What does your pond look like ... Today?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No matter what they can fail also .Some can not use gfci's on pumps .Some bigger pumps blow them out .

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
But, anything electrical you use in or on a pond should be on a gfi outlet. If, and it is unlikely, something should happen, the circuit should blow instantaneously. If anyone is not using gfi, they're asking for trouble.
It is a gfi outlet.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I bought some cheap ones that look just like yours @ZEROPILOT and they could be used in water too but after awhile they stopped working in the water so I now only use them outside of the pond. Glad they did not shock the fish or me!

@addy1 wow you done good girl and it looks great, you can see so much more now! Looks like a lot of hard work. How's your back now?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have seen people coat them around with clear silicon so the lights don't leak .If they are led silicon will work but if they are halogen the housing will get hot and melt the silicon and anything else around it .Even in water .I learned that the hard way .Don't want anyone else to make that mistake

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 wow you done good girl and it looks great, you can see so much more now! Looks like a lot of hard work. How's your back now?
Back is fine, legs took the hit, balancing on those rocks, to keep this warm water loving body out of that cold water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Looks great @addy1 ! I love when you purge your plants........my pond has benefitted :)

My pond is ugly, hidden under the solar cover :( About 50 degrees and sunny today, so decided to back wash the sand & gravel filter. I pulled back the cover to get to the skimmer and was able to see my 4 koi! They were still swimming around .

We're getting cold temps this week end.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I can sit in my den and look at my fish.
They swim around all winter under the ice

Attachments

• 15110238593431080421371.jpg
    15110238593431080421371.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 98
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No pics but, my pond was super clear this summer. I had to clean out a ton of green algae slime though. The plants would filter it. After they got overloaded, it would float and I could remove it. After it got cold the water turned brownish. :( I think it;s due to the string algae that showed up after the neighbors had septic work and filled my pond with a huge algae bloom in 2013.
This summer, I had a professional fisherman come and remove 30 trout between 16 and 20 inches. Anything smaller was released. He fished 3 days in a row. The second and 3rd day he brought friends. They had a blast. The largest weighed a little over 5 pounds. I asked him how much, because the state record for brook trout is 5.75 pounds. He couldn't remember. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't over population that was contributing to the problem. I also raked out what string algae I could reach. My main concern is I didn't have a successful hatch this year. I'm pretty sure all the sediment is the cause.

My lower pond wasn't that clear this summer due to lack of plants. No algae though. Right now, that pond is crystal clear. The fish (brook, brown and rainbow trout) are doing great. I have plans to make a bog for the 1st pond next year.
Both ponds are iced over right now.

Ask a Question