Starting Your Ponds Back Up Yet?

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
I did not get my waterfall with large pump and filter going but I have a small pump going for a turtle spitter, so there is some movement...
Fish are starting to come up but I haven't fed them yet sadly, I really want tooooo.

I am hoping for a warmer stretch of weather over the next 7-10 days so the water stays over 55 and I can feed them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Never shut mine down but the waterfall rebuild is taking me longer than i expected .But not worried about it when it gets done it gets done .Other filter and temp filter cleaning the pond for now .Quilt batting picking up all the fine stuff .

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm hoping to get my redone stock tank running tomorrow. It should have been today but I got the wrong size coupling for the out flow pipe. Another trip to the hardware store! I picked up a pressurized filter (I know, not great for large ponds) couldn't pass it up for $60. and it has a 13w uv. Got it running today and also added my 11w uv as I can't see my fish. The other pond is clear but not as deep and it has plants. Too much to do and with a construction crew here it's hard to get anything done-

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my fish are doing little chases.............think they are getting ready to spawn. The water is bouncing from 61 or so to right now 69. The sun on the bog really warms it up, the cold night really cool it off. We do have a cold week coming next week so it will drop again.

Everything but the new tank is running, soon will have it done.........soon I keep telling my self, keep getting side tracked with other projects.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That's the problem addy tons to do and not enough time and getting to the point where I need more energy .the older I get the slower I get .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We got so far behind with all that happened this year, usually I can do little things, a little at a time and stay on sort of on top. This year way behind, but plants will grow, flowers will bloom no matter what I do or don't get done.

The pond is self sufficient, luckily no real work to be done on it except plug the pump back in, which I did back in march.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I am sure there is ice on my pond, as it was cold last night, still dark here and I have to work soon this morning. I am suffering from lack of spring symdrome from below seasonal temperatures, and no end in sight till May!

Help! This is the coldest spring that I can remember in a long long time! This must be a rare form of winter payback, as it was a mild winter, but paying for that now! :(

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
I would say I'm about half way up and running. I have some plumbing issues I plan on taking care of today. Busted return line from previous owner not caring enough to Winterize pond for me :( . The plan now is To make this thing better then ever! So as of right now I have the skimmer going which powers the left side of my waterfall. The sound is just incredible! Left my sons window open last night as he has some spectacular view out to the backyard and faces the pond. It Was 70* last night and now its dropped to 46! Crazy weather I tell ya. Definitely going right from winter to summer. I am convinced spring is just not coming to The northeast this year.
Anyway regarding getting started. Once my filter and skimmer are up and running do I let them run 24/7 for the season? Do I run them for a certain amount of time per day?

Attachments

• 20130420_070125.jpg
    20130420_070125.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 201

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
studiovette said:
I would say I'm about half way up and running. I have some plumbing issues I plan on taking care of today. Busted return line from previous owner not caring enough to Winterize pond for me :( . The plan now is To make this thing better then ever! So as of right now I have the skimmer going which powers the left side of my waterfall. The sound is just incredible! Left my sons window open last night as he has some spectacular view out to the backyard and faces the pond. It Was 70* last night and now its dropped to 46! Crazy weather I tell ya. Definitely going right from winter to summer. I am convinced spring is just not coming to The northeast this year.
Anyway regarding getting started. Once my filter and skimmer are up and running do I let them run 24/7 for the season? Do I run them for a certain amount of time per day?

24/7 Once I start up for the summer it never goes off. My stream is on a timer, but every thing else just runs

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If you shut your filter's water supply off for any legth of time, the beneficial bacteria start to die off and are replaced by anaerobic bacteria. Before long, your filter becomes a septic tank!
John

Ask a Question