STARTING TO HATCH

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Good gracious, That's a lot more fry than last year! They are growing fast! Already you can see so many different colors showing up. Did I hear that your building a fry pond in the basement for this winter...LOL LMAO!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
theyre alittle slower growing than usual...but not too bad. keeping 1000+ fed is more trying than 100 or so. they are 1 month old now. usually they are eating from my hands by now as well. a few will now. but they wont gather around my hand yet.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
HOLY ZAMBOOKI that's a lot of babies and doesn't look like you have lost any of them! You have so many different colors in there!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
actually i have fished out maybe a dozen since they went in there. and the frogs nabbed a bunch (probably atleast 100)...i've got one frog whos real persistant. he was back in the fry pond today.. for 3 days i didnt see any in there after every day for 10 days atleast. put about 500 - 1000 in the big pond. my big guys snacked on them for 2 days. they leave them alone now but theres only 50 maybe 75 left at most in there. but yeah...i still have more than enough!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Don't ya ever wonder tho when a frog or a bigger fish nabs one of the little guys that it might have been the be all and end all of the finest koi fish on the earth :unsure:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yeah, jw.. that thought has crossed my mind.... i would love to raise them to 8 or 9" and select the top 20 to grow out. but i dont have the facilities or cash for that. how many possible good looking fish get eaten before they even get fertilized?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i just took 2 frogs down to the creek this morning...once again i caught them in my fry pond!...i gotta be able to pick some i want before they are all picked thru for frogs meals.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes you need to be on posted frog duty constantly. Guess you better hire somebody to be on guard duty when you can't be there. Is it possible to put some kind of screen around to keep them out at least till the fry get too big for the frogs mouth? Oh well guess they can't eat them all and you will just have to hope for the best.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i dont think i have any more frogs here in my yard anymore. atleast for now.. they always show up . but i just want a month of froglessness!..

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
my biggest problem might be selling this many.... start by selliing 2 for $1.00 in a couple weeks... get the numbers down so i can select the ones to save and sell next year and wich ones to grow out. theres more in the pond. gotta start culling.

Reaction score
LMAO... I dont think making it to 500 is even a fraction! I'm guessing 5000 LOL.

BTW, how deep is the water they are in? We did our first attempted (and totally unprepared) hatch on the 5th (a few the night before, and a few the day after), and are running totally blind to what we are supposed to be doing LOL. No shrimp here, but they seem to be eating algae from the water hyacinths we added to them, and are starting to take crushed flake food...

Geri

Ask a Question