What does your pond look like ... Today?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WELL I went out and checked the ponds, finally.

The deer have been eating the lilies leaves yanking them out of their pots dumping the pots over. I have a bunch floating, roots on the surface, no leaves left on a few. Guess it is a trip to wally world to get kitty litter replant time. I need to move one, which is a beautiful pink with wrinkled pedals. The deer have eaten every leaf off of the plant. It has one bud left. Get it out of their reach.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The deer are getting through your net @addy1 ?
Last year a deer crawled under the net on the big pond.
This year it is snacking on the lilies in the fishless ponds, no net, and the netted 1000 gallon pond. The net does not totally cover it. The deer is sticking its head under the net in the 1000 gallon pond eating up the leaves.

Guess I need to go and buy some kitty litter save the poor things.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I remember the video of the deer in your pond. They must have found out how tasty the lilies are. Are you going to net the fishless ponds to keep them away from your lilies?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you going to net the fishless ponds to keep them away from your lilies?
The fishless ponds now have fish. I saw a few small 2 inch fish in the pond. The eggs must have made it through the pump down the garden hose into the pond.

No I won't net it, I only have the two other ponds netted against the heron. I have the mayla in the big pond, so if it gets totally eaten I have more. The pink/orange in the 1000 gallon pond is my only one so it needs to be moved out of reach.
IMG_1481.JPG

look at the size of the pads they are all gone now
IMG_1485.JPG

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I like that pink water lily. My lily pads don't get nearly as big.

Reaction score
my pond looked terrible. 2 dead fish right out on top of the edge. I think it was a cat or the white Herron. plus 3 days ago there was a carcious floating. I think its the neighbors cat. the owner passed away recently and I think the family just lets the cat out all day. I will have to have a talk with them. I really would not want to hurt there cat. Its just being a cat. But...... I have had these fish for over 7 years.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Goodness Addy, what a snack that deer got. I thought I would pop in with a hello. I've been crazy working on my sunroom and of course decided to put 13 horses before the cart. Bought 13 new pots and I haven't sanded and painted the floor yet.
Must...
Not....
Buy.... Plants...
If I buy the plants I'll never do the floors.
Well I did buy a white bird of paradise and a few liriopes... But those were IMPORTANT in the planning phase of this here sunroom... Hehe
Oh and I bought wine... Because ALSO IMPORTANT for the planning phase.
I also bought a nifty plant stand that I am going to turn into a table...
Please baby jebus give me the strength to drive past the nursery and not stop!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
In keeping with the "natural" look, we found a nice stump with some bright yellow/orange lichen on it. Wiggling it loose was like pulling a tooth. The base was about 18" into the ground still and I had to work it back and forth for a while before I was able to extract it. I think it fills in the little empty "hill" nicely and there's a small lupine coming up in front it, that was already there. A larger lupine is in bloom just the other side of the waterfall.

91_0006.jpg

Ask a Question