Starting Year Four .....

Reaction score
I started this project in Aug of 2007. It's been like restoring an old car. I've been taking my time ... but now I've gotten contractors involved (again) and things are moving along.

Attachments

• P1040741wall.JPG
    P1040741wall.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 365
  • P1040742w2.JPG
    P1040742w2.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 327
Reaction score
The last pic you can begin to see the pond take shape to the right of the patio.

Attachments

• P1040762w3.JPG
    P1040762w3.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 304
  • P1040774w4.JPG
    P1040774w4.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 353
  • P1040783w5.JPG
    P1040783w5.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 312
Reaction score
The previous owner filled in a swimming pool. At the end of the day, we started hitting some metal railing of sort. When I excavated the trench for the patio pour, I hit cement at 30 inches. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm not sure what for though, I know we're going to get into more stuff as we excavate.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is going to look so great..........keep plugging away at it. Use the swimming pool for your pond! lol

Reaction score
hewhoisatpeace said:
Sand. That's gotta be sweet! I've got clay, punctuated by rock. Hi Ho, Hi Ho.

Our luck ran out today. We hit some concrete and metal framing from the abandoned pool. Got some of it removed but not all of it. I have an electric jack hammer reserved for tomorrow. Based on what we saw, and the depth we hit it, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. If we can't remove it all, we'll get out as much as possible and adjust the depth of water in that area.

I've been lurking at this sight for some time and based on the info I've read, I'm going to have two bottom drains and two skimmers as well as two pumps and one bio falls. I think two skimmers are a bit over-kill but I'm afraid of having a dead-spot that might accumulate junk.

Question: With the above equipment, (2 skimmers, 2 bottom drains, 2 pumps, 1 bio falls) what's the most effective way to configure. Put the two skimmers on one pump and the bottom drains on the other pump? Or combine one skimmer and one bottom drain for each pump?

Attachments

• P1040793.jpg
    P1040793.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 249
  • P1040811.jpg
    P1040811.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 293

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
You the man, with all those goodies. I ran out of free cash before I decided to add the first drain, that's why mine took 9 months to build.

Did you say what kind of pumps?

I'd put the two skimmers on one pump with 2" or 3" PVC from each, dumping into 4" feed to the pump. I'd still use a leaf basket, but the skimmers should catch most of the crap.

The bottom drains are going to be your real crap collectors, so I'd plumb them together. Make sure to have valves to close them off in the winter, so you keep some warmer water at the bottom. Piped in this way, you could shut off one pump all winter long, save on electricity and wear and tear. When spring comes, you could just pump out the winter fish poop directly for use as fertilizer, and not even have to filter it.

Good question, glad you asked. Made me think a bit.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Would he want to use ball valves to redirect flow, if he finds one needs more draw then the other? on the skimmer lines and bottom drain lines?

This way too, when doing a clean out, could put a lot of draw on one bottom drain, then the other to suck out the poop.

Just a thought.

That is going to be one sweet pond!

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Considering we are making this up as we go along, I'll take any advice I can get.

Reaction score
hewhoisatpeace said:
You the man, with all those goodies. I ran out of free cash before I decided to add the first drain, that's why mine took 9 months to build.

Did you say what kind of pumps?

I'd put the two skimmers on one pump with 2" or 3" PVC from each, dumping into 4" feed to the pump. I'd still use a leaf basket, but the skimmers should catch most of the crap.

The bottom drains are going to be your real crap collectors, so I'd plumb them together. Make sure to have valves to close them off in the winter, so you keep some warmer water at the bottom. Piped in this way, you could shut off one pump all winter long, save on electricity and wear and tear. When spring comes, you could just pump out the winter fish poop directly for use as fertilizer, and not even have to filter it.

Good question, glad you asked. Made me think a bit.

If the bottom drain are on their own pump, why would you need valves to close them off in the winter? Couldn't I just turn off their pump? Is that because all four items, bottom drains and skimmers are plumbed into a four inch line that leads to bio falls?

One of the advantages of doing this project over a couple of years is spreading the cost over that time frame. Although, I'm quickly discovering I'll probably spend 60% of the cost in the last 6 weeks of the project.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if you plumb the B.Ds together to one pump you will want to put ball valve on the closest one to the pump to control flow as it will naturally want to supply the most water to the pump due to having the least travel and resistance to flow...the valve will allow you to equalize flow or regulate it to your liking.
same thing on your skimmers might be wise!!

Ask a Question