addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Today we are hitting near 54f so bee hive inspections, see how they did over winter. And Dentist and cleaning and whatever else hits.
Currently a cold 23

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy- have you started up your bog yet?
I am going to soon, we just got back from Florida and doing catch up. I need to go out and groom all the dead out of it, ie leaves, plant parts etc. I just rake it. The plants have not started growing yet. This morning heavy frost, again. Most likely will have the ponds running next week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Had to come to work in the truck, recent rain flooded out my road again. Next two days off, so I’ll be staying home!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I lifted the pond cover over part of the pond so I could see inside. I saw 2 of the 4 and hubby saw the other 2 yesterday, so thinking they're all accounted for.

I pumped out some of the pond water to flush out the sand and gravel filter and replenished with some fresh water. I recovered the pond and am not starting the filter yet, probably next week or so.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Still. Playing.

Most cars in this game are acquirable by "purchasing" them from the fictional money you earn for racing, but these two had to be unlocked by completing some excruciatingly difficult challenges. It was worth it, though. Both are two of my favorite cars of all time. :)

'69 Ford Mustang Boss 302
PhotoByJB_ForzaHorizon4_20190314_02-01-48 copy.jpg

PhotoByJB_ForzaHorizon4_20190314_01-39-26.png

2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon, and I created a Barracuda paint scheme for it.
PhotoByJB_ForzaHorizon4_20190313_20-12-36 copy.jpg

PhotoByJB_ForzaHorizon4_20190313_18-12-11.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We inspected 9 hives yesterday, all queen right, all alive, one a bit weak, may or may not make it. We gave that one extra food, extra pollen see if they can recover. Today check 6 more hives.

May even groom the bog, it will be almost 70f, rain tomorrow then back down in temps for a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It’s my weekend! So today I’m going to try making tamales. I also had wind take down a tree across our drive yesterday, so I’ll undoubtedly have to help the guys get that cut up and remove it. Winds yesterday gusted up to 60mph, we had other trees drop branches. I’ve got vehicles all over the yard, we couldn’t park them where we normally do due to risk of falling limbs. So the tree across the drive was a surprise on my way home last night!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Batch 1 was a bit of a flop. Too much lard, not enough salt in the dough. So I corrected that, and batch two was much better, but I think I’m spreading the masa too thick. Oh well, batch 3 is all mine, it’s got plant matter in it! I added bell pepper I half cooked with the meat, so it’s still firm, but not crispy. The guys all seem to think plants are rabbit food!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was kinda bad. I bought more plants! Luckily they didn’t have all the ones I wanted, or I’d be in trouble . But I got a patch of bulbs from Walmart with two dark purple day lillies, some lavender things, and a pale pink peony. Then a pack of crocus, and a dalilah in stunning white with dark purple, another water lilly, and flower seeds! I planted the bulbs already, to hide the evidence from hubby, who’d just laugh. If they do well, I’ll be moving them around next year, maybe even this year, depending on the pond and bog. They are in a big planter now. I’m so ready for spring and ponding. Now I just need to bide my time and save up so I can build my pond like I want!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ve been fine tuning my pond idea. I’m trying to keep it good sized for the fish, but I see I’m shorting the bog. Without making it unwieldy sized, I’m thinking I’ll have to add bog area to the north another year. I’ll need more metal frames! So for this year, this is what I’ll try to accomplish. A berm raised 6”-1’ depending on how much dirt I end up with, all around it. Then I’ll put 4 of my metal frames right along the porch edge, fill them with dirt, so they sit about 2-3’ above ground level. I’ll slope the sides to either side and plant that with various plants to soften the look. The overflow from the bog will drop to a ledge about 6” deep, wide enough for me to walk on so I can tend the entire bog, and to allow water to calm before entering the pond major. The outer edge will have a shelf about 18 inches deep, kind of hollowed out a bit to allow planters to sit in there with out risk of falling off, but hopefully deep enough to prevent all but the bravest of raccoons from trying to turn the pond into a sushi bar. With lots of planters full of lillies, assorted water plants, and maybe some cute statuary, I think I can block most raccoons off. Then a ledge which will slope down from 24-30” deep, to a pit in the center 36” deep. That’s where I’ll set up egg crates to rest the pump on, with a diy large particulate filter. Not so deep I can’t get to it, but deep enough to avoid a bad freeze, give fish hiding places, and hopefully allow mulm to collect for ease of removal! As I like to just sit in my pond, enjoying the fish and lillies, I may make myself a comfy seat in there, where I can zen away a bad work day. Here’s a rough drawing of my plan. The red is the porch, orange is dirt built up for berm, yellow is the bog, and the blue is the pond. Sorry for how dark the picture turned out

Attachments

• AFFEFFF8-692A-49E5-A019-C6284E978313.jpeg
    AFFEFFF8-692A-49E5-A019-C6284E978313.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 79

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Went and picked up what I hope will be some good filter media to replace lava rock. Concrete wall anchors! Should be a lot easier to clean.

Attachments

• 15526955559881845799967.jpg
    15526955559881845799967.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 96

Ask a Question