STARTING TO HATCH

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
they are in 6' dfiameter X 15" deep snapset pool...250 gal... ive got a 256 gph pump feeding a 3&1/2 gal trickle filter and the 27 gal tub is a continous drip system. when it gets low i just refill it...

Reaction score
I saw that my response was to an earlier part of the conversation (missed a page of conversation LOL)... did you get any guess on how many you have? and for how long can you use this pool?

Assuming I dont kill our babies, I am guessing right now to have somewhere between 1500 and 2000 but am only using a 60" kiddie pool, not full... maybe 60 gallons of water in it. I read that at this stage they only really need air, so have air stones, and also threw in an aquarium filter (inside a nylon stocking LOL) but it is only rated to 40 gallons, plus adding new water hyacinths every couple of days. Also every couple of days, doing partial water changes (taking the replacement water from the pond), and so far ammonia is staying at 0, but know my days are numbered before I have to do something bigger... Totally clueless here. These babies are from fish that decided to spawn in quarantine, and NOT a planned collection by ANY means LOL.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
pecan...you shoulnt need to be a facebook member to click and watch my links. but my youtube account has some real issues with uploading videos...they have the bottom 1/2 in bands of color with barcode looking lines in them....last 4 or 5 videos loaded like that...dont know what the deal is.theyre fine on facebook and my computer. why dont you join F/B?..theres a couple good ponding pages there. i'll post videos on photobucket...they should work here until youtube works right.

capewind... they need more than air after the first 2 days...they start out feeding on their egg sack.when thats gone they need feeding...and with feeding, comes filtering. my pool gets 25 gals of fresh water dripped in over 2 days...constantly. i have a tub with a continuous drip setup. i fill it every other day when its down low. at that drip rate theres no need to dechlorinate. goldfish flakes powderised is a pretty good starter food. i like brine shrimp, and spuralina powder. brine shrimp are 45% protein and spuralina powder is 60 - 65% protein.

Reaction score
Thank you.

For air, we are running a Top Fin 8000 which has 4 outlets on it, each running to a 4" air disc... this model says it is good for aquariums up to 170 gallons.

Food wise, they are nibbling on the finer roots of the water hyacinths (not sure if the roots or any algae that may be on there, but they have roots all over the bottom of the pool), and also just gave them a piece of parrots feather (have a bunch rooting in a kiddie pool outside)..

I had to go to 2 different stores to find normal fish food. Had two options. One was a sinking pellet, which would mean grinding and would do me no favors over the normal koi food, and the one I got, is a normal flake food with a 49% protein level that is easy to crush up in hand...

How long, til what size, can you keep yours in the swimming pool you are using?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
as long as you can keep the water quality up..theyre fine...they can go in the regular pond when theyre an inch long. the adults may eat some but for the most part they stop when theyre large enough to be recognized as fish...not larvae. i feed wardleys flakes as well 39% protein is a good food...i feed as frequently as i can.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am one of those tin foil hat wearing folks who thinks FB is the number one way for big brother to keep tabs on us. Biggest spy network in the world.

Just because I am paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't watching me LOL :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Reaction score
Our pond couldnt handle the load of over wintering even 50 of these babies with the other fish. My goal is to only keep 6 - 10 if we like the colors. If it is too late in the season to find homes for the others that survive, I was hoping to use a 750 gallon quarantine pond (has a bit better than 3000 gallons worth of filtration) we have in the basement to hold them til next spring. The quarantine pond however is being used right now, as a quarantine (which is where they were spawned LOL)...

Reaction score
LOL Pecan, FB is really simple. You dont post anything there that you wouldnt share with the rest of the world LOL. The govt already knows I am married, armed and hate Obama (aka reg'd republican), so if it makes them feel warm and fuzzy to spy on me, whatever LOL.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Capewind! Don't say that out loud! They will come and get you. You love Obama! Firearms are bad! That's it, that is what you meant to say.

(I got your back ;) )

I have even considered getting rid of all things based on modern technology (cell phone, computer, tv etc.) But haven't been able to cut the cord yet. I think I would be better off without them.

Reaction score
I am trying really hard to behave;-) My FB friends know I have umm.. strong opinions and those with differing views still like me, so out of respect for those with other views here, who dont yet know my twisted sense of humor, I'll end this with a simple video;-)

Geri

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
pecan...your silly...a log cabin out in the woods...thats the only way to get away from technology!...heck, fear is the enemy, and a prison in its own way. be free, be vocal. we have the right to free speach here. the biggest threat to freedoms is not using them!

Reaction score
What I really want to do is put a 12' x 3' above ground swimming pool in the garage... We were going to do it last year, but I missed the end of season sale, so hoping to remember this year. This may sound pathetic, but we have a blind girl (popeye victim) that is around 24" (so very attached) that my youngest is afraid something would happen to if we tried to move her outside, so she, and a buddy, live in the quarantine pond... everyone seems to think that new fish with unknown issues are less of a risk. If we can put a pool in the garage, she can have a nice big area (that can be well netted), and on nice days, can leave the garage open so that she can have fresh air and some real sun.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
intex pools are fish safe.... and easily put up and taken down...12" x 3' framed would be a nice indoor pond setup.... i was thinking maybe a 10' x 3' myself for the basement

Ask a Question