Rocks Rocks Rocks!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
With the rock now sitting beside the pond, that 'eye socket' has become a favourite hangout.
John
johnsept12 510.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
That is one awesome rock Haro. Full of character! Looks darn heavy too.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The garden center where I work got a dump-truck load years ago, and a handful of the rocks were too heavy to lift into a trunk or a trailer. When I asked about them, I was told if I could move them, I could have them! So far I've taken about 6 or 7 of them, mostly smaller ones, but I have about six left to get. Two of them are even bigger than this one, but I'm working on it!
John

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Joseph Island puddingstone, from the Sudbury area of northern Ontario, consists of various coloured stones in a light sedimentary base rock. Often used in jewellery & crafts. I haven't yet found a boulder I could lift (without getting arrested), but ONE OF THESE DAYS!
john's to sept. 2010 113.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Haro I had to go digging for info on these puddingstone rocks after you posted about them.
Here is what I found for those w/ a need to know:
PuddingStones

The Michigan Puddingstone is a conglomerate of primarily quartzite and pebbles of jasper. The pudding stone pebbles vary in color from red to brown and pink to purple. Pudding stones are considered metamorphic and sedimentary. Pudding stone minerals contained within the rock may also vary. In some puddingstones minerals such as chromites, corundum, platinum, diamonds, gold, sapphire, and zircon have been found. Tightly cemented puddingstones make great ornamental stones when cut and polished properly.

Michigan Puddingstones were formed a billion years ago in northeast Canada. Puddingstone is a type of sedimentary rock which first formed in river channels. During the Ice Age, they were pushed down through Eastern Michigan from Ontario Canada by the glaciers. The white is quartz sand which has cemented itself together over millions of years. Mixed with it is a combination of other pebbles and stones of various sizes, shapes and colors. Some may even contain fossils. Another name for puddingstone is quartz conglomerate, meaning sedimentary rock composed of quartz and various other minerals.

Puddingstone is ideal for the hobbyist. It can be tumbled to make wonderful key chains, necklaces and other small items. The larger pieces can be cut, polished and made into book ends, lamp shades, clocks, fountains and just about anything else you can think of.

Hunt for Puddingstones in Michigan on the far Eastern End of the Upper Peninsula and the Northeast part of the Lower Peninsula. In Canada look on St. Joseph's Island and the surrounding areas.

Its name is said to derive from a resemblance to Christmas pudding.
Hertfordshire_puddingstone.jpg

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thanks, j.w.! I considered giving more info, but my typing finger will only take so much. :LOL: Apparently there are two other recognized types of puddingstone found in the US, but I'm only familiar with this variety, I have a relative from St. Joseph Island, still living near there, so I get to the area periodically. Roxbury Puddingstone has a gray base, and is found around the Boston area. Schunemunk Puddingstone has a reddish-gray to purplish conglomerate, and is found in the lower Hudson Valley region.
Boy, the things you can learn on a pond website!!! ;)
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I want the ones w/ gold and diamonds imbedded in them. Looks like you have to either drive to Michigan or Canada to find them tho :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
First it was snow,now it's rocks but if I come all the way up there they better have diamonds and rubies in them

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
First it was snow,now it's rocks but if I come all the way up there they better have diamonds and rubies in them

Think he is trying to get you to come and visit jw!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hey, it's a great place to find rocks! After all, the Great Canadian Shield is nothing BUT rock. And while I don't know where to find diamonds, I CAN take you to the next best thing. Near Combermere, Ontario, there is an abandoned corundum mine. Corundum is almost as hard as diamond, and was used as an abrasive before someone invented CARBORUNDUM, a man-made replacement still used today. Ruby, btw, is a form of corundum, and is frequently found in with the base rock. There is also the possibility of finding the odd diamond!
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You are a real rock hound Haro and if we ever get up that way it would be fun to haunt a mine, just no pushing as I want to come out alive and w/ no bats in my hair

Ask a Question