water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks nice.

I have some benches I had in AZ I hauled to MD, neat ones made with old wagon wheels and some sort of wood that is heavier than heavy.

They have been sitting out in our wet, cold, hot, humid, full sun MD weather. Whatever wood they used, old wood, it is just like it was 15 years ago when I bought them.

B

Burd

Azek and those types aren't composite. Composite is crap. It's no better. I've seen a lot of bad decks, made a lot of money repairing treated and cedar. I wouldn't have one. The last one we re topped, and new rails was 18 k. They put cedar back on. Two years later it looked like old pallets. Lol.
If ants don't do or carpenter bees get in, you don't put real wood outside. Period.
When I was buying a house, I passed on two that had deck nightmares. Lol
One was painted treated wood, bad idea. The other someone went to Home Depot and rolled deck saver on, real bad. I sad keep your house with the crappy deck. My new home I'm in now, I got a lot off price, one was the thing they called a pergola, it's all rotted. I'll have it down in the spring w/ a sawsall. Now if it would have been a alum or Kleer materials they would have got a lot more for the house. First I told my realtor to tell them to fix it. They wanted no part of that. 15k came off the house, crappy outside lumber does screw you if you sell. Unless the buyers are morons, but the house inspector will Catch it. Either way your screwed. With the new materials that last a hundred years, there's no reason to use wood.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would not waste my money on it here when you can but house on acreage for 15 to 20 thousand it would be a big waste of money to put on an expensive deck .Houses are not a big investment around here .I used ground contact pressure treated wood for my underside of my deck and it is around 2 feet off the ground ..Plus I am 64 years old why would I waste my money on an expensive deck ,for what .My son is a contractor and licensed here and in NJ beside being a tow driver for the turnpike and parkway .Here they do not waste their money on home inspections and that is with wells and septic tanks .They just want a cheap price on a house .There is a big house that was built just before my house 5 miles from mine and it never did sell and that was back in 2004 and now is moldy and slated to be torn down .People here will not pay 200 thousand for a house no matter what it has .i looked at the house 3 stories before I did this house .Steps in house and 3 heat pumps ,no way was i buying it .They have been salvaging stuff out of it the last month or so .Depends on where you live and how deep your pockets are .

B

Burd

Doing some work to you house that lasts and is nice isn't a waste. Remember, money is only good here, you can't take it with you.
I just moved, my hose sold before it was listed to sell, a guy begged to preview it a day before, it was nice, it sold that day, For asking price. Prob 20k over comps. The neighbors love me.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I sold my house in NJ sight unseen by buyer It did not even make it to the listing of it .It was by word of mouth .I bought it for 174 thousand and put 20 thousand into it and sold 10 years later for over 5 hundred thousand .So nothing sells a house except where you live and if there are jobs that pay and being close to transit in NJ for New Yorker's will sell a shack .Here no jobs but does not matter to me being retired .But addy built her deck and is now looking for a sealer not a new deck .If you maintain things they will last .The name I used was defy and is made for docks .Expensive but comes with a warranty .Also they say 6 to 12 months before you seal .They even sent me a free moisture meter

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The name I used was defy and is made for docks .Expensive but comes with a warranty .Also they say 6 to 12 months before you seal .They even sent me a free moisture meter
Thanks sissy I will check into defy, we are going to give it time to dry before sealing/staining.
https://www.deckstainhelp.com/defy-extreme-stain-review/
We find that the Defy Extreme Wood Stain to be the best performing water-based deck stain on the market. The zinc oxide nano-particles do double duty in preventing UV fading and preventing mold or mildew growth. The Defy Extreme penetrates into the wood grain extremely well for a water-based stain, resulting in a non-filming coating that is not prone to peeling or wear from traffic. We personally use the Defy Extreme on about 30-50 deck restorations every year in the Midwest and is one of our go-to brands.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Only bad thing I found about it was that you have to keep stirring it while you are staining .I had to also strip my deck because I used an oil first before I found out oil stains do not last under damp conditions ,they turn an ugly shade of black when they get wet .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well no stripping here, one deck never treated the other brand new. We will just let it dry the clean it well.

Thanks for the info Sissy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh I made the mistake of oil and no one told me .I had to strip one deck so lucky it was the smaller of the 2 decks .Your welcome .Defy is not cheap but if it worked on docks ,I figure it would work here .I think they have youtube videos also

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They say to wait for it to dry, the deck forum does and the defy does, so we will wait until spring. Then do the cleaning etc and use it.

The removal!
IMG_1942.jpg

The install
IMG_1945.JPG
IMG_1950.JPG
IMG_1962.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We still have deck to finish and rails to replace, but the tub is sitting on new decking!

Ask a Question