water change

lee

Reaction score
hi av been looking for threads on water change and has been no hope am just wondering when and how often should u do a water change and how much to take out ?
:twisted:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lee said:
hi av been looking for threads on water change and has been no hope am just wondering when and how often should u do a water change and how much to take out ?
:twisted:

Most in here recommend 10-20% every week. If you have fishies. (if I am remembering right) I am doing a water garden so not worried about lil fishies.

lee

Reaction score
pok then thanks addy1 do i need to put sum of this water treatment stuff and that in there coz my fish av been fine and all that in my pond is tap water !

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes if you are doing a big water change, you want to dechlor the water. The water after being in the pond loses the chlorine, but when you add new water the chlorine level is higher in the newly added water from the tap.

Reaction score
I have only been ponding for a little while now but I try to do water changes at least once a week and at an amount of 20-30 % (hard to judge) I also add Dechlorinator at that time I don't seem to be having any problems with my fish! you should be able to find it at your local gardening store that deals with ponds. Also may be able to find it at local pet stores but may not be in the quantities that you may need!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The stuff you buy should have directions, i.e. how much to use for the size of the pond.

lee

Reaction score
o ok then do i put Dechlorinator in if a do a big change or on a small change to ?
and is thay anyfing a should do before a add new fish to my pond ?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
that debate is an ongoing one...i only dechlorinate on water changes over 10% but many dechlorinate on all water changes and top offs. but if your doing 20%ers yes, dechlorinate. on ,my basement pond i have put lines on the liner with a paint marker at 10% 15% and 20% so i know when to dechlorinate and how much salt to add.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
on my basement pond the water level is kept at 36" so 3.5" is 10% 5.25" is 15% and 7" is 20%...now the basement pond is straight down walls and a flat bottom...easy. are your walls sraight down with a flat bottom?

Ask a Question