What does your pond look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I actually ended up raking the pond.
Someone will be building a cover next year. :)

I raked my pond a few times this fall too :( keep me posted on your net plans next year, I am planning the same.

BTW, Where can you get a really large net with small holes? I need one that is at least 20' x 30'

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Amazon has a roll of 84" x 100' window screening. I could cut it into three 33' lengths and sew them together so it would be 21' x 33'. I bought my hubby a heavy duty sewing machine for Christmas... If I can figure out how to use it I could sew it together using a thick thread of some sort. Just brainstorming as I really have no idea what I am doing LOL.

I can run about any saw in a wood shop, but have never used a sewing machine. They scare me LOL

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I used fishing line to sew pockets for my window screen. I was actually going to look at iron on patches as well since I hate sewing and have no idea how it works either. I'll keep you posted. I'm sure we can get creative and figure something out

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Amazon has a roll of 84" x 100' window screening. I could cut it into three 33' lengths and sew them together so it would be 21' x 33'. I bought my hubby a heavy duty sewing machine for Christmas... If I can figure out how to use it I could sew it together using a thick thread of some sort. Just brainstorming as I really have no idea what I am doing LOL.

I can run about any saw in a wood shop, but have never used a sewing machine. They scare me LOL
Why not make a frame (or two or three) out of wood, or better yet pvc tubing, and tack your screen material to that? I was going to do that for our pond myself, but it wouldn't help without somehow covering the stream/falls area too. Maybe pitching a canopy or tent, like these, would work - but if you get stronger winds I wouldn't trust them.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I'm curious to see what you and @tbendl come up with because we have a similar problem with needles, leaves, branches etc...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am thinking about using long pieces of electrical conduit. Stake rebar into the ground on either side of the pond, lay the long pieces of conduit across the pond then slide them over the rebar. If the conduit is a foot or two longer than the distance between the rebar it will cause it to bend to a arch of sorts. Do that every 4' or so and drape the net over it. I can use rocks to sit on the net edging to hold it down in wind since it would just be a temp fall thing.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That's better than a frame or canopy for deploying quickly and temporarily, that's for sure. If we don't net/screen our stream also though, all the crap will funnel into our pond anyway. Maybe we should screen everything, like you and T are thinking.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just found this pic in a quick goggle search. This is what I have in mind, only much lower. Probably only 2'-3' at the highest point off the surface of the pond. with joints it can be taken apart easily for storage and the net simply rolled up.

winter_pond_cover2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hard to get a good pic, huh Mike? They are nervous by nature and well camouflaged - harder for predators to get a bead on them. Feed them sparingly while you still can, if you like. They process food more efficiently in colder waters than koi and goldies do. Our rainbows are spring spawners, unlike your brookies (and browns) that breed in the fall. Your fish probably have the post-spawning munchies. ;)
They definitely have the munchies. 2 days ago, I had to run back to the house for more food.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just found this pic in a quick goggle search. This is what I have in mind, only much lower. Probably only 2'-3' at the highest point off the surface of the pond. with joints it can be taken apart easily for storage and the net simply rolled up.

winter_pond_cover2.jpg
I've seen this done with PVC but I would run center one adding T connectors to give it some more strength, also I agree Pecan, only a few feet high, just enough to keep the leaves off the water, and low enough to sustain some wind if we get it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is the netting I use in the early spring (when all the red buds drop from the trees) and in the fall when most of the leaves fall from the trees. I switch out to something less sturdy and close nit as this is so tightly woven it is hard to see through it. It is a very heavy duty and nice net although probably a bit pricey especially for a larger pond.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163 9413 23557&pcatid=23557

Ask a Question