What does your pond look like ... Today?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Guppies Still alive and Outside in temperatures as low as minus 40 below!! They were covered with cheap plastic dome and old blankets and snow. Two fish tank heaters made this possible and kept water at about 70 degrees.
I know, Crazy but there they were, still outside and alive when I checked on them today!

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
132C22F2-88B3-46AF-903F-5DFF8E6AA03D.jpeg
Christmas eve night was snowy here. It didn’t stick around long, though. Also, a barred owl vistied our pond in late December. A beautiful bird - but it ate five of our comets. I wouldn’t believe it if I hadn’t caught her (or him) in the act one night. I looked it up on YouTube and it turns out this type of owl Is in videos across the US snatching pond fish. I added a light under the owl’s tree perch and hung some holographic tinsel there. No more owl, for now anyway.
B1F31FCB-80B2-4740-B9D0-329F440D1284.jpeg

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Wow that's awesome! I once had a big snowy owl fly very low right over my ponds at night, I just happened to look up at the right time and wondered why it flew so low right over my ponds... They are very beautiful predator birds, wings so soft they make no noise, and eyes in front of head make them the perfect predator like us!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My pond is shut down now. We had a very cold couple of weeks. I have the air hole open but that is it. Getting a good size storm today and then then some very cold weather again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Man o man...the cold snap continues...coldest January here in Indiana since 1928 so far...haven't been above 20 since Christmas eve. Had to break out the breather the bubblers were struggling keeping it open with the several lows in the minus temps.

Should I unplug the bubblers guessing they are doing no harm and will help open it up quicker when it begins to thaw.

Hope the fishys are ok...guessing they are... I could see a few before the bubbler holes iced over and the ice clouded up.

Guessing about 5 inches of ice.
20180104_171111.jpg

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are saying we will climb to 48 next week. My breathers are still breathing!
I checked the bees, a light tap on the hive box with your ear on it you can hear them buzz, all hives are still alive!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It has been brutal here. I have never seen snow covering the whole pond. I could not even tell if either pump was running. I have one pump in the pond and one external pump that is gravity fed from bottom drains. I made it to the pond today and both pumps are running and the flow is great! What a relief!

pond.jpg

Ask a Question