STARTING TO HATCH

Reaction score
Anythoughts on filtration how big is the container and have u tried water fleas I'm having alotta luck growing them I built a brine hatchery but I'll probably not have to use it and they are freshwater so they will last alot longer as opposed to funkin up ur water something to think about and I'm growing the fleas n a 10 gallon petco tank with no oxygen no nothing def easy as pie good luck thanks for posting

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i feed my fry brine shrimp every year...(this isnt my first time).. been selling fish a few years now...brine shrimp dont foul your water. you can feed em live, or decapsulated eggs are fine...when the fish get 1/2" i move to freeze dried brine shrimp...at one inch they go in the pond with the big guys!...i'm not growing out all these...i'd guess i have around 2000 fry.

Reaction score
Oh well my bad sorry I mentioned it didn't really ask u how long u have been doing it but ok I guess u answered none of my questions good luck man but yea brine shrimp do work fine never said they didn't just saying a fresh water food source seems like it would live longer n fresh water before it dies and sinks

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thats cool...i wasnt being sarcastic...and i just have never tried water fleas. i go with what i know..brine shrimp. whats the protein levels on those? brine shrimp are about 50% protein. higher if fed as decapsulated eggs.or hatched from decapsulaterd eggs,

Reaction score
They are usually 50# some up to 70 they reproduce asexually eat fish poo survive fresh water just figured with all the fry you have id just add my two cents in a helpful way I also built a brine hatchery with 2 gallon jugs inverted with airline at the bottom and framed in wood just in case but water fleas seem much easier I guess we will see

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yeah its hard to say the number..."conservatively"...i said 2000....how many will die?...how many will get culled?..how many will get cannibalized? been getting the pool ready for them.... waters just starting to get a green tint...
p.s.....i basically missed out on the first day of spawning too!
i would loved to have videoed that with a nice camera tho...i may try one more tommorrow

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
their in their new home... heres their fry pond for the next month or so....yes its green..... ON PURPOSE! the ugly assembly on the milk crates is a trickle filter
jw...heres the lillies,theres not but a few to the surface yet!...anyways we'll see how they do in here.
the trickle tower works as such...the mechanical is done in pond, pre pump. the oil pan is where the water is pumped, the bottom of ther oil pan is drilled full of small holes, (alot)...this allows an even dispersal of tricling water over the large planter full of lava rock..water returns via the 4 drainage holes at the bottom edge.
SANY1843.jpg

SANY1846.jpg

SANY1844.jpg

SANY1845.jpg

Reaction score
lol, I have trouble counting my 10 koi, I'm pretty sure adding 3 more would make it impossible, the way they dart back and forth as I count it's like they know EXACTLY what they are doing.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That setup looks fine koiguy for the fish and the lilies. Neat idea on the TT filter. So do you have your pump in a basket w/ media around it to pre-filter it or?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
released (I"m guessing now, hard to say with the dark green water in the fry pool) about 1/2 of the fry into the big pond this morning. i noticed the few that survived out the on their own were doing quite well. keeping up with the feeding demands of all i have is virtually impossible, and i just dont know what i'd do with them all...selling 2000+ may be beyond my capabilities here. anyways lets see how they fare. they are all still much smaller than i've had at 3 weeks old in the past...usually at 3 weeks theyre eating from my hand. and are 1&1/2" +.... oh well should have stayed at 100 or so to start like usual!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hooray they are free and enjoying the big life now! That's neat that some survived on their own in there. Will be fun watching them grow and seeing how they turn out. Looks like your in the big koi business now w/ all those fish to sell!

Ask a Question