over the edges?

How else would you secure the liner on the lip over the slab?

I'm a little unclear as to where you liner is going in relation to the slab. Most edges are created by bringing liner up and under a boulder and then folded behind the boulder to keep it above water level. When you say you're securing the liner to on the lip over the slab, is the water going to go over this glued down edge?

I would hesitate to use glue because the weight of the water on your liner when the pond is full will produce downward pressure which could cause the liner to tear away from the edge or create rips in the liner. When you create an edge with a fold (or folds) of excess liner, you have built in wiggle room to allow for that downward pull. People who cut their liner too short often find the liner slipping down the edge of the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I'm confused.

The picture I posted shows the slab I've glue down. The liner will fold over the slab the so water flow over the fold and onto the slab and drip off into the pond.
I'm not sure how I'd be able to put the liner under a boulder there. I've put the concrete angel on it to hold it down but I can still see the liner unfortunately and I don't think I'll be able to hide it.

The way I have built it isn't the best but I didn't have much room to play with.

The liner then folds over the top of the fountain which is like a triangle shape.

There's no where for me to hide the liner other than possibly planting creeping Jenny to creep over it and hide it

When I get in tonight I'll take a picture of what I have so far. I'm not very happy with it to be honest but I don't think I can do it any better at the moment. I could use everyone's opinions on what I could do to make it better though

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
When I get in tonight I'll take a picture of what I have so far. I'm not very happy with it to be honest but I don't think I can do it any better at the moment. I could use everyone's opinions on what I could do to make it better though

Yup! Show us a picture and we'll all brainstorm! The idea of water running over a glued down edge puts me, well, on edge!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Steve2324 I was just going to ask if you could take a few pictures of the entire pond (not just close-ups of the area in question) — and get some from different angles/perspectives. This would give us a better overall idea of what you are dealing with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I'm in the UK. Last winter we had a low of -5c for one day. About 15 days of below 0
Last frost this year was around early april
Max summer temp tops at around 30c for one week. Average 20-25c during summer.

Garden is a north facing garden bog has a garden fence on all sides apart from east and south.

Direct sunlight on the pond would be limited to around 4 hours a day.

Hope this helps

Thanks
I am in Washington state so we have a very similar climate to the U.K. All the plants you mentioned should do fine either in a bog or in and around you're pond.
I have creeping jenny in my bog and yes should be able to train it to grow over you're water feature. It is an aggressive grower and will need to be trimmed from time to time. From what I am told it will survive the winter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right it looks so bad at the moment I hope when it's filled with plants it looks so much better.

The back garden wall along the edge of the liner where all that Metal sheeting is I plan to plant some lilies outside of the pond to hide that aweful fence when I'm done. The liner folds over onto the slab where I've put that large angel, I'd like to have irises shooting out on both left and right of that angel and some horsetail behind.

The issue I have with hiding the liner on that waterfall is the annoying part.

I'd like the water to also flow down the right hand side where I've lined then I've concreted over the liner with loads of river pebbles, the way it turned out looks nothing like I imagined and I wanna scrap the lot of that to be honest. Just don't know how to make that bit look better.

It's a very small garden so fitting this pond in was very difficult hence you can see how close to the garden fence it is.

I look forward to all your opinions

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1494.JPG
    IMG_1494.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1495.JPG
    IMG_1495.JPG
    288.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1496.JPG
    IMG_1496.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1497.JPG
    IMG_1497.JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 161

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Since you don't use a filter before the bog do you have to dig out the gravel and clean it when it eventually clogs? Or does larger debris get broken down in there?

Mine has been running since 2010, I have done nothing to it except turn off in the winter, turn on in the spring. I do purge some of the plants now and then.

The leaf basket keeps anything large from entering, but not drawing off the bottom of the pond keeps a lot out. I try to net the bottom of the pond now and then, but have not in years, nothing is there.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mine has been running since 2010, I have done nothing to it except turn off in the winter, turn on in the spring. I do purge some of the plants now and then.

The leaf basket keeps anything large from entering, but not drawing off the bottom of the pond keeps a lot out. I try to net the bottom of the pond now and then, but have not in years, nothing is there.

Are we supposed to turn off pumps in winter? I was planning on leaving on all the time. My pumps are sat on the pond floor too

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Steve2324 Turning off the pumps in winter has a lot to do with your climate. My winters (Southern US) are very mild and ponds don’t freeze. I leave mine going 24/7/365.

Ask a Question