What does your pond look like ... Today?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Here are a couple of pics taken this morning. I need to get out there and cut the plants in the window boxes back and trim lilies. My hardy blue and purple lilies don't want to quit! I've had blooms every day that last all day!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    303.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    310.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 130

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well weather is something and wanted to add my new filter but temperatures are back into the 70's and low 80's again .Don't want to mess with the filters when they are still working hard .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
After 2 days without a pump, things are finally back to normal, ammonia is back down to 0.0 and everyone's happy!
I just have to wonder though how can the fish be fine for months without filtration in the winter, when only 2 days with minimal water circulation allowed the ammonia to rise to 0.25?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
After 2 days without a pump, things are finally back to normal, ammonia is back down to 0.0 and everyone's happy!
I just have to wonder though how can the fish be fine for months without filtration in the winter, when only 2 days with minimal water circulation allowed the ammonia to rise to 0.25?

It only works because you won't be feeding the fish so they will be producing almost no ammonia.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How long before the pump was removed did you stop feeding?
I fed them the day before in the late afternoon...I don't know exactly when the pump stopped working,sometime between 6:00am and 11:00 am cause it was fine in the morning and dead at lunch time
I feed very little now that the temps are dropping, 0 to 1 time a day and just a few sticks each fish

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
15098146077452072606652.jpg
just put the diy icehole generator. Made it last year and it worked great. We only had 4 inches of ice though. I can lift the insulated lid an look down to the deepest part of the pond. Runs on a 25w blue lightbulb only. All winter I can look out the window and see the light so i know its working.

Abe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4B-5A
Country
Canada
View attachment 106050 just put the diy icehole generator. Made it last year and it worked great. We only had 4 inches of ice though. I can lift the insulated lid an look down to the deepest part of the pond. Runs on a 25w blue lightbulb only. All winter I can look out the window and see the light so i know its working.

Hey Pat , what an original and neat idea ! is that a floating icebox ? can you give us more
details about it ? I search your past posts but did find any info. Abe

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hey Pat , what an original and neat idea ! is that a floating icebox ? can you give us more
details about it ? I search your past posts but did find any info. Abe
I took a plastic tub and made a pvc frame around it so it floats on the pvc. Cut the bottom from the tub 1 inch from the edge. Lined the inside with 1 inch foam for insulation. Put a cheap ceiling light fixture on the inside wall and wired it with outdoor extension cord.
Small flap over the handle holes on the ends to block wind but let air escape (the purpose of the hole in the ice)
Two layers of 1 inch foam for the lid. One cut over sized and the other cut to fit inside. Hold the lid on with bungie cord.
Spray paint to hide the name where the tub came from.
I made this in about 2 hours with stuff laying around. I didnt need to buy anything for it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I embarked on a "Month by Month Pond Picture" project earlier this year. I take a picture of the pond from the same spot on the first day of every month. It's been fun to see them side by side. When you see the pond every day, the changes seem less dramatic. But from one month to the next it's pretty cool! I take the photo from an upstairs window so I get the whole pond in one picture.

Here's November's shot. One thing that stands out to me in this picture is how many leaves are still on the trees and bushes this late in the season. To the bottom left is our big magnolia bush - that is typically completely bare by now as are the bushes at the top right. Extra warm and wet fall has slowed down the leaf drop. I think we'll have leaves and snow all falling at the same time!

November 1.JPG

Ask a Question