What does your pond look like ... Today?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer I aspire to your level of organization!

I have to. I used to spend way too much time looking for one photo in a folder filled with thousands of photos.

I actually wish I could be better organized. I've always organized by topic and year, but I take so many photos now days that I decided a couple months ago to organizing everything by month as well. After hours of doing that, I realized for some reason, it keeps defaulting to alphabetical order rather than month order, so I've been having to rename each folder "1 - January", "2 - February" and so on. It drives me crazy!! and don't get me started on the folders' default images always being reset! :banghead:

:ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I wanted to show a pic of where the main spring is in my pond. The unfrozen circle you see , is about 6 to 8 feet in diameter. It helps to keep my fish warmer in the winter months. The spring is in about 12 feet or so of water.
DSCF8294.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Are you still running your aerator, Mike?
I turned the aerator off in mid November, Mitch. The diffuser seems to be about 8 feet from the spring. I have been waiting for this circle to determine this. Any closer to the spring, and I would have to move it. I don't want to take the cool water away from that area in the summer months. That's where the fish go, if the water gets too warm.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Having a spring fed pond is the best.
We have a surface spring that feeds our big pond from about 30 feet away from the pond surface level.
Have you ever tried using your diving equipment and having a look at where the spring enters the pond?
Have you ever measured the volume of water that your pond receives from the spring, or measured the year round temperature differences?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Having a spring fed pond is the best.
We have a surface spring that feeds our big pond from about 30 feet away from the pond surface level.
Have you ever tried using your diving equipment and having a look at where the spring enters the pond?
Have you ever measured the volume of water that your pond receives from the spring, or measured the year round temperature differences?
As you know, in 2014 I had a huge algae outbreak. I hand set the diffuser this past April. The silt was so bad from the dead algae, I had to feel where the bottom of the pond was, and feel to make sure the diffuser was reasonably flat on the bottom. Visibility was pretty much zero, The pond cleared up in a few months. Much less algae bloomed this year.
My goal is to improve water visibility so I can do a lot of diving in the pond, this coming summer. I want the fish to get used to me, check out the spring, and look for creatures living in the pond. I may build a few more shelters for the small fish with rocks too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Also, the spring is kinda weak. It has been known to go dry in July. Other than that period, spring water running through the pond ranges from 20 to 120 GPM
I plan to record pond temp starting this summer.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
As you know, in 2014 I had a huge algae outbreak. I hand set the diffuser this past April. The silt was so bad from the dead algae, I had to feel where the bottom of the pond was, and feel to make sure the diffuser was reasonably flat on the bottom. Visibility was pretty much zero, The pond cleared up in a few months. Much less algae bloomed this year.
My goal is to improve water visibility so I can do a lot of diving in the pond, this coming summer. I want the fish to get used to me, check out the spring, and look for creatures living in the pond. I may build a few more shelters for the small fish with rocks too.
Would be super cool to have an interactive pond, I've stuck my head in the water with a mask on to see what's going on, but to actually dive in the pond would be fantastic.

Ask a Question