Weirdest thing you found in your pond?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by brandonsdad02, Jun 23, 2012.

1. brandonsdad02

Tiny Termite

I like Baby Bunny Stories, but not yours dieselplower, Poor Baby Bunny.

Here's that Creepy Video of a Rat Tailed Maggot. The last minute of this Video interest's me, I see a Wiggly Jelly type something that looks Alive, It looks like it is coming out of the Maggot, but it looks nothing like a Drone Fly...

I'm Fwightened

Tiny Termite, Jun 23, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. brandonsdad02

HTH Howard

One winter we moved the koi out of the deepest pond and filled it with water lily pots. In the spring I waded in to lift them out which is much easier to do with water in the pond. When I stepped out my legs were covered with planaria nearly an inch long. I scraped them off, took a showed, and still picked a few more off. They did not break the skin. :)

We turned the koi loose when we finished with the pots and they made quick work of them. I expect there are a lot of little critters that would get much larger in our ponds without the fish to eat them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HTH, Jun 23, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. brandonsdad02

Tiny Termite

Tiny Termite, Jun 24, 2013
  4. brandonsdad02

jeffery

land planaria i was watching the fish and seen this guy out of the corner of my eye . i thought it was a baby snake until i looked twice

Attached Files:

jeffery, Jun 29, 2013
  5. brandonsdad02

cr8tivguy Tim Thompson

I still haven't found anything odd in my pond. After reading through the posts I'm actually looking forward to discovering some weird stuff and posting it out here.

cr8tivguy, Jul 1, 2013
  6. brandonsdad02

richyd

Whilst cleaning out my pump I found a fully grown frog in there. Ok so frogs are common, but how the hell did it fit through the tiny holes on my pump casing. Still baffles me to this day

richyd, Jul 1, 2013
  7. brandonsdad02

leet13

A shubunkin baby that was a half of an inch long.... still not convinved that its from my shubunkin because no one looked to carry any eggs plus I only ever found one very tiny fish. My moms friend gave me pond plants and she has new babies all of the time in her pond. I guess I will never know for sure how this fish got there. It is currently 3 to 4 inches long.

Also I found some weird looking crawfish thing but it was gray and looked to be soft bodied. Strange.

leet13, Jul 1, 2013
  8. brandonsdad02

Tiny Termite

Well I now have a Rat Tailed Maggot Pupa, the Colour has changed overnight, from Pink to Dark Brown. It lost it's Tail a week ago, it seems the Tail just Dies, it starts to die at the anal end and becomes a Burden to them, they drag it around like unwanted baggage.

Here's a Photo of the Pupa

[attachment=57264:p4020576.jpg

Attached Files:

Tiny Termite, Jul 14, 2013
  9. brandonsdad02

Sunshine

C02 cartridges, BB's, paint balls, chunks of cement ... I have such lovely neighbors.

Sunshine, Jul 14, 2013
  10. brandonsdad02

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Quite honestly, after having a real live pond up & running for a whole year.....the weirdest thing I've found in the pond is that.......

......THE FISH ARE STILL ALIVE, AND THRIVING!!!!!

:) :) :)

Mmathis, Jul 15, 2013
    HARO and fishin4cars like this.
  11. brandonsdad02

Troutredds You can call me Red

We found a bald baby bird head at the base of a waterfall. The poor little guy's eyes weren't even open yet. Crows must have got him. My wife screamed...

Troutredds, Jul 18, 2013
  12. brandonsdad02

Tiny Termite

P4030787.jpg
    Just a quick update.

The Rat Tailed Maggot Pupa is 40 days old today, it hasn't changed very much apart from the colour. I thought a couple of times I saw it moving slightly, but as it's so small I can't be exact on that.
    Last weekend I found another Rat Tailed Maggot out of water, so been keeping an eye on this one too. This one is very different, it still has it's Tail attached and it also grew something else.

P4030967.jpg

Maybe ones Female and the other is Male.

Tiny Termite, Aug 22, 2013
  13. brandonsdad02

Nepen

a foot long tapeworm (just reallized it's a tapeworm just now through google) Saw it yesterday and was wonder wha it was, near my pond, coiled like snake, then an hour later it was gone, couldnt find it anywhere. I'll have to try to find it again and will have to kill it... EWWWWWWWWWW

Nepen, Aug 22, 2013
  14. brandonsdad02

Tiny Termite

It could be a Horsehair Worm, but whatever it was let's hope its hiding somewhere you can't find it, why Kill Things, what's the matter with you Nepen?

Tiny Termite, Aug 22, 2013
  15. brandonsdad02

Nepen

It's not horsehair, I've checked.

No, I dont kill things just to kill it. The most I could do is feed it to my fish (but that's only if I know it wont harm my fish or start living inside my fish), or is that a crime too? Tapeworm is a different matter when it comes to critters. I like little critters, I dont want parasite near my kid and my animals.

Nepen, Aug 22, 2013
    Nyboy likes this.
  16. brandonsdad02

Nepen

So after some more research and conflicting information (a few site talked about tapeworm have the picture of this worm, which made me think it was true, good thing I made some more research) I found this to be just a flatworm, which will not be living in any one's body :) seems like lots of rain make them come up to the surface since normally they live deep in the ground.

But the other weird thing I found in my pond is netspinner! They look like alien :) http://aquaticinsectsofcentralvirginia.blogspot.com/2011/01/common-netspinner-caddisfly-family.html

Nepen, Aug 22, 2013
    Tiny Termite likes this.
  17. brandonsdad02

Waterbug

Weirdest thing I've found in my pond was all my time and money. OK, I didn't actually notice it, my wife had to point it out...several times.

Waterbug, Aug 24, 2013
    HARO, Nepen and Mmathis like this.
  18. brandonsdad02

Tiny Termite

Yesterday morning the 14 day old Pupa became a Female Drone Fly, but unfortunately died shortly after emerging.

P4040125.jpg

You can tell it's Female by the eyes, they are separated, where as the Males eyes are connected.

P4040134.jpg

I may have been watching a very dead Pupa all this time, but if it is Male then it has to transform Gender, from Female to Male and that could take some time, so I will continue to watch it.

Tiny Termite, Aug 29, 2013
  19. brandonsdad02

MitchM

2 moose.

Moose visit-09.jpg

MitchM, Oct 2, 2013
  20. brandonsdad02

Pondmaster

A baby red eared slider, which is strange since I live some distance from any creek or river.

Pondmaster, Oct 2, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question