What does your pond look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We had a sheet of ice thick enough to walk on a walk ago then the temps warmed into the 50's and 60's so all the ice melted away. Gave me a chance to scoop most of the leaves out of the pond that dropped in the last few weeks. I also started the pond back up (with the changes I made last spring it is very easy to turn it on and off and drain out the hoses). I figure Ill keep it running unless it starts getting down into the single digits. Here are some pictures of a beautiful fall morning.
DSCN8957 - Copy.JPG
DSCN8955 - Copy.JPG
DSCN8954 - Copy.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well we broke the record high temperature in Northeast Ohio yesterday at 70 degrees. We were actually working in our yard without jackets, gloves, etc. and we were very comfortable. Got a water change done in the pond and cleaned and flushed the filter and shut if off for the upcoming winter weather we are supposed to see later this week (should be back to normal weather with snow and all)

As a side note if anyone read my thread earlier this year when I lost all my fish. We never really did figure out exactly what happened but I ended up draining and letting the pond dry out and restarting. My husband and I have our suspicions that they fish were poisoned either by accident (from the neighbors) or on purpose by someone in the neighborhood (who knows we have had lot's of changes on our street with new people moving in as renters which is different from the past where everyone owned their homes) anyway as I was cleaning/weeding around the pond I realized the fence that is between my yard/pond and the neighbors house is broken at the post. Makes me wonder if someone was attempting to climb the fence and if so for what reason? Any way just thought I would mention it.

I took this picture of the pond yesterday. Looks so bare but the fish seem to be doing well so for that I am thankful :)

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bigmiss/media/001_zps0cgsbisc.jpg.html] [/URL]

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Well we broke the record high temperature in Northeast Ohio yesterday at 70 degrees. We were actually working in our yard without jackets, gloves, etc. and we were very comfortable. Got a water change done in the pond and cleaned and flushed the filter and shut if off for the upcoming winter weather we are supposed to see later this week (should be back to normal weather with snow and all)

As a side note if anyone read my thread earlier this year when I lost all my fish. We never really did figure out exactly what happened but I ended up draining and letting the pond dry out and restarting. My husband and I have our suspicions that they fish were poisoned either by accident (from the neighbors) or on purpose by someone in the neighborhood (who knows we have had lot's of changes on our street with new people moving in as renters which is different from the past where everyone owned their homes) anyway as I was cleaning/weeding around the pond I realized the fence that is between my yard/pond and the neighbors house is broken at the post. Makes me wonder if someone was attempting to climb the fence and if so for what reason? Any way just thought I would mention it.

I took this picture of the pond yesterday. Looks so bare but the fish seem to be doing well so for that I am thankful :)

It's possible the fish were unintentionally poisoned. I knew someone who had a very nice large aquarium, he had large party one night and someone put cigarettes in the tank killing all the fish. It doesn't take much.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's possible the fish were unintentionally poisoned. I knew someone who had a very nice large aquarium, he had large party one night and someone put cigarettes in the tank killing all the fish. It doesn't take much.

That's sad someone would use an aquarium as an ashtray. Poor fish...

We had an unusual number of spiders this year so we thought possibly the neighbor may have sprayed insecticide to try and get rid of them.

I have seen this neighbor pouring bleach on her driveway which is part of the reason I suspect she may have used some other chemical without much regard to my pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, Ohio weather was perfect for doing yard work yesterday. Raked leaves, mended fence and moved some rocks around the pond. Fish were up from the bottom checking out the nice weather too.

View attachment 88088

Sounds like we both had productive days yesterday :) My fish were active and up from the bottom as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The trout are hungry. I stopped feeding them 3 weeks ago, and turned off the aerator. Most were still spawning, and weren't interested in food. The pond was iced over 3 or 4 days after that. With the warm temps and spawning season over, the fish are u near the surface and very active. I'm hoping to get better pics of my fish before they go to the bottom for winter. Here's one for now, though.

DSCF8271.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yesterday was in the 50's, average fall day. I woke up at 2 am for no reason whatsoever and couldn't go back to sleep. At 2 the snow just started to fall. I watched tv for a few hours and looked out the window at 4 am, there was about 6". I just took these pictures and it is still snowing with no plans of stopping until late tomorrow.

DSCN8975.JPG
DSCN8976.JPG
DSCN8977.JPG
DSCN8978.JPG
DSCN8979.JPG

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The trout are hungry. I stopped feeding them 3 weeks ago, and turned off the aerator. Most were still spawning, and weren't interested in food. The pond was iced over 3 or 4 days after that. With the warm temps and spawning season over, the fish are u near the surface and very active. I'm hoping to get better pics of my fish before they go to the bottom for winter. Here's one for now, though.

DSCF8271.jpg
Hard to get a good pic, huh Mike? They are nervous by nature and well camouflaged - harder for predators to get a bead on them. Feed them sparingly while you still can, if you like. They process food more efficiently in colder waters than koi and goldies do. Our rainbows are spring spawners, unlike your brookies (and browns) that breed in the fall. Your fish probably have the post-spawning munchies. ;)
image.jpeg

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yesterday was in the 50's, average fall day. I woke up at 2 am for no reason whatsoever and couldn't go back to sleep. At 2 the snow just started to fall. I watched tv for a few hours and looked out the window at 4 am, there was about 6". I just took these pictures and it is still snowing with no plans of stopping until late tomorrow.

View attachment 88106 View attachment 88107 View attachment 88108 View attachment 88109 View attachment 88110
Beautiful winter wonderland!

Ask a Question