What does your pond look like ... Today?

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Was out in misty rain to take a few pics .My waterfall spitter I made is clearing things up fast you can see the bottom nicely .The white speckles are the crushed oyster shells that aggie broke open the bag .With all the rain the pond is really full and 3 more days of this rain .You can barely see the baby fish in pic 2 View attachment 108218 View attachment 108219 View attachment 108215 View attachment 108216 View attachment 108217 View attachment 108214 View attachment 108213
Your babies from this year???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Photoshop is the de rigueur because it was one of the first to be accepted by the artsy/film/advertising folks and became mainstream for what it does. Adobe had a huge momentum and as usual, once you get accustomed to an interface, you stick with it. PS is one of the programs that made the Mac so popular among artists (and still is, though the gap isn't what it once was). And if you're the type that is making money with the software, you'll continue to buy because you can recoup your investment. Not so much as a hobbyist. I've had Photoshop since v2.0 (came free on my comp) and got a discounted v3 so many years ago. I don't upgrade regularly and stick with a version for a long time, basically until my comp wouldn't play nice with it anymore. That said, I'm holding with CS6 because I too dislike the subscription model. If you do the math, and upgrade as each new version came out, the subscription model comes out cheaper $$ than upgrading (typically, an upgrade was over $200 each time). But that's only if you upgrade regularly. For someone like me (hobbyist), it doesn't make sense either way, so I just hold old versions until I can't anymore.

PS was created by Thomas Knoll while a grad student at Michigan, calling it Display and later, Image Pro (which was taken) then subsequently Photoshop.

There are MANY alternates to Photoshop. What PS had originally (and mostly still) is that it can give files ready for print (CMYK) and had max print capability (as well as total integration with Illustrator, the vector creation software). Unless you're a professional, you don't even need this capability. Plus, it was one of few programs that had layer capability (was a HUGE breakthrough in the day as EVERY change/addition/edit could be overlaid and adjusted independent of the bottom layers, etc) at the time. Now, many have this ability. If you google, you'll see there's a FREE copy of a program called GIMP. It's an open source emulator of PS. It'll do just about everything PS can do. The catch is, you have to unlearn the PS interface a bit and get used to the new one. As is the case with EVERY copycat/emulator. And most, once they get used to something, it's less than ideal to learn new habits. We like what we like and don't want it to change, hardly at all. My wife likes to do graphics too and fought this idea when Paintshop Pro went old along with her PC and I 'Mac-inized' her (mostly because fixing PC issues made me prematurely gray) compared to Mac issues.

There's quite a few alternatives now that are not as expensive. GIMP, Pixelmator, Corel Paint, Corel Paintshop Pro, Paint, Acorn, Seashore. Which are all raster programs as opposed to vector art (imo, a bit harder to use).

And a lot of the dedicated photo apps also include some PS abilities when adjusting photos.

JB; I found your adjustments could have gone further in that you can pull out the medium gray shades more/better in the two examples you posted, using the middle slider in the Levels dialog. (course, it may be my monitor--as of the moment, my tv, that is showing this darkness, but since the blacks and whites look fine, I figure the middle grays just need more tweaking). I'm attaching my simple try at the above; please don't take offense and yes, I know ALL art is subjective. Just pointing out how to pull shadows out from under exposure.

PS sample after2.jpg

For most folks, PS type programs are overkill since most just want to 'fix' their photos and there's more than a few software programs that'll help you do that. Though, I still use PS for a lot of that as I've gotten used to it first. A lot of folks used LightRoom, and are also now wailing because Adobe has gone subscription with that, too.

Adobe makes good software but many are looking for alternatives, whether for cost consideration or standalone/subscription ideals. Professionals though, will stick with what has worked, at any price. It's only us hobbyists that have to keep up and adjust with the times, usually changing and altering our programs to fit our need.

Michael

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Babies from last year that hid out on me .Not sure how they hid but they did .I thought I had caught all the babies ,but nope 15 more different sizes .Some a half inch long up to 3 maybe 4 inch's long .I caught about 20+ babies last year and thought I got them all after days of looking closely in the pond for escapees .

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you google, you'll see there's a FREE copy of a program called GIMP. It's an open source emulator of PS. It'll do just about everything PS can do. The catch is, you have to unlearn the PS interface a bit and get used to the new one. .

I used to use GIMP. Admittedly, it was awhile ago and I don't remember much about it anymore. It's probably been updated quite a bit since then, too. To my knowledge, it didn't have multiple ways to go about doing similar things like Photoshop does, and didn't seem to have nearly as many features. I found it could do a lot of basic and necessary things, but at that time, it lacked what I needed to make things picture-perfect.

JB; I found your adjustments could have gone further in that you can pull out the medium gray shades more/better in the two examples you posted, using the middle slider in the Levels dialog. (course, it may be my monitor--as of the moment, my tv, that is showing this darkness, but since the blacks and whites look fine, I figure the middle grays just need more tweaking). I'm attaching my simple try at the above; please don't take offense and yes, I know ALL art is subjective. Just pointing out how to pull shadows out from under exposure.

View attachment 108236

Michael

I'm not a fan of that, but I take no offense to it at all. In your edit, they're too light for my taste, because the days themselves were both very dark and cloudy days. I want to preserve that mood. The second photo in particular was in a dark forest while it was raining. I don't want it to look like it was a bright, sunny day. It also nearly removes the soft shadow under the Wood Frog. I like shadows. Shadows are interesting. The Monarch photo was taken on a very dark and gloomy day as storms were all around the area. The Monarch's body also looks gray in your edit, where in reality, they are much darker than that. It may pull more detail, but it changes things from reality and ends up hurting more than it helps.

Now, as you said, it could very well be the difference in monitors, or just difference our editing styles. I've had different monitors that show things very differently, no matter how much you adjust them. My current, but very old, monitor shows me images almost exactly as they'll print, which is a great benefit for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I used to use GIMP. Admittedly, it was awhile ago and I don't remember much about it anymore. It's probably been updated quite a bit since then, too. To my knowledge, it didn't have multiple ways to go about doing similar things like Photoshop does, and didn't seem to have nearly as many features. I found it could do a lot of basic and necessary things, but at that time, it lacked what I needed to make things picture-perfect.

I'm not a fan of that, but I take no offense to it at all. In your edit, they're too light for my taste, because the days themselves were both very dark and cloudy days. I want to preserve that mood. The second photo in particular was in a dark forest while it was raining. I don't want it to look like it was a bright, sunny day. It also nearly removes the soft shadow under the Wood Frog. I like shadows. Shadows are interesting. The Monarch photo was taken on a very dark and gloomy day as storms were all around the area. The Monarch's body also looks gray in your edit, where in reality, they are much darker than that. It may pull more detail, but it changes things from reality and ends up hurting more than it helps.

Now, as you said, it could very well be the difference in monitors, or just difference our editing styles. I've had different monitors that show things very differently, no matter how much you adjust them. My current, but very old, monitor shows me images almost exactly as they'll print, which is a great benefit for me.
I agree and surmised as much; styles differ, tastes subjective. I was showing what can be done with the Levels slider in that detail that looks lost can be found. Cameras have not surpassed or equaled the DR level of our eyes, yet, so most of them bias the picture either toward not over exposing highlights or giving the most shadow detail. And I bet you can see more detail the day you took this pic(s) than your pic shows. But, I understand.

*double checking; better cameras can give you about 15 stops of DR whereas the eye can see 20, so any pic you take is going to lose detail (compared to what you see) in the shadows. Add to this that when you print, you're only getting 5-7 stops, so both computer/camera and print aren't ever going to give you exactly what you see the day you took the pic. But that's why art is art; there is no wrong, just perception.

GIMP IS a lot better now, almost as good as PS, but as noted, the interface is different and would take some 'unlearning/relearning'. I've used it and it'll probably be my go-to once CS6 can't be used (or I'll maybe look into Pixelmator as that too has gained a lot of PS-ability).

I'm viewing on my tv as of this moment and my comp usually shows a lot better, but again, was just illustrating the technique more than anything. I still like the pics for framing and composition. You're quite correct to use a monitor which shows more closely how your art will look printed. Spent more than my fair share of time trying to coordinate pigment colors of inks and phosphor colors of light on a screen. Even calibrated screens. Once you have your profile though, make sure you keep it safe!

Michael

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just downloaded GIMP, now need the time to learn how to use it ;)
Thanks for the info Michael

I've been messing around with it for a couple hours. It's significantly better than the last time I used it, but some things are weird. Either I don't know what I'm doing or it just doesn't have what I'm looking for. Like file thumbnails so I know what file I want to open. All it shows is a thumbnail of a selected file. It would take me all day to search for what I want to open. Trying to figure out if I'm missing something. Also loads changes slowly.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine flies through changes, loads quickly, but I have no clue what I am doing and don't have the energy to play with it right now.

Did a few random changes, just to check it out. Maybe I picked out quick and easy changes lol

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sitting in my den watching the Olympics and it just started snowing

Attachments

• 20180217_141526.jpg
    20180217_141526.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 20180217_141532.jpg
    20180217_141532.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 100

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Started raining here and the say next week just about everyday a chance of rain but a lot warmer .

Ask a Question