Weirdest thing you found in your pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
javascript:poiZoom(.26333,51.13245,map,11);
I like Baby Bunny Stories, but not yours dieselplower, Poor Baby Bunny.

Here's that Creepy Video of a Rat Tailed Maggot. The last minute of this Video interest's me, I see a Wiggly Jelly type something that looks Alive, It looks like it is coming out of the Maggot, but it looks nothing like a Drone Fly...

I'm Fwightened

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
One winter we moved the koi out of the deepest pond and filled it with water lily pots. In the spring I waded in to lift them out which is much easier to do with water in the pond. When I stepped out my legs were covered with planaria nearly an inch long. I scraped them off, took a showed, and still picked a few more off. They did not break the skin. :)

We turned the koi loose when we finished with the pots and they made quick work of them. I expect there are a lot of little critters that would get much larger in our ponds without the fish to eat them.

lots_of_pots.jpg

planarian2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone

Here's that Creepy Video of a Rat Tailed Maggot. The last minute of this Video interest's me, I see a Wiggly Jelly type something that looks Alive, It looks like it is coming out of the Maggot, but it looks nothing like a Drone Fly...

I'm Fwightened

Mmmmmmmm, some Interesting fact's if anyone's Interested.

Life History -- Drone flies have an unusual and little-studied life cycle. The female fly lays 4 or 5 eggs on or near contaminated water, sewage or other decaying organic matter. The larvae which hatch from these eggs are reported to reproduce paedogenetically, that is, each one gives rise to 7 to 30 daughter larvae. This method of reproduction may last for some time, but periodically female and male flies are also produced. Larvae can withstand many adverse conditions but are eaten by other fly larvae, particularly those of the genera Ophyra, Muscina, Phaonia, etc. Pupation usually occurs in a site drier than that in which the larvae developed. The number of annual generations produced is unknown.

So my Video may have captured some Daughter Larvae, this is a very strange World we live in.

Reaction score
land planaria i was watching the fish and seen this guy out of the corner of my eye . i thought it was a baby snake until i looked twice

Attachments

• IMG_0865.JPG
    IMG_0865.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 233

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
I still haven't found anything odd in my pond. After reading through the posts I'm actually looking forward to discovering some weird stuff and posting it out here.

Reaction score
Whilst cleaning out my pump I found a fully grown frog in there. Ok so frogs are common, but how the hell did it fit through the tiny holes on my pump casing. Still baffles me to this day

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
A shubunkin baby that was a half of an inch long.... still not convinved that its from my shubunkin because no one looked to carry any eggs plus I only ever found one very tiny fish. My moms friend gave me pond plants and she has new babies all of the time in her pond. I guess I will never know for sure how this fish got there. It is currently 3 to 4 inches long.

Also I found some weird looking crawfish thing but it was gray and looked to be soft bodied. Strange.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone

I'm Fwightened

Mmmmmmmm, some Interesting fact's if anyone's Interested.

Life History -- Drone flies have an unusual and little-studied life cycle. The female fly lays 4 or 5 eggs on or near contaminated water, sewage or other decaying organic matter. The larvae which hatch from these eggs are reported to reproduce paedogenetically, that is, each one gives rise to 7 to 30 daughter larvae. This method of reproduction may last for some time, but periodically female and male flies are also produced. Larvae can withstand many adverse conditions but are eaten by other fly larvae, particularly those of the genera Ophyra, Muscina, Phaonia, etc. Pupation usually occurs in a site drier than that in which the larvae developed. The number of annual generations produced is unknown.

So my Video may have captured some Daughter Larvae, this is a very strange World we live in.
Well I now have a Rat Tailed Maggot Pupa, the Colour has changed overnight, from Pink to Dark Brown. It lost it's Tail a week ago, it seems the Tail just Dies, it starts to die at the anal end and becomes a Burden to them, they drag it around like unwanted baggage.

Here's a Photo of the Pupa

[attachment=57264:p4020576.jpg

Attachments

• P4020576.jpg
    P4020576.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 272
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
C02 cartridges, BB's, paint balls, chunks of cement ... I have such lovely neighbors.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Quite honestly, after having a real live pond up & running for a whole year.....the weirdest thing I've found in the pond is that.......

......THE FISH ARE STILL ALIVE, AND THRIVING!!!!!

:) :) :)

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We found a bald baby bird head at the base of a waterfall. The poor little guy's eyes weren't even open yet. Crows must have got him. My wife screamed...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
P4030787.jpg
Just a quick update.

The Rat Tailed Maggot Pupa is 40 days old today, it hasn't changed very much apart from the colour. I thought a couple of times I saw it moving slightly, but as it's so small I can't be exact on that.
Last weekend I found another Rat Tailed Maggot out of water, so been keeping an eye on this one too. This one is very different, it still has it's Tail attached and it also grew something else.

P4030967.jpg

Maybe ones Female and the other is Male.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
a foot long tapeworm (just reallized it's a tapeworm just now through google) Saw it yesterday and was wonder wha it was, near my pond, coiled like snake, then an hour later it was gone, couldnt find it anywhere. I'll have to try to find it again and will have to kill it... EWWWWWWWWWW

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Nepen said:
a foot long tapeworm (just reallized it's a tapeworm just now through google) Saw it yesterday and was wonder wha it was, near my pond, coiled like snake, then an hour later it was gone, couldnt find it anywhere. I'll have to try to find it again and will have to kill it... EWWWWWWWWWW
It could be a Horsehair Worm, but whatever it was let's hope its hiding somewhere you can't find it, why Kill Things, what's the matter with you Nepen?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Tiny Termite said:
It could be a Horsehair Worm, but whatever it was let's hope its hiding somewhere you can't find it, why Kill Things, what's the matter with you Nepen?
It's not horsehair, I've checked.

No, I dont kill things just to kill it. The most I could do is feed it to my fish (but that's only if I know it wont harm my fish or start living inside my fish), or is that a crime too? Tapeworm is a different matter when it comes to critters. I like little critters, I dont want parasite near my kid and my animals.

Ask a Question