The ripple effect....need a good deck protector

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
haven't read everything yet, gotta get back to work
But what you want will require reapplication year after year, if you want clear and opaque, I like Cabot products. Having stain will last a bit longer 1-3 yrs depending on sun and elements. But paint will be the most durable. After doing my deck yearly, sometimes twice when it got older with the clear stuff (stay away from Thompsons), I used stain. When the wood started to really dry out, I went to paint to prolong needing replace it. I'm guessing a deck using just water proofing will only have about 10 years, maybe 15 if out of the sun. If I planned to stay where I was at for the long haul, I'd definitely go engineered. Having done my homework there, but sure there's help out there. My deck is about 15x60 so, a rebuild will likely not happen as there's other projects needing more attention.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used the cabot oil and in humid conditions it turns black ,Had to strip the whole deck lucky it was the smaller one and returned the rest to home depot .Since she is done that would not be good and plus her little missy would need to be watched .Safety is number one when it comes to pets and children .It takes 1 mistake .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
did you consider dropping the tub into the deck? I tried to convince my wife years ago but no go.
We're not really hot hub people, maybe when the kids were younger...

I store my tractor and mower under the deck. So it would not work well.

Ask a Question