What does your pond look like ... Today?

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
I drilled a test hole this morning and the ice is down to 10 inches thick now. You can't see into the valley because of the fog and light snow falling.
You can see the 2 pond breathers sticking up through the snow.

View attachment 67862
How well do the pond breathers work & how much electricity do they use?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
How well do the pond breathers work & how much electricity do they use?

They kept running all winter, despite our -40 temperatures. They use about 40 watts each.
I can't say how well they kept the pond aerated because I have no way to test the water.
The pond bottom water temperature did not go below 38F. (5 foot depth)
I liked the fact that the pond had a safer solid ice cover. I wasn't worried about any animals falling in.
With a trough heater you will have thin ice around it which could be dangerous.

Reaction score
WOW all your ponds are amazing.

Hi i am new to this forum and after only ten minutes of looking around i am already getting helpful tips. At the minute my pond is suffering from an algae bloom i have today installed a UV sterilizer so fingers crossed in a few days i should see some difference is there any other advice that i could do to help this process along.

Thank you in advance :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey, I've been on these forums for a year today!

Here's how my pond looks today. Nothing new with it, though I did move the lilies and cattails up to the top step. I'm pretty much leaving it sit until I decide if I can expand it this year or not.
DSCN4459.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I also found the first plant growth around my pond area! Its my favorite plant too, the Sweet Woodruff my grandma gave me last year. Judging by what I saw, it spread pretty nicely too! Can't wait to replant some of it later this spring.

DSCN4461.jpg

(I'd suggest everyone to look this plant up. Its a fantastic ground cover that stays green from Spring to Winter, grows in full sun or full shade, and gets little white flowers for awhile. It really looks great along rocks and the edge of water and can actually grow between the rocks to give it a nice natural look)

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I also found the first plant growth around my pond area! Its my favorite plant too, the Sweet Woodruff my grandma gave me last year. Judging by what I saw, it spread pretty nicely too! Can't wait to replant some of it later this spring.

View attachment 68162

(I'd suggest everyone to look this plant up. Its a fantastic ground cover that stays green from Spring to Winter, grows in full sun or full shade, and gets little white flowers for awhile. It really looks great along rocks and the edge of water and can actually grow between the rocks to give it a nice natural look)
I saw some growth as well on my perennials starting to come up, but the weeds seem to be doing better.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
gotta love Minnesota 15 minutes ago

I hear parts of Minnesota and Northern Wisconsin could get well over a foot of snow! I am so glad I'm in southeastern WI, even though sometimes I think another 100 or so miles south would give me the perfect length of winter.

Ask a Question